Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRTB

Options
  • 04-04-2019 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

My Landlord is asking me for my pps number to put me on PRTB, is it not his business to be on it, taking into consideration that the house is currently in court with receivership, as the bank that mortgage was taken with withdrawn from Ireland some time ago(not sure if it matters).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

mischascha wrote: »
    My Landlord is asking me for my pps number to put me on PRTB, is it not his business to be on it, taking into consideration that the house is currently in court with receivership, as the bank that mortgage was taken with withdrawn from Ireland some time ago(not sure if it matters).

The landlord requires your PPS number so that your tenancy can be registered with the PRTB.

Anything about him being in court, receivers, his mortgage provider etc. is irrelevant.

There is no reason why you shouldn't provide him with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭mischascha

I'm also the one that collects the rent(cash)and does the other things that normally agencies do(but I don't get paid)).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I'm also the one that collects the rent(cash)and does the other things that normally agencies do(but I don't get paid)).

I mean, you're not exactly giving us much to go by here. Can you give a bit more detail as to what your problem is?

Your original post was asking why should the Landlord need your PPS number. You were told why - it's so he can register you with the PRTB which he is legally required to do.

The fact that (I'm assuming) you are in charge of collecting your housemates' rent and paying it to the landlord is also irrelevant. If you don't want to have this responsibility, you don't have to. Simply tell your landlord/housemates that you are not responsible for collecting their rent, and you will only be looking after your own.

But that's in the absence of giving us any more detail - how many are in the house, who is named on the lease etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭TedsRevengeP

He's actually doing the correct legal thing and when registered it gives you protection and rights also.

But... everyone else renting in the house needs to be on it also, not just you. (since you mention collecting rent from others)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

RTB registration can be done with or without the tenant's PPSN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

when registered it gives you protection and rights also.

Registration doesn't give any value to the tenant. The tenant has the protections of the RTB even for unregistered tenancies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭mischascha

my worst case scenario would look like this: he gets me on PRTB - only as a proof for the court - to show that I live there, as there is no lease contract from few years back, and I know that court insisted on having tenant presence (at least) at the court case about the house - as in case of selling the property or continuing collecting the rent - with landlord or indeed - receiver

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭wally79

my worst case scenario would look like this: he gets me on PRTB - only as a proof for the court - to show that I live there, as there is no lease contract from few years back, and I know that court insisted on having tenant presence (at least) at the court case about the house - as in case of selling the property or continuing collecting the rent - with landlord or indeed - receiver

What is the problem. Why is worst case scenario being registered with RTB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

You really haven't provided any details about your situation here to indicate what it is you're concerned about. You are a tenant in this property, correct? You don't need a lease to have a tenancy; it's helpful (for both parties) to have the agreed-upon terms written down, but Part 4 applies to your tenancy regardless. Having your tenancy registered with the RTB does not affect your tenancy rights in any way; a failure to register make the landlord liable to penalties, but that's all. If the landlord has been lying about or hiding your tenancy from the court, that is his problem.

If this is about the property going into receivership, the receiver will need to know about your tenancy, and you will need to be kept informed about the receivership process and who you need to be paying rent to. I don't know why you'd want to hide the fact of your tenancy in that scenario, but no good would come of it; you'll likely find yourself being given notice for nonpayment if you aren't paying rent to the correct party, or possibly being accidentally evicted if the receiver is entirely unaware of the existence of your tenancy and sends someone out to take possession of and clean out the property (wouldn't stand up in court, of course, so you'd probably get back in eventually, but it'd still be a hassle to deal with, especially if you weren't home at the time and all your belongings end up in a skip heading to a transfer station...).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Is there a particular reason you *don't* want the tenancy registered?
    The information and comments you've made thus far- would lead one to believe that you do not want the tenancy registered.
    Why is this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement