Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iCloud

• 03-04-2019 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭

i have a mac book
    somehow set up iCloud, no need for it, but its there
    recently my iCloud storage is full and i keep getting stupid prompts to buy more storage
    so this evening i went in to stop it from syncing with my mac
    and it deleted everything from my mac book, well i say everything, i had a number of folders sitting on my desktop and it deleted all those folders and all files in them,
    WTF.
    i tried rechecking the sync to see if it made a difference, folders came back, but nothing in them. (not surprised, they a new folders since my storage became full so i don't think these items ever would have been on cloud)

is my stuff gone forever or can i recover it somehow

please help

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

iCloud syncs your desktop and documents folders by default. If you disable it, you usually get an option to save them somewhere on your computer but maybe that's changed. I'm not too sure.

Either way, if I understand you correctly and you only disabled iCloud Drive, now that you have re-enabled it those files should sync back from the cloud but it may it take several hours. Make sure you are connected to power. In the meantime log into iCloud.com and click on iCloud Drive to check if the files are still there. Even they are gone you can still recover it in iCloud.com settings. There's an option in there somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

iCloud syncs your desktop and documents folders by default. If you disable it, you usually get an option to save them somewhere on your computer but maybe that's changed. I'm not too sure.

Either way, if I understand you correctly and you only disabled iCloud Drive, now that you have re-enabled it those files should sync back from the cloud but it may it take several hours. Make sure you are connected to power. In the meantime log into iCloud.com and click on iCloud Drive to check if the files are still there. Even they are gone you can still recover it in iCloud.com settings. There's an option in there somewhere.

not quite
    ICloud was full before I put these files on my desktop, so they never backed up to icloud. so when I re-enabled it, there was nothing to put back, except the folder names.
    I did however find the files, they seem to have been backed up to an archive folder.
    very hard to find files on mac. windows is much, much better for file organisation (though that's about the only thing it's better at :D)

Advertisement