Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Bike?

Options
  • 03-04-2019 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭

I didn't want to start a new thread on this, but basically looking to see if anyone has any suggestions on what to buy or not buy while I'm considering changing bike.

My Felt Z5 has served me very well over the past 6 or so years of commuting, but after the last service I have been informed I am in need of circa 200 euro worth of work to be done, as well as probably needing new wheels as well.

After spending around 250 last year on it as well (any jobs outside basic cleaning/oiling/break pads are done by LBS) I think it is time that I upgrade it.

Outside of cycling a bike I wouldn't have huge knowledge, my commute is daily and consists of 10km each way from Dublin 11 to city centre.

Should I bother keeping carbon over aluminium? Should I bother pushing for brake discs over pads? Is it worth going the extra bit to get 105 over Tiagra? Is there anything else I should consider?

Budget ex accessories is probably going to be 12-1400 euro and availing of the bike to work scheme. I took a look around the internet and was looking at some Cannondales that I wasn't mad on, and the Giant Contend SL 1/2.

TIA for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

If it's exclusively for commuting a hub-gear city bike would serve you much better. Something like the Cube Travel Pro which comes with dynamo lights, hub gears (never wear out), fat tyres for comfort, hydraulic disc brakes (no adjustment required) and a rack for your panniers...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

It is exclusively for commuting, rarely ever do longer spins on it.

All of that sounds great, bar the riding position being back to an upright position. The weight is down as near 16kg, presumably this would be quite a bit heavier than road bikes around the same price bracket?

Is there anything else to keep in mind with an option like this, such as increased servicing or repair costs or anything like that?

Think I'd prefer discs for a commuter , I prefer them anyway but for commuting you don't really get a lot of choice if you are riding in the wet or dry and I definitely prefer discs in the wet. Typically with disc frame you have much wider selection of tyre sizes to choose from too, so could run a wider tyre to your preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

VW 1 wrote: »

All of that sounds great, bar the riding position being back to an upright position. The weight is down as near 16kg, presumably this would be quite a bit heavier than road bikes around the same price bracket?

Is there anything else to keep in mind with an option like this, such as increased servicing or repair costs or anything like that?

I think repair costs tend to be less. Hub gears require little in the form of service, chains are stronger and don't wear out. Hydraulic disc brakes are low maintenance and dynamo lights mean no searching for batteries.

Weight is not that important commuting in Dublin as there's little enough in the way of hills.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I hate commuting on heavy bikes, I did it all my cycling life until this year, and I'd never go back unless there are no more options.
    If you are happy with a road bike get another road bike, light and nippy, that can take mudguards and a rack if you need it.
    I am a recent disc covert and I love them, I have hydraulic discs, and they're amazing. Loud but amazing.

That said I commute 40k a day on a fixie with none of the above :pac:

Bike wise I haven't a clue, I'm very much enjoying my Caad12, I don't know if that's on budget or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Moved into it's own thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

VW 1 wrote: »

Have a look at this thread, a good few options mentioned. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104928282

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I found hub gears draggy at high speed and went back to a conventional road bike.

Advertisement