Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New kitchen / utility

Options
  • 04-04-2019 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi

Would anyone have recommendations as to where I might get a a cheaper but still good quality cabinets and worktop for a utility room. We are trying a number of the big kitchen places for the kitchen but trying to save some money on the utility but I don't know whether places like cash and carry kitchens or woodies are any cheaper? I'm based in Dublin 14.

I've found the process with lots of kitchen places frustrating as you spend an hour or more with them designing and tell them your budget with appliances and they all seem to come back over budget without the appliances!!! Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Try IKEA

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah Ikea a good option, they have an online planner so you've a fair idea of the price. Or you can do it with a kitchen planner online via email. They also do free planning in store but the waiting list is about 3-4 weeks.

I'd avoid Woodies to be honest, its over priced and poor quality for anything flat pack

I'm in the very early stages of planning something similar and my plan overall is to re-use the old kitchen cabinets in the utility room. Would this be an option?

There are companies/products out there where you can re-use the cabinets and just replace the doors handles, so yes

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

I highly recommend this lad:

http://www.absolutebespokecarpentry.ie/

We recently had cabinets made for our utility room, he made from scratch in his workshop and fitted.

Real professional to deal with, sent drawings etc before he started and we were delighted with the job done. We work 9-5 during the week so there was no issue with him coming out in the evening to measure up and installing the units on a Saturday when we were off work.

If you are on facebook (that's where my wife discovered him), check out his page he has plenty of photos of his work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I recently fitted a kitchen in my own place from
    http://diykitchenshop.ie/shopping/mall/diykitchenshop/Homepage/;jsessionid=27C63B113E030D2FCBFA748B51A9485E

They will fit them for you, at a price.
    Easy to use the website, to select the units we wanted. Took a while to select the right finish but very happy with the result.
    If you spend over €500 the units are assembled and delivered, rather than flat pack. Doors were pre drill for hinges, so only handles to be drilled.
    I'd recommend if your doing it DIY.
    I'm not sure how getting a fully fitted kitchen from them will compare price wise

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nextproject

Thanks for all the replies. We are not handy at all so DIY is not an option but we could look at getting a carpenter in alright. I'll have a go on the IKEA online tool and see how it works out. Its just so time consuming to find out what the various suppliers cost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Also check diy.com which is B&Q which has individual cabinets, doors etc. giving all sorts of options.

Thanks for all the replies. We are not handy at all so DIY is not an option but we could look at getting a carpenter in alright. I'll have a go on the IKEA online tool and see how it works out. Its just so time consuming to find out what the various suppliers cost!

Ikea also has an installation service, though it does cost a bit and you might save money by directly hiring a carpenter/skilled handy man, as it is just a couple of utility cabinets then any decent handyman could put them together in no time.

Another bonus of Ikea is their 25 year guarantee, I havent seen other operators offer a guarantee of anything over 10 years. Theres some cowboys Ive come across who I doubt will still be in business in 10 years time in any case whereas you could be pretty sure Ikea will still exist in 25 years time.

Advertisement