Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buyers guide for Xbox one

Options
  • 04-04-2019 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭

Hi looking at getting an Xbox haven’t been into gaming too much into mainly strategy games and shooters so any help on what console I need to get etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Think about your budget. If you can afford it and get a good bundle deal, go for the XBox one ☓... It's better overall, even on a HD/1080p TV.

If you've been out of gaming for a while, then go for Xbox Game Pass and EA Access. Both are subscription services (€25 per year for EA and you can get initial deals on Game Pass). Combined, this will get you access to about 200+ games including big name shooters, sports, adventure, puzzle, platformers and a bunch of indies you've never heard of but can really surprise you (there is some dross among them too, but some real gems to be uncovered)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I got myself a 2nd hand XBox One a few years ago and it's still going strong. Like you I like strategy and 3rd person shooters (my TV isn't super high spec so not overly bothered about all the bells and whistles of the One X for the additional price) so it does me perfectly fine. Definitely consider a Gold membership and EA Access. There's piles of free games basically, a lot of them in the genres you enjoy.

My best tip would actually be get a cheaper xbox (ie 2nd hand or maybe the OneS) but get an Elite controller. It makes playing shooters SO much more fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

So the day of buying a hard copy of a game is over ? I think the basic Xbox one will do me what do I need for a hard drive size wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Nah, you can still buy disc-based games if you want to, my suggestions were just a quick way to get you up and running with a sizeable library of decent games for a low price.

Even if you buy disc games, they will need to install and run from hard drive and download patches occasionally. Most XBox One S come with a 512GB or 1TB drive installed. It should be enough to get you started, too.

If your library grows large, you can add any external USB 3.0 Hard Disk (min. 256GB).

As a rough guide, Halo: MCC (Halo 1-4 and optionally ODST and soon Reach) currently has an install size of 88GB... But that title allows you to selectively install the bits you want, so can be smaller.

Forza Horizon 4 is about 60GB.

Call of duty Black Ops 4 is about 40GB.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I'm on a 500GB since upgrading from the original to the S and haven't had too many issues. There's a little bit of juggling but not too bad if you've decent internet speeds and don't have loads of games on the go at once. Don't bother with an external when you're buying it, unless you're going to have crap internet speeds where you play it most.
    I'd also go against subscribing to Xbox Game Pass, particularly if you haven't been playing games recently. I prefer to focus on one or two at a time. Having huge libraries available to me means I end up not sticking with anything because there's always something else to try. That's probably a personal thing more than anything though. You might be fine at picking a few and sticking with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I have a 1tb Xbox on X fancy 4k HDR and more powerful then the s and I find the hard drive tiny some games are over 100gb like forza games and gears of War.

You will have it filled in no time. I also have a external hard drive plugged into the Xbox that I also use for storing games.

Even if you go disc must games now have up to a 50gb Download to go with it!!. So think ahead!!

Just a quick note on downloading/updating:

The speeds are brutal if you use the Xbox for anything else while the download is going on. I was hitting 20mb/s for some reason when updating RDR, but my brother suggested closing down the games I had been playing prior to that. If you press the Xbox button, then scroll down to any of the games or apps that show up in the list and press start*, there is an option for "quit".

When I did that the download speed jumped to 200mb/s+

*For some reason I'll always call those two buttons start and select

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

*For some reason I'll always call those two buttons start and select

Yeah, I don't even know the actual name for them, I'll use "start" and "select", or "rectangles" and "hamburger"

Advertisement