Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Myos Castleknock

Options
  • 04-04-2019 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Just heard new owners have taken over myos in Castleknock. Anyone know anything about it? Can only be a good thing!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Gemma1982 wrote: »
    Just heard new owners have taken over myos in Castleknock. Anyone know anything about it? Can only be a good thing!

New owners or the owners giving someone control?

I had heard the owners wanted someone to come in and run it but the T&C's were not great.

Hopefully it gets going again, really has gone to the dogs and De Bruins just not a nice place to go for a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Couldn't agree more. Myos is wasted. Prime location in the village and could be a great spot for drinking and eating because as said there is no other decent place in the village. De Bruins is awful and myos has no atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Myos in 10 yrs wil probably be apartments

If the black wolf was in the village, it would be fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I'm surprised a historic village like Castleknock doesn't have more traditional style pubs - or more night time choices in general when you consider it's a largely affluent demographic that live there and in the surrounding catchment area. When you compare it to Lucan, Blanchardstown, Chapelizod villages, it's definitely lacking evening time drinking/socializing options other than to eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Myos back in the day was Jammed. Haven't been in it for years. For some reason it has always been a place where it takes ages to get served even when quiet. It's hardly changed in 20yrs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Many's a Dublin suburban pub being run like a prison canteen the last 20 years, owners who aren't experienced in hospitality, staff untrained and huge turnover, crap ambience, tatty lounges. Very few people eejit enough to return to a hostelry where you're made feel someone is doing you a favour to serve you.

Its a pity, given the high income area, it could be an absolute goldmine if treated right

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

beauf wrote: »
    Myos back in the day was Jammed. Haven't been in it for years. For some reason it has always been a place where it takes ages to get served even when quiet. It's hardly changed in 20yrs.

Used to be heaving alright, with the younger crowd emptying around 11 to hit the clubs. I've been in it a few times over the last year or two on a Saturday. Very quiet with most of the taps empty. I liked it back in the day.

I don't understand why it changed so dramatically.

People just skipped the local and went straight into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Prinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

ChannelNo5 wrote:
    De Bruins is awful and myos has no atmosphere.

Steak in the stone is quality and the Guinness is grand..

• Advertisement

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Steak in the stone is quality and the Guinness is grand..

De Bruins is an awful layout and the blind eye that is turned to the goings on is a joke and has and will continue to cost them business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Remind me wrote: »
    De Bruins is an awful layout and the blind eye that is turned to the goings on is a joke and has and will continue to cost them business.

Not too bothered by that..like i said steak/Guinness is good...also beer garden is very good fro matches and the like.

The place is better than most around albeit that not saying much.

Steak on a stone is the biggest scam in the history of dining. You're charged a premium to have to cook the food yourself and you come out stinking as a result. If anything you should be getting a discount on it for saving kitchen time and labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Hurrache wrote: »
    Steak on a stone is the biggest scam in the history of dining. You're charged a premium have to cook the food yourself and you come out stinking as a result. If anything you should be getting a discount on it for saving kitchen time and labour.

I think this as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

what do you mean blind eye?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Many's a Dublin suburban pub being run like a prison canteen the last 20 years, owners who aren't experienced in hospitality, staff untrained and huge turnover, crap ambience, tatty lounges. Very few people eejit enough to return to a hostelry where you're made feel someone is doing you a favour to serve you.

Its a pity, given the high income area, it could be an absolute goldmine if treated right

Agreed about suburban pubs and you do not have to look further than D15. Pub grub offering is very poor in the area. The Paddocks in Little Pace springs to mind. The staff are friendly but the pub is stuck in a 1990s tatty, sticky, patterned carpet timewarp! The menu has over 100 main courses on offer - how can one kitchen offer so much choice and maintain superior quality in every single dish at every hour of the serving day? We went there once at 9pm and as well as the infinite main course options, they had 5 roasts available at that hour - beef, lamb, turkey, corned beef and ham! :eek::eek: Surely something has to give quality wise..and it does - The Clonsilla in is another sprawling dark dated pub. There is only so much one man band singing Snow Patrol or Oasis you can take.

The Greyhound and renamed Vineyard in Blanch and Half Way house in Ashtown all have left me disappointed food wise. One place that is actually decent for food and shows effort in choice, quality, service and presentation is Cu Chulain's in Ongar which is great for me as it's only walking distance.

Any stand out restaurant will have a max of 8 main course dishes usually, all of which will be of a generally high standard as the quality focus is on that select choice of dishes Anything more and the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

That is why I always socialize in the city centre (and absorb taxi or Nitelink as necessary as it's worth it for a better night). There is a decent choice of restaurants outside the pubs in D15 that are good for food however.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Gerlad

Cu Chulainns has gone downhill in recent months. It was brilliant when it first started serving food but the quality of some of the dishes (eg the Pil Pil prawns) has dropped dramatically. The Black Wolf is probably the best of a bad bunch at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Whilst not a fan of the place I actually find the standard of food in the Paddocks as being quite good. I've yet to be disappointed with any of the food we've ordered & my wife who's a vegetarian loves the range options available to her in comparison to most places who offer pasta in a bland tomato sauce as the only veggie option.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Anything changed in Myos then? I've only passed through it in recent years looked like a time had stopped somewhere in the 90s.

what do you mean blind eye?

Spend a few minutes in the toilets....

Best food around is Bradys but atmosphere is woeful.

Mayos is back on the right track, new tenants certainly making a good effort with customers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

Spend a few minutes in the toilets....

Best food around is Bradys but atmosphere is woeful.

Mayos is back on the right track, new tenants certainly making a good effort with customers

every pub in dublin has people doing coke in the jacks, its hardly exclusive to that pub

every pub in dublin has people doing coke in the jacks, its hardly exclusive to that pub

Never said it’s exclusive to that pub but it’s not for me and it being so openly done and nothing being done about it is certainly not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

One positive thing about Myos recently is they got rid of the car parking charges, what a joke. If you went into Myos during the day for lunch you had to fill one of those car parking meters, I think it was to put off lidl customers using Myos car park, however this never materialised and they got rid of the parking machine although several people did get clamped in the time it was there. However there is still a parking machine in operation over the road in De Bruins car park. I don't suppose you can blame the people running De Bruins on this as this would be down to whomever owns the carpark but it would not entice me to frequent the place, lets face it both pubs are not up to much. We now take a cab over to Kavs(the Gravediggers) over in Prospect Sq, Glasnevin, great pub, great pint but man it can get busy. Our other spot is the Strawberry Hall down in the Strawberry Beds, well worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I never knew about the parking charge and clamping. That's one way to loose friends alright.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Was in Myo's for the match on Sat night, was meh to be honest. Same old same old.

All the cantenkerous old castleknock gits demanding table service even though they are no more that 6 ft from the bar.

TV's are sh1te and need to be replaced.

In fairness you're always offered table service there, barman will offer to drop your drink over or one of the floors staff will catch you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

They have to do something with that front bar.

Was sat there a few weeks ago in the corner beside the door and it was infested with moths. I swatted about 8 of them while I was there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

NufcNavan wrote: »
    They have to do something with that front bar.

Was sat there a few weeks ago in the corner beside the door and it was infested with moths. I swatted about 8 of them while I was there!

Some people go to the pub, specifically, to meet moths.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Sounds like Myos hasn’t changed one iota since I lived in Castleknock 20 years ago.

Suburban bars are generally soulless drinking dens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I think the Black Wolf in Blanch is an example of how to turn a staid old suburban pub into something more interesting. Might not be to everyone's tastes, but it sure is differentiated from the Vineyard vs Bell vs Roselawn etc.

Advertisement