Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea Appliance Issue

Options
  • 04-04-2019 7:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭

An oven purchased from Ikea in summer 2017 has recently developed a fault, whereby it's essentially not getting up to optimum temperature.

Having spoken with their UK based returns team yesterday, they're fairly insistent that their process requires us to contact the manufacturer directly to resolve the issue.

I've always understood it to be the case that you dealt with whoever the retailer was & it's then up to them to liaise with their own suppliers accordingly. They've said GDPR precludes them from passing on our contact details to a third party, but I let it be known I'd provide written permission for them to do so.

If a manufacturers repair person wants to call to arrange an inspection, that's fine, but I'd far prefer any correspondence on the matter to be between ourselves and the store we purchased the oven from.

Am I being somewhat unreasonable in this case?

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/customer-service/appliance-claims/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Is it still under warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just all the manufacturer they will have a SLA support level agreement with ikea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

You are covered by the manufacturer's warranty, not the store's warranty.

If it developed a fault within a week, then you would be covered by the store and could deal with them. But their warranty has expired so now you have to deal with the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Consumer rights rest with the retailer. If there is an extended warranty with the manufacturer it may be easier just to contact them, but if you are making a claim under legislation it would have to be IKEA

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You are covered by the manufacturer's warranty, not the store's warranty.

If it developed a fault within a week, then you would be covered by the store and could deal with them. But their warranty has expired so now you have to deal with the manufacturer.

There is no mention of store warranties or a week in consumer legislation.

Your consumer rights lie with the retailer, always. You can choose to deal with the manufacturer, but that's a choice. In this case, it might be easier to get in touch with the manufacturer and see what they offer. If their offer is not satisfactory, you can still deal with IKEA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi OP

You have a choice here, as Dudara said. You can deal with manufacturer using warranty, or with the store under the consumer protection laws.
    I suggest you do which ever gets you a good result quicker.

So call manufacturer, and see what they are offering. if it is delivery of a replacement oven or swift repair, that might be satisfactory.

If your not happy with their offering, go back to store and ask customer services to fix the issue, tell them what you want done to resolve the issue. They have to offer you a repair a replacement or a refund. You don't get to pick which one, but you can suggest which one you would like at the outset.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

It's probably just me but I'd deal with the retailer in this instance if they are insisting it's nothing to do with them.

Depends which is quicker for you though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Thanks all for your input.

I suppose going direct to the manufacturer will ultimately expedite the repair. What irks me about Ikea's stance is that they're absolutely adamant that that's the only choice available to customers & they won't countenance the fact some may have a preference to deal with the store directly.

dudara wrote: »
    There is no mention of store warranties or a week in consumer legislation.

Your consumer rights lie with the retailer, always. You can choose to deal with the manufacturer, but that's a choice. In this case, it might be easier to get in touch with the manufacturer and see what they offer. If their offer is not satisfactory, you can still deal with IKEA.
    Are you covered by consumer protection laws for something you bought almost two years ago though? I really wouldn't have thought so. You just have what ever warranty was given.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Are you covered by consumer protection laws for something you bought almost two years ago though? I really wouldn't have thought so. You just have what ever warranty was given.

Done to death, yes in Ireland the sale of goods act, this can allow up to six years - note I say allow up to. The time varies depending on what would be "reasonable" to that appliance. Say a hairdryer - maybe two, a fridge maybe five.

If you needed to bring the retailer to smalls claims court etc. the sale of goods act would be used to adjudicate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Done to death, yes in Ireland the sale of goods act, this can allow up to six years - note I say allow up to. The time varies depending on what would be "reasonable" to that appliance. Say a hairdryer - maybe two, a fridge maybe five.

If you needed to bring the retailer to smalls claims court etc. the sale of goods act would be used to adjudicate.

You have till the statute of limitations to make a claim under our consumer law.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Do you work for Ikea? :p

no seriously a lot of people are not aware of their rights. the warranty is on top of your consumer rights and does not supersede them.

Do you work for Ikea? :p

no seriously a lot of people are not aware of their rights. the warranty is on top of your consumer rights and does not supersede them.
    No but they gave me free replacement fittings when I lost them during a move so I thought they were nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Yamanoto wrote: »

Having spoken with their UK based returns team yesterday, they're fairly insistent that their process requires us to contact the manufacturer directly to resolve the issue.

I'm guessing this is the problem. In my experience UK based customer service teams generally don't care about or know the difference in Irish laws vs UK. So probably working off their local responses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

daheff wrote: »
    I'm guessing this is the problem. In my experience UK based customer service teams generally don't care about or know the difference in Irish laws vs UK. So probably working off their local responses.

I'd imagine the Irish / UK legislation is very similar in scope.

A company like Ikea will know exactly what they're at in making it difficult for customers to engage with them directly on returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd imagine the Irish / UK legislation is very similar in scope.

A company like Ikea will know exactly what they're at in making it difficult for customers to engage with them directly on returns.

UK legislation is incomparable in scope in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You could be. It all depends on the product, it’s expected (reasonable) lifespan and if there was a genuine fault.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 vincedh

This happens a lot with electrical products and in a way the store is simply outsourcing the issue the same way phone companies usually outsource warranty repairs. It does not diminish your rights and in most cases it will speed up the repair or replacement of the item.
    If ikea (or any store for that matter) were to deal with it, they could insist that you bring the item to the store, they then accept it in, they then get the manufacturer's repair agent to call to the store to inspect, repair or replace the item, and then call you to come and collect it.
    Or simplify the process, take the un necessary middle bit out and get the manufacturer to deal direct with you on behalf of the retail store and call direct to your home and avoid you having to disconnect and transport the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

An oven purchased from Ikea in summer 2017 has recently developed a fault, whereby it's essentially not getting up to optimum temperature.

After 2 years, I'd probably be dealing with the manufacturer.

Also, when you say it's not getting up to the "optimum temperature".. I'd an oven in the past where I had to put the dial up to 200 for it to reach 180.
    I bought a separate thermometer after I realised one too many hens came out not fully cooked.

It's fairly common for ovens to require calibration. I'd guess it wouldn't be covered by warranty. You may be able to calibrate it yourself, either that or look into getting it serviced.

Advertisement