Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neutral?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

What the hell would you be joining a live there for anyway the live feed is already there connected to the dimmer switch.
    The answer to that is in the first post.
    Now two earths in the same wire, come on lads leave it to those who know.
    Well I think it was being jokingly pointed out that 230v between phase and another 2 wires, is not absolute proof that one is a neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Bruthal wrote: »
    The answer to that is in the first post.

I wasn't referring to the first post. I was answer comments in the thread where people were claiming the two "neutral" wires in the connector were a live feed.

Also if the OP has to come on a public forum to ask if they were a neutral I don't think he/she should be wiring up the smart switches tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I wasn't referring to the first post. I was answer comments in the thread where people were claiming the two "neutral" wires in the connector were a live feed.

were a live feed.

No, anyone with any sense ( me included) were claiming it could be a live feed

Just test it

Tomorrow in day light or even now if you have a torch disconnect the two neutrals which I know they are and also the feed and switch wire. Also turn off the electricity by the main switch easier for someone who doesn't know which circuit is which. Then disconnect the two wires in the ceiling light or what ever light the switch activates and short the live and neutral. Then go back to switch and connect the DMM to the switch wire and neutral and set it to beep and it should beep or show a short if you have it set to ohms.

Now you will know it is a neutral which I knew all along

Nothing would surprise me. Although as another poster said, it looked properly done, which indicated its a neutral.

What would have happened if they connected the smart switch, and the blue was a phase I wonder.
    Nothing really
    Also if the OP has to come on a public forum to ask if they were a neutral I don't think he/she should be wiring up the smart switches tbh.

Maybe not.

• Advertisement

How did you know all along ?

Were you at his house ?

Did you test it ?

You assumed.

If I was at the house, I would assume too, but I would be in a position to check it.

My gas boiler packed in last week. I was sure it was the PCB after a few tests. Eventually I confirmed. Did I know it was?

More importantly, could I be arrested,,,

Tomorrow in day light or even now if you have a torch disconnect the two neutrals which I know they are and also the feed and switch wire. ...

Retarded advice that leaves boards.ie wide open to legal action

If you do that and there is a load swinging out of the other blue wire in the photo, it will "become live" ( enough to wake you up anyway) - it may not be on a RC device

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

I was joking about the earth , it's clearly a neutral. Can't believe this has gone on this long , pretty entertaining .

kramer1 wrote: »
    pretty entertaining .

It used to be more often. Very serious these days.

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »

If you do that and there is a load swinging out of the other blue wire in the photo, it will "become live" ( enough to wake you up anyway) - it may not be on a RC device

Well it's common sense to pull the main switch first I couldn't be arsed changing around the text when i wrote that post.

How would there be two live feeds at the light. What your saying is there would be a live feed when you activate the switch and another feeding the neutral. look your not an electrician obviously just by reading this post I quoted leave it to the pros thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I am now confused... Do I leave the car in neutral or what?

Tuco88 wrote: »
    I am now confused... Do I leave the car in neutral or what?

Only if its blue

How would there be two live feeds at the light. What your saying is there would be a live feed when you activate the switch and another feeding the neutral. look your not an electrician obviously just by reading this post I quoted leave it to the pros thank you.

I guess he means if the neutral is opened, and the circuit is on.

I think you are just trolling at this stage

Also you will never get a shock from a neutral on non RCD lighting circuit. So I do not know where you get this load swinging from....

The lights are on, but there`s nobody home.

Also you will never get a shock from a neutral on non RCD lighting circuit. So I do not know where you get this load swinging from....

What happens when you break the neutral on a live circuit?

Tuco88 wrote: »
    What happens when you break the neutral on a live circuit?

Everything its is connected to will stop working. Also the comment you won't get a shock is true but obviously if there was a short you would for the few mili seconds until the breaker tripped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,013 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tomorrow in day light or even now if you have a torch disconnect the two neutrals which I know they are and also the feed and switch wire. Also turn off the electricity by the main switch easier for someone who doesn't know which circuit is which. Then disconnect the two wires in the ceiling light or what ever light the switch activates and short the live and neutral. Then go back to switch and connect the DMM to the switch wire and neutral and set it to beep and it should beep or show a short if you have it set to ohms.

Without being funny.

I wouldn't have you in my house if your not prepared to test things before diving in .

Rule one

Never assume anything. Especially with live feeds. Never

The first man to make bravado assumptions is the first man injured..

listermint wrote: »
    Without being funny.

I wouldn't have you in my house if your not prepared to test things before diving in .

Rule one

Never assume anything. Especially with live feeds. Never

The first man to make bravado assumptions is the first man injured..

It's kind of funny that you quoted the post where I showed you how to do a basic trace.

Also the comment you won't get a shock is true

You will get a shock, depends on the upstream load swinging out of the neutral

QcI8kjq.png

T6JLcDW.png

Everything its is connected to will stop working. Also the comment you won't get a shock is true but obviously if there was a short you would for the few mili seconds until the breaker tripped.

Well you're in for a shock when you test that theory.

You will get a shock, depends on the upstream load swinging out of the neutral

What happens if the ebay lamp was 1 megohm, what voltage then?

Bruthal wrote: »
    What happens if the ebay lamp was 1 megohm, what voltage then?

230, then drops depending on the resistance of the boards clown completing the circuit

How would you know?

Also you will never get a shock from a neutral on non RCD lighting circuit.

Livestream it so

Connect a 500w lamp to a non RCD supply

Cut the neutral and hold both ends, one in each hand

Since you will get a shock or die from this, try contact boards from beyond the grave

230, then drops depending on the resistance of the boards clown completing the circuit

Well if it was 100k ohm analogue meter and you test the open points, it will read 21 volts.

Test with a 5 megohm digital meter, and it will read 191v.

Which is correct?

Both really.

And that is related to these ghost voltages seen with digital multimeters, they are real voltages, but the capacitive coupling that causes them has so high an impedance, that it is not detectable by touch etc, only by very high impedance meters.

A 2k ohm person in series with 50 megohm cap coupling circuit cap coupled to nearby live circuits (de-energised but near live circuits) , will have almost 0v across them. The meter though, with its multi megohm impedance, can have 20 or 30v or more show on it.

• Advertisement

Livestream it so

Connect a 500w lamp to a non RCD supply

Cut the neutral and hold both ends, one in each hand

Since you will get a shock or die from this, try contact boards from beyond the grave

Ok I will do it tomorrow, I'm a little busy now. Don't you worry i won't let you down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement