Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minor accident claim or not...

Options
  • 03-04-2019 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

I was parked today when a person mis -judged the space and clipped me, quite a shudder but nobody hurt . Bumper is cracked and will have to be replaced, it is an old vehicle worth maybe 1200-1500 euro so I dunno if it would be a write off. The other party has admitted liability and as there are cameras all around anyway they could not really deny it. They want me to get it fixed privately and not go through their insurance, the thing is I am up to my tits in work and I just do not have the time to be off looking for quotes, at the same time I don't want to be unreasonable . What advice would you give me? Should I just let the insurance cover it , if not what else can be done that doesn't put me out too much? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

No need to get multiple quotes. Get a firm quote from wherever is handiest for yourself and look for the cash up front before getting it fixed to make sure you're not left out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

That is good advice thanks , thing is that the other party now wants their "mate who knows all the garages " to take a look at it , am I obliged to let them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

youtube! wrote: »
    That is good advice thanks , thing is that the other party now wants their "mate who knows all the garages " to take a look at it , am I obliged to let them ?

Their mistake, their problem. You can get it fixed anywhere you choose. Insurance will probably write off the car if it goes down that route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

youtube! wrote: »

Bullcrap. You are doing them a favour by not going through their insurance. As the previous poster said, get a quote from the garage thats most convenient to you, give the quote to the other party and if they balk tell them you want their insurers details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

OP entitled 100% to have repairs completed by garage of their choice.
    OP not obliged to accept repair by anyone else.
    OP must make car available for inspection by other side.
    Other side can negotiate and agree repairs costs with OP's garage but that will be for a complete repair.
    Any messing - give it over to OP's insurers for repair and they can recover outlay and if asked nicely will include OP's uninsured losses :) .

• Advertisement
Advertisement