Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade motorcycle trailer

Options
  • 04-04-2019 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi I've two questions I cant figure out and neither can my work buddy's

I'm thinking of making a motorcycle trailer to transport my dirt bike. Is it legal to make you're own trailer cos I see loads of really bad homemade ones around! So I'm guessing I can? I'll be fitting all new parts, break away cable, suspension and lights to it.

I find all the trailer laws so confusing, with sometimes needing a BE licence to pull some trailers so could I also get some advice on this please. I also have a brand new double axle braked trailer which is a I for Williams that's rated 2.5 tonne (I only ever put 1-1.5 tonne in the trailer). I've a VW transporter (1.8 tonne) so can I pull this trailer with my B licence? Or do I need to apply for the BE licence?

Thanks Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Before the roundabout of argument over the interpretation of what the RSA says...

In my opinion, you should get the BE. With the transporter unlikely to be fully empty, and a load on the trailer you will find you can easily go over your 3500kg limit on your B. Safer to have it, then your mind is at rest. It's not difficult or expensive.

As for making your own bike carrier, you can't make a trailer for sale without type approval. But for yourself, I can't see an issue. The law applies from 2012. Who's to say when you built your trailer. Once it is well built, with lights and a proper coupling and good tyres you'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭seantobin43

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Before the roundabout of argument over the interpretation of what the RSA says...

In my opinion, you should get the BE. With the transporter unlikely to be fully empty, and a load on the trailer you will find you can easily go over your 3500kg limit on your B. Safer to have it, then your mind is at rest. It's not difficult or expensive.

As for making your own bike carrier, you can't make a trailer for sale without type approval. But for yourself, I can't see an issue. The law applies from 2012. Who's to say when you built your trailer. Once it is well built, with lights and a proper coupling and good tyres you'll be ok.

Perfect exactly the answer I need! You're right I forgot to factor in the weight of the tools and supplies inside the van. I must apply for the licence so

Is it basically just like redoing the full test for B licence with just a trailer being towed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Essentially yes, no 3 point turn, but the same idea. Two hands on the wheel!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

O think you can make your own trailer and then get it inspected but not sure how much hassle that would be.
    You b license doesn't enable you to drive that van & trailer combo even if they're both empty so if you want to stick with that trailer BE

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

I built and used a bike trailer for years without issue. It was well lit and stable... Ish if you kept the speed in check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Motors -> Motorcycles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

leaving the legalities aside. i dont think you would build one cheaper than buying one second hand.
    you will spend a good few hundred on the axle, wheels, tyres, lights, hitch etc.

there are a few decent ones on done deal . probably cheaper to buy a good one

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Is it legal to make you're own trailer cos I see loads of really bad homemade ones around!

I find all the trailer laws so confusing, with sometimes needing a BE licence to pull some trailers so could I also get some advice on this please. I also have a brand new double axle braked trailer which is a I for Williams that's rated 2.5 tonne (I only ever put 1-1.5 tonne in the trailer). I've a VW transporter (1.8 tonne) so can I pull this trailer with my B licence? Or do I need to apply for the BE licence?

Thanks Sean

Firstly, you can build your own trailer but to do it legally, you will have to get it tested, type approved and plated. It's easier and cheaper to buy one.

Secondly, and this is where the trailer plating comes in, it's actually what the trailer is rated/plated to carry that matters, not what you actually have in it. In the case of your van (1.8 tonne) and trailer (2.5 tonne), this puts you into the BE licence category, regardless of whether the trailer is full to the gills or empty.

Most bike trailers are 750kg rated so no trouble with the B licence if towing one of these. Have a look at the Erde bike trailers form Indespension which start at around €6/700 new.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭seantobin43

To make one I've it all priced up, i can buy a full kit with everything I need and all I've to do is make up my own frame. €300-350 is what it'll cost me. Any bike trailers I price were €1000 plus

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi I've two questions I cant figure out and neither can my work buddy's

I'm thinking of making a motorcycle trailer to transport my dirt bike. Is it legal to make you're own trailer cos I see loads of really bad homemade ones around! So I'm guessing I can? I'll be fitting all new parts, break away cable, suspension and lights to it.

Thanks Sean

The box trailer is too heavy to tow with a B licence as it exceeds 3.5t train weigh , the van starts at 2.6t MAM (the new name for DGVW) , that's before you consider the actual tow limit of the van which is from 1800kg to 2500kg depending on the spec. There should be a panel somewhere giving the tow limit for the van, but unless you have the top of the range you are unlikely to be in a 2.5t tow limit van.

Essentially with a B licence you can tow a trailer with a MAM of <750kg with zero issues. If the trailers MAM is >750kg you can still tow it provided that the MAM of the trailer is less than the MAM of the tow vehicle and the combinations MAM is <3500kg. Even if the trailer and tow vehicle is empty if their MAM exceeds 3500kg your not licenced.

The BE will let you get a train of 7000kg, your tow vehicle has to be <3500kg MAM and rated to tow the trailer.

The RSA are clamping down on trailers so make sure that you have the correct licence and tow vehicle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement