Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying deposit on a house but no key nor lease agreement until move in date.

Options
  • 03-04-2019 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello all,

I'm in a bit of a situation. Basically, my fiancee and I are trying to rent a house. Today we got offered one and the letting agent has said that I have to pay the deposit by Friday via bank transfer, and then would receive the key and letting agreement on the move in day. We wouldn't meet up face to face for the deposit as he lives about an hour's worth of drive so he just doesn't want to do the trip there and back for a key.

What are your thoughts about that? I have done a fair bit of research on himself and his firm. They seem to be legit, but hard to find never the less. Would him writting me an E-mail stating that he's received my deposit be enough of a proof for me in case of any sort of a scam?

Thanks a bunch!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

No key no money - swap them on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

Sinus pain wrote: »
    No key no money - swap them on the day

I agree. Maybe offer a bank draft in stead of a bank transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Would him writting me an E-mail stating that he's received my deposit be enough of a proof for me in case of any sort of a scam?

If it's a scam the email aint gonna make the slightest bit of difference

Is it an high street letting agent or just an ad? Hmm letting agent - do you mean landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MidnightWolfie

fritzelly wrote: »
    If it's a scam the email aint gonna make the slightest bit of difference

Is it an high street letting agent or just an ad? Hmm letting agent - do you mean landlord?

I'm sorry, english is not my native language so I might be some mistakes, etc.
    It's a letting agency - so the house is not actually their own. I would pay my rent to them but they would deal with the landlord by themselves, I presume.

Have you seen the place?
    All sounds a bit weird

• Advertisement

Have you seen the place?
    All sounds a bit weird

I have, yes, about three hours ago we've met in person and the agent has shown me the house inside and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

If youve met the EA and inspected the property then its normal to pay the deposit by bank transfer and receive keys when you move in.

No harm ringing the EA office in the morning to double check the details if your worried something is wrong.

Have they asked for a booking deposit or first and last month's rent?

GingerLily wrote: »

Have they asked for a booking deposit or first and last month's rent?

They asked for the deposit first, and then once the lady and I move in we'd sign a lease and start paying the first month.

Sounds fine, can never be too careful - check if the company is registered on cro.ie if it's not a big name brand maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Speaking of ll point of view. This is standard practice. Have you physically viewed the property and is it advertised by a physical letting agency. If so then everything should be above board.

The reason why they look for deposit up front is so you dont let them down and decline it later on. The renting game is very fickle and a lot of people say yes we will take and can drag this on for a week before then deciding to back out. By you handing your deposit over, it shows you mean business and if you decline later, your deposit can be used against any incurred losses. The last thing an ll wants to have a property vacant due to a tenant backing out last moment.Contract and keys are normally handed over on move in day.

• Advertisement

Sounds fine, can never be too careful - check if the company is registered on cro.ie if it's not a big name brand maybe.

They are actually registered to cro.ie
    Fol20 wrote: »
    Speaking of ll point of view. This is standard practice. Have you physically viewed the property and is it advertised by a physical letting agency. If so then everything should be above board.

The reason why they look for deposit up front is so you dont let them down and decline it later on. The renting game is very fickle and a lot of people say yes we will take and can drag this on for a week before then deciding to back out. By you handing your deposit over, it shows you mean business and if you decline later, your deposit can be used against any incurred losses. The last thing an ll wants to have a property vacant due to a tenant backing out last moment.Contract and keys are normally handed over on move in day.

Yeah I have seen the property. Okay so it seems like everything is in order then.

Advertisement