Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anyone else starting to become a bit excited?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Das Reich wrote: »
    Sorry for asking on this thread but there is no asking thread on the forum. Some person called me from London saying about my account with btc markets and how to activated. I have no account with them, just a forex account with ic markets that probably did forward my details to them. Both are Australian. The man was insistent asking me to click on the link he sent by email to activate my account. I just said I wouldn't in case of scam. What are the chances that this is scam and if is where to report?

The chances of it being a scam are 100% You should contact ic markets and ask them if they forwarded your details and if they say not, then ask is it possible they were hacked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Das Reich wrote: »
    Sorry for asking on this thread but there is no asking thread on the forum. Some person called me from London saying about my account with btc markets and how to activated. I have no account with them, just a forex account with ic markets that probably did forward my details to them. Both are Australian. The man was insistent asking me to click on the link he sent by email to activate my account. I just said I wouldn't in case of scam. What are the chances that this is scam and if is where to report?

what are the chances of this being a scam? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    what are the chances of this being a scam? :rolleyes:
    I've got £1 gazillion Ugandan Shillings in Kampala National Bank waiting for you from the estate of your late uncle Chimbala. Send me on your bank details and I'll have it wired to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

JJJJNR wrote: »
    #Slt mooning

Still pumping.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Be aware it has 13K volume. It had zero volume from November to early Jan.

I have coins that jump e.g. 70% in 24 hours, but then I look at the volume

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Be aware it has 13K volume. It had zero volume from November to early Jan.

I have coins that jump e.g. 70% in 24 hours, but then I look at the volume

I totally agree.. this is different.. dex exchange volume is rarely reported. I'm enjoying the gainz though.

JP Morgan report on blockchain.

Ha ha ha.

So much for the Judge and Guards getting their hands on those Bitcoin.
    Irish drug dealer loses his £46MILLION bitcoin fortune after losing the piece of A4 paper with the access codes

Clifton Collins, 49, printed the codes on an A4 sheet of paper to remember them
    He then stashed the sheet in the cap of a fishing rod case at home in Galway
    But, after he was jailed, the house was cleared out and rods sent for incineration
    Irish police have frantically searched for the codes but they remain missing

Clifton Collins, 49, converted money made from selling cannabis in Dublin to Bitcoin in late 2011 and early 2012 when their value was at around £3. It has rocketed to £7,427.43

Collins has allegedly told the Irish police that the loss is punishment for his own stupidity and that he has come to terms with it, reports The Guardian.

The money he made from sales in Dublin was then stored in 6,000 Bitcoins between late 2011 and early 2012, when the value hovered at around £3 each. It was stored in accounts with 500 Bitcoins each.

Irish police have been frantically searching for the codes. Officers visited the dump where workers said they remembered seeing discarded fishing gear, but that it had probably now been shipped to Germany or China for destruction.
    The fishing rod case the Bitcoin access codes were stored in was sent to the dump
    The Irish Criminal Assets Bureau had seized the Bitcoin after applying to take ownership of them as a forfeit under the proceeds of his crime, reports the Irish Independent.

However, they have been unable to access them.

Officers are hoping that advances in technology will eventually enable them to access the accounts.

I'd come to terms with the loss too if I had mislead everyone and could still retrieve the pass phrase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

No one could understand his odd tattoos. :)

Albatross cycling mad yougurt
    Timber car tree energy
    Could move fire Tuesday

cnocbui wrote: »
    I'd come to terms with the loss too if I had mislead everyone and could still retrieve the pass phrase.
    :D

Maybe he's counting the days to his release date more than most!

• Advertisement

No one could understand his odd tattoos. :)

Albatross cycling mad yougurt
    Timber car tree energy
    Could move fire Tuesday

It's my bucket list. What, you never wanted an albatross?

So how do CAB actually know how much BITCOIN they seized?

It all sounds a bit “fishy” to me

A4 sheet in a fishing hat

And now they say technology advances might help them retrieve them in the future

If that happens I’m selling my Ledger nano

And now they say technology advances might help them retrieve them in the future

I have been thinking about this and suspect they have his wallet app and that they are hoping the Gardai may acquire a quantum computer, allowing them to crack the likely far simpler wallet password.

I have been thinking about this and suspect they have his wallet app and that they are hoping the Gardai may acquire a quantum computer, allowing them to crack the likely far simpler wallet password.

You can open my wallet and see what the contents are but you can't spend anything without the password.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

You can open my wallet and see what the contents are but you can't spend anything without the password.
    Not gonna happen.

Quantum doesn't even exist.

FFVII wrote: »
    Not gonna happen.

Quantum doesn't even exist.

It's in the post..

https://www.livescience.com/google-hits-quantum-supremacy.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Imagine your average gombeen Garda trying to crack a password with a quantum computer. :cool:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    Imagine your average gombeen Garda trying to crack a password with a quantum computer. :cool:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭themossinator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Ha ha ha.

"Officers are hoping that advances in technology will eventually enable them to access the accounts"

****ing morons even saying that part, just have to laugh at the blatant ignorance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ha ha ha.

Ha that was my first thought aswell, he has a crosshairs painted on his head now though. Reminds me of this XKCD:

lG5QXPs.png

Up 200%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Interesting ... stock markets are very down and gold is very up today as the world comes to the realisation that the coronavirus situation is neither getting better nor just an Asian problem anymore.

But BTC is not moving either way.

• Advertisement

Very interesting is the bnb partnership on an up coming real estate sto, binance listing is a no brainer from here.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Interesting ... stock markets are very down and gold is very up today as the world comes to the realisation that the coronavirus situation is neither getting better nor just an Asian problem anymore.

But BTC is not moving either way.

It is now.

Down a wee bit.

I've decided to trade some BTC into ETH and see how it goes for the short to medium term

think the potential gains from eth could out perform BTC in 2020

if BTC reaches the ATH in 2020 then its just over double what its at now, but even if ETC reaches 60-70% of its ATH then thats a better return

we shall see if the strategy pays off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Bought the weekly allocation of Bitcoin there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

banie01 wrote: »
    I'd crystalised some gains @10days ago....
    When i say some, i'd moved everything i owned back to Fiat.
    Will drop back in over the next month or so, but delighted my itchy trigger finger pushed the entire market up :P

Ye are welcome lads! :pac:

Slowly starting to move this cash pile back into crypto with some nice gains and plenty of buys set to trigger if this slideback continues.

I'd love to claim TA or market savvy led me to this strategy...
    but
    honestly, its sheer dumb luck.

• Advertisement

Slowly starting to move this cash pile back into crypto with some nice gains and plenty of buys set to trigger if this slideback continues.

At what price-point are you triggering your buys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

At what price-point are you triggering your buys?

For BTC I have range of triggers set between €8.5k and €7.7k the buys triggered so far have gotten me back in to exceed my original BTC pile with @11% gain on total holding.

Have a similar set of triggers for LTC and ETH, expecting ETH to go sub €180 and LTC back to@ €50.

Also went back in on XRP on a complete hunch this morning @€;0.215.

The crypto pile is growing while the value is dropping but thats usually when \i accumulate.

Anyone in on Dash? Haven't researched it much but would it be a genuine long-term prospect/possibly return to ATH?

For BTC I have range of triggers set between €8.5k and €7.7k the buys triggered so far have gotten me back in to exceed my original BTC pile with @11% gain on total holding.

Have a similar set of triggers for LTC and ETH, expecting ETH to go sub €180 and LTC back to@ €50.

Also went back in on XRP on a complete hunch this morning @€;0.215.

The crypto pile is growing while the value is dropping but thats usually when \i accumulate.

I would possibly go in on sub €150 Eth this year (especially if there's a downward slide towards the end of the year) and BNB if it goes below €13 or €14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Broke my own rule and bought the dip (a bit). Had a bit of excess FIAT this week so I'll try justify it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Arrival wrote: »
    Anyone in on Dash? Haven't researched it much but would it be a genuine long-term prospect/possibly return to ATH?

As you probably know it is one of the main contenders in terms of privacy coins with Monero and Zcash. From what I can tell this is not the best one from a privacy perspective, but it is the one with the strongest organisation behind it trying to push commercial adoption (with rather limited success to date - they pushed hard for adoption as a POS payment methods in South America but I don’t think it has been doing great on that front). Zcash seems to have support from academics and privacy activists as the better technical solution in terms of providing privacy, and Monero seems to actually see the largest real work use as a privacy coin (possibly pushed by its popularity for illegal transactions).

I personally don’t don’t see a clear winner is this race at this stage, and the other question to think about is whether privacy coins in general are a good place to be (there will likely be demand for it, but they will also generate the strongest pushback from governments as they are harder to monitor as opposed to the likes of Bitcoin).

So going back to Dash, there is nothing wrong with it and it might do well, but I personally don’t see anything which makes it particularly stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭themossinator

anything Dash can do bitcoin can do, devs are working on privacy stuff for bitcoin at the moment. What's the point of monero, zcash, ****coin2679 when they are not secure/centralised? oh yeah, it's printing money to make someone rich

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

Total novice here.

Thinking off buying some bitcoin - is now a decent time or should I hold off for awhile?
    Also, is Binance a good/safe site to use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

No one really knows. But I think it is As good a time as any. It has been on an upward trajectory this year but has currently seen a dip. Hopefully it lasts a week and starts climbing again.

How much are thinking of buying?

Nothing major - maybe around the €100 mark to get started.

• Advertisement

Mr.Maroon wrote: »

One of the "safer" fiat-to-crypto exchanges is Coinbase. You can buy a variety of cryptos like Bitcoin and Ethereum there directly with fiat. They have an insurance policy on their fiat deposits last I checked.

Binance is also decent, although they have had one or two hacks (they are one of the largest exchanges so they were able to handle the hacks without going insolvent)

On a side note, personally I always recommend buying in stages (never in one single large amount) because no one can time the top or the bottom of the market.

Belgacoin is very easy to use: https://www.belgacoin.com/

I use kraken and agree with advice to buy in stages

Maybe plit your €100 into a few differeant amounts and try to pick it up at various prices to give you a feel for setting up buy orders rather than chanse the market

The trade fees are always lower aswell if you set buy orders compared to market orders

At the moment bitcoin is a bit in no mans land...most people will say its a good time to get in, some others will say wait. If its for an investment then maybe get in

It might also be an idea to look at others like Etherium

dont see a lot of buyers interested at the current price...think we are going to consolidate for a few days

According to the CME futures chart the gap is at $8580 and wasnt filled

Kraken registered $8516 today but I know that means 5h!t cos its not what CME had which is a pity

It does seem to be just creeping up slowly by $15-20 every hour since it bottomed out this morning

Chainlink is the only holding I have thats been in the green since yesterday, although I'm starting to see a few others turn green recently

Ok - got my account set up on Binance and bought my first €20 worth of BTC.

It's all a bit confusing atm, so I think I'll wait a few days before I start setting up buy orders etc until I get the hang off it.

Ok - got my account set up on Binance and bought my first €20 worth of BTC.

It's all a bit confusing atm, so I think I'll wait a few days before I start setting up buy orders etc until I get the hang off it.

Major rule
    Don’t panic buy when you see it go up quickly
    Just take a deep breath and remember they generally come back after pumping and vice versa

Also don’t panic sell when it’s dropping fast

Bitcoin only has to sneeze and it can drop 10% in a day so just a bit of advice

You’ll get used to the volatility

Buy as it’s dropping is usually a good strategy

Good luck

24 hours after the sharpest drops we have green back on CMC and like clockwork prices start to inch up again from the averages today

I reckon traders and bots make a mint off that

Bob24 wrote: »
    As you probably know it is one of the main contenders in terms of privacy coins with Monero and Zcash. From what I can tell this is not the best one from a privacy perspective, but it is the one with the strongest organisation behind it trying to push commercial adoption (with rather limited success to date - they pushed hard for adoption as a POS payment methods in South America but I don’t think it has been doing great on that front). Zcash seems to have support from academics and privacy activists as the better technical solution in terms of providing privacy, and Monero seems to actually see the largest real work use as a privacy coin (possibly pushed by its popularity for illegal transactions).

I personally don’t don’t see a clear winner is this race at this stage, and the other question to think about is whether privacy coins in general are a good place to be (there will likely be demand for it, but they will also generate the strongest pushback from governments as they are harder to monitor as opposed to the likes of Bitcoin).

So going back to Dash, there is nothing wrong with it and it might do well, but I personally don’t see anything which makes it particularly stand out.

I might just throw a bit into each purely for speculation, if they even got close to ATHs again it'd make a few quid

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    24 hours after the sharpest drops we have green back on CMC and like clockwork prices start to inch up again from the averages today

I reckon traders and bots make a mint off that

You can say that again

I think next week we might see a bit of sideways movement to cool off after this week between $8500-$8950

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Triman111

Hi all. Very new to this and have one general question...what's the story about having/needing a bitcoin wallet. If I buy bitcoin on Binance can I:
    A - pay with debit card?
    B - does Binance or an other provide wallet as part of their service?
    Also how do people think the market will act leading up to halving

Thanks all

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement