Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewiring (lights only?)

Options
  • 04-04-2019 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi,

I think my lights need to be rewired. A bulb blew a couple of weeks ago and it blew the fuse. I replaced it, but since then, when I turn on more than 2 lights the fuse board sort of hisses and the lights flicker.

It was a 10amp fuse that I put in, but that's what was there before so I'm assuming it's not supposed to be 20 and I don't want to check just in case!

The lights are the only issue it seems but the fuse board is definitely old (40 years).

All lights downstairs that aren't a plugged light are effected but only the landing light is effected upstairs. No rooms are effected. Downstairs there's 2 lights in the kitchen, 3 lights in sitting room (ceiling and 2 wall), 1 in the hall and 1 in the downstairs toilet.

Would anyone have any idea on how much it would cost to have the wiring or the fuse board replaced? I don't actually know what needs to be done, just that something is needed!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

RockDesk wrote: »
    Hi,

I think my lights need to be rewired. A bulb blew a couple of weeks ago and it blew the fuse. I replaced it, but since then, when I turn on more than 2 lights the fuse board sort of hisses and the lights flicker.

It was a 10amp fuse that I put in, but that's what was there before so I'm assuming it's not supposed to be 20 and I don't want to check just in case!

The lights are the only issue it seems but the fuse board is definitely old (40 years).

All lights downstairs that aren't a plugged light are effected but only the landing light is effected upstairs. No rooms are effected. Downstairs there's 2 lights in the kitchen, 3 lights in sitting room (ceiling and 2 wall), 1 in the hall and 1 in the downstairs toilet.

Would anyone have any idea on how much it would cost to have the wiring or the fuse board replaced? I don't actually know what needs to be done, just that something is needed!

Thanks

I’ve no idea re:cost, but I can tell you that we had the opposite problem a couple of years ago, our lights were working fine, but not sockets. Our fuse board was around the same age. There’s no way anyone would have just rewired the lights. If it’s old, it probably needs to be replaced altogether. If someone is wiring it, they’ll have to certify and sign it off, and they won’t do that unless they do a proper job. If you get it half done, and not signed off, your house insurance will probably be voided or some such thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

jlm29 wrote: »
    I’ve no idea re:cost, but I can tell you that we had the opposite problem a couple of years ago, our lights were working fine, but not sockets. Our fuse board was around the same age. There’s no way anyone would have just rewired the lights. If it’s old, it probably needs to be replaced altogether. If someone is wiring it, they’ll have to certify and sign it off, and they won’t do that unless they do a proper job. If you get it half done, and not signed off, your house insurance will probably be voided or some such thing.

Good to know, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

RockDesk wrote: »
    Good to know, thanks for that.

Good luck! We really struggled to find someone to do the job for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭wicorthered

I can give you my example. We had our house rewired last year. All in including fittings, vat, certs it cost 6,000. That was for a mid terrace 3 bed. We didn't go for many extras such smart heating, sound systems etc.

We were blessed in that the guy we used had a couple of quiet weeks due to the builders holiday, otherwise he couldn't have taken on the job. Getting someone in could be your hardest part.

You might also want to budget for replastering if it's a full rewire. I'd recommend it if you can afford it, made a huge difference to our rooms.

Advertisement