Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property tax to hurt small rural homes as Dublin let off hook

Options
  • 04-04-2019 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/property-tax-to-hurt-small-rural-homes-as-dublin-let-off-hook-37982005.html

I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link to the article in the Irish Independent about property tax hikes for small rural homes. I live in a small house in rural Ireland. I didn't move there by choice but I couldn't afford to buy a house in Dublin. I pay a fortune to commute to work in Dublin because there are no jobs locally. Many of my neighbours in small rural homes are old age pensioners. They don't live in a high demand area so can't get lodgers in like OAPs in Dublin can. People in Dublin can offset increases in property tax more easily by taking in lodgers or doing airbnb.

Contrary to popular opinion, many people don't live in rural areas by choice. They live there because they can't afford to live near where they work or for other reasons.

Is anybody else annoyed about this or will I get attacked by a flock of Dublin seagulls for complaining about having to pay even more to live in a part of the country I would rather not live in but can't afford anywhere else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

That article tells us nothing. It says there are five options and none will be applied till after the next general election anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭granturismo

Clickbait title from the Indo. The article includes 'Finance Minister Paschal Donohoe has insisted he is not yet wedded to any figures and instead wants a cross-party consensus on the changes'.

Contact all your TDs and let them represent your concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Since Dublin has been supporting rural Ireland for years I doubt many Dubliner's will be sorry to see the rural areas having to pay for themselves now. The property tax was biased against Dublin from the start, based purely on property value not size etc, so balancing it out is a good start.

Why do poor Dublin people have to subsidise rural people?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The tax should be based on size of house rather than value. This would make the most sense.

Not sure why the Op wants everyone to rent out rooms in their houses?

It is a fairly poorly worded article tbf

Del2005 wrote: »
    Since Dublin has been supporting rural Ireland for years I doubt many Dubliner's will be sorry to see the rural areas having to pay for themselves now. The property tax was biased against Dublin from the start, based purely on property value not size etc, so balancing it out is a good start.

Why do poor Dublin people have to subsidise rural people?

Well most property taxes are basically a form of wealth tax, so it makes sense it would be based on value, not size.

The idea being that you may not have piles of cash but you are wealthy in the form of owning a valuable asset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    The tax should be based on size of house rather than value. This would make the most sense.

Perhaps some sort of matrix calculation taking both value and size into account.
    It’s never going to keep everyone happy.

We all knew increased were inevitable.

We all saw the failings of narrow tax options that fed into previous financial crisis. Spreading tax and charges across a diverse set of sources is financially sound policy.

Water charges were a fiasco but still something to be looked at with a sensible approach.

Corporate actual tax payment is another.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

It is a fairly poorly worded article tbf

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Ush1 wrote: »
    The idea being that you may not have piles of cash but you are wealthy in the form of owning a valuable asset.

I'm all in favour of a property tax but this does not make sense. If you're living in a house and the value goes up you are no more wealthy that you were before the value went up. The only way you can realise any of that wealth is to sell the house.

That said, value based taxation is probably the easiest to implement, there's reasonably hard data available for most houses.

• Administrators Posts: 53,823 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Indo clickbait.

The majority of increases will be in Dublin.

I'm all in favour of a property tax but this does not make sense. If you're living in a house and the value goes up you are no more wealthy that you were before the value went up. The only way you can realise any of that wealth is to sell the house.

Yes, so what part doesn't make sense? You have a valuable asset that is going to be taxed based on it's value, it's a standard wealth tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The option favoured by Mr Donohoe would allow 82pc to avoid any increase. Many of those escaping any tax hike would be outside Dublin, but those hit hardest will also be in rural Ireland. About 2pc with some of the cheapest homes nationwide would see bills rise from €90 to €225.
    €90 property tax?| I'm paying €364 for an 100 square foot terraced house in North County Dublin (and that's only because the valuation hasn't been adjusted since we bought the place almost 3 years ago. It'll be increasing to €526 as soon as that happens).

It seems more a suggestion that measures are required to correct the under-taxation of those in rural areas tbh.

Advertisement