Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancellation due to bereavement

Options
  • 03-04-2019 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

I was booked into a course but had to cancel due to a family member passing away. The course was a Christmas gift from my partner.

The course has not enough members to continue and has been cancelled and other members have been offered refunds.

I was told that if the course had enough people that I could be transferred to the next one but of it had to be cancelled that I couldn't.

It was an expensive course and I'm wondering do I have any rights in this case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Your post is hard to follow

Did you cancel your place and then down the line the course was cancelled and people were refunded but you weren't?

Or did your course get cancelled and you didn't get the option to move to another place or a refund?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If you cancelled and then subsequently, with your cancellation being one of the reasons, the course was cancelled due to lack of participants then you have little recourse. Check the terms that applied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Benny Biscotti

sexmag wrote: »
    Your post is hard to follow

Did you cancel your place and then down the line the course was cancelled and people were refunded but you weren't?

Or did your course get cancelled and you didn't get the option to move to another place or a refund?

The course was cancelled due to me and others withdrawing. It fell under minimum numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

if you notified them in writing you were cancelling then you would be subject to their terms and conditions as to whether you should be offered a refund, or allowed to rebook later etc.

If you had expected to do the course, and it was cancelled due to no fault of your own, (like the people who didn't cancel) then you would be entitled to a full refund.

It is a change of mind scenario, so your rights reflect this. Read the T&C's carefully on their website then call up and speak nicely and calmly to the course administrators telling them that you had to cancel due to personal circumstances, ans wish to enroll on the next available course. If their T&C's suggest this is their policy it should be no problem, but of course if the course is subject to minimum numbers you could have to wait till that is achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Has the start date passed?
    If not, say that you wish to continue your enrolment. Then the ball's in their court to either allow you to continue the course, or to refund you.
    I'd definitely push for a refund if the course didn't run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

I would be of the opinion that if the course was cancelled and others were refunded then you too should be - or offered a place on a later course like you said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Degag wrote: »
    I would be of the opinion that if the course was cancelled and others were refunded then you too should be - or offered a place on a later course like you said.
    You're ignoring the reason it is being cancelled; because the OP and others like him pulled out. That negates any entitlement to a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

You're ignoring the reason it is being cancelled; because the OP and others like him pulled out. That negates any entitlement to a refund.
    Hmmm, i guess so. Especially if they had non refundable costs like advertising, venue hire etc.

Still may be no harm in trying or at least getting onto a future course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Can't say you will have many agreeing with that. In fact if this cancellation was what triggered the overall cancellation of the course then the course provider may be asking the guy posting here to compensate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

The course was cancelled due to me and others withdrawing. It fell under minimum numbers.

As the OP said, the withdrawl of a few participents made the course unviable and caused it's cancelation, those whose withdrawl made the course unviable would not be entitled to a refund, since for them it is a "change of mind", for the others, the provider cancelled in them and they are entitled to a refund.

• Advertisement
Advertisement