Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice of Termination

Options
  • 04-04-2019 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

I think I know the answer to this one but if some one could confirm I would really appreciate it. I really don't want to get a letter wrong in a notice of termination, so sorry if it's a stupid kind of question

Re the notice periods.

Tenancy commenced say 1st May 2016. I want to give notice before the 1st May, it is the 56 days for less than 3 years, yes?

Does the fact that the 56 days brings the termination date past the 3 years have any bearing?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

56 days yes bringing it over 3 years has no bearing. But reason why you are terminating has a bearing - selling? Moving back in? Make sure you use the rtb template to match and obey the requirements of each situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The date the tenancy commenced is the date for calculation of the notice period.

Add on a week or two to the notice period just to be sure, saves any hassle about the exact date of termination. It doesn't invalidate the notice, and can be easy to get that wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

The date the tenancy commenced is the date for calculation of the notice period.
    !

Thanks for that, the worry of getting it wrong clouds the mind. Never had to serve an N.O.T. around the anniversary of a tenancy before.

Yes I was going to throw a few days on to be sure.

Thanks again.

If any one has any other advice, I'll be glad to listen. It's been a few years since I last had to do it, and legislation surely has changed since.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thanks for that, the worry of getting it wrong clouds the mind. Never had to serve an N.O.T. around the anniversary of a tenancy before.

Yes I was going to throw a few days on to be sure.

Thanks again.

If any one has any other advice, I'll be glad to listen. It's been a few years since I last had to do it, and legislation surely has changed since.

As other posters have said, the REASON for termination is important.

Are you selling, allowing a relative to live there, or refurbishing.

A statutory declaration is required if selling, not sure if that is required for relative or reburb. But if you ARE selling a statutory declaration is imperative.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

I'm reading something this morning from a WP councillor in a local paper re new regulations from yesterday?

I don't put much faith in either the WP or the paper, but it appears to be saying a copy of the NOT and Stat Declaration is also to be sent to the RTB. Is this true?

BTW the reason for NOT is sale of house.

EDIT: It's OK got what I need off the other thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement