Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is why you need to be careful with PCI brackets

Options
  • 04-04-2019 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

I managed to brick my system trying yesterday by trying to reinsert a PCI bracket, was being a little too careless and I left a nasty nic through a few traces.

Got it at the end of 2017 fairly cheap on ebay and performed really well with my 1070, to make it worse it's my birthday today and it only happened yesterday so to say it's unfortunate would be a massive understatement.
    On the upside atleast the wife can't disagree with me getting an upgrade =P.

If any of you guys have a similar story to tell me I'd love to here it, knowing I'm not the only one could help cheer me up.

RIP Thinkstation you served me well.

3pw9emw2gaq21.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Hasn't happened to me yet but it's only a matter of time. I managed to brick a work printer once by trying to flash the control card and deleting the firmware instead. The cost of getting it fixed then put it beyond use. (The firmware was nowhere to be found for free!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Nasty scar.

Is this a scratch or you got spark?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

Nasty scar.

Is this a scratch or you got spark?

It's a deep scratch that is causing it short when I try powering it in, I did consider bridging the 2 traces but I don't have a steady enough hand for such tiny traces

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I did consider bridging the 2 traces but I don't have a steady enough hand for such tiny traces

Maybe a friend does? That said, if its a deep scratch there's always the possibility that internal traces were crushed and either split or bridged as well :(

I've had some near misses with those goddamn PCI bracket tails working on PCs over the years, but so far the only time I managed to brick something was at the final stage of my college project. Working flawlessly, had to adjust the mounting holes on the case to get it to hold the LCD right, punched through the hole half a mm off with the drill and nicked the rim of the hole of the LCD's PCB. Shorted internal traces and bricked the module. No replacement available in time for deadline (and those things were expensive back then) :(

Advertisement