Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haggling With New Bikes?

Options
  • 05-04-2019 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭

Curious to know if haggling is common in bike shops? Thinking about getting an MTB on the bike to work scheme later in the year and wondering if I could knock a few quid off. Price range would be between €1,500-2,000.

Never would have thought to haggle on a bike but someone I know got a nice discount on a bike that was close to the €2k mark. Anyone have experience haggling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Curious to know if haggling is common in bike shops? Thinking about getting an MTB on the bike to work scheme later in the year and wondering if I could knock a few quid off. Price range would be between €1,500-2,000.

Never would have thought to haggle on a bike but someone I know got a nice discount on a bike that was close to the €2k mark. Anyone have experience haggling?

What do you haggle on?
    Do you haggle with your dentist 'coz I had a bike mechanic ask me when I was querying him about something about a cassette, "You don't ask your dentist why you need a root canal do you?" Ha ha he he

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

Seriously though , they want to make a sale, the margin being higher the dearer the bike, the quicker a bike moves the better.
    Just say 'what can you do for me?" Or "Would you be happy with x amount" That sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Worst they can say is no way. Have a friend who haggles over the price of anything (expensive stuff and cheap stuff), I would be too shy for that kind of thing (in Ireland at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

If you are buying via a bike to work voucher scheme, that will cost the retailer €100, if not logically that should be the amount you can look for as a minimum discount

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

A friend of wifes sister,her cousin owns a shop he goes crazy when people haggle with him over price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

lalababa wrote: »
    What do you haggle on?
    Do you haggle with your dentist 'coz I had a bike mechanic ask me when I was querying him about something about a cassette, "You don't ask your dentist why you need a root canal do you?" Ha ha he he

I've two kids who need braces this year. Works out roughly the same as two new road bikes spread out over a couple of years. Damn straight I'm haggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Ask for a quote. Try a few different bike shops. Choose the cheapest.

Many businesses still give cash discounts. Not sure about bike shops but you're out of luck with bike to work vouchers. So you've less room to haggle.

As for haggling with dentists.. yes, some dentists will give a discount if you're getting root canal/crowns on several teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Many brands won’t allow shops to drop below the mrsp, however what they can do is through in freebies.
    I just got a 2019 cube and got a helmet, pump, saddle bag, cage, pedals and cleats thrown in.

ted1 wrote: »
    Many brands won’t allow shops to drop below the mrsp,

Price fixing? I thought that was illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭kirving

Aegir wrote: »

I don't think it's like a price fixing cartel as such, but more akin to Coca Cola not wanting retailers selling individual cans out of multipack. On the legalities of it, I'm not sure.

Chain Reaction could afford to sell off a load of whatever brand at way below cost if they felt like it, and in the long term do the brand reputational damage by making it look cheap, while also hurting small businesses.

You'll see the same with Apple products, under no circumstances will they be discounted, but you might get a free cover if you push for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Aegir wrote: »

Possibly a case of selling below MSRP leading to lack of supply from that brand in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭homer911

daragh_ wrote: »
    I've two kids who need braces this year. Works out roughly the same as two new road bikes spread out over a couple of years. Damn straight I'm haggling.
    Are you going to haggle over the cost of the braces?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Your best bet for a decent reduction on a bike is last years model.

In small bike shops it's very easy to pick apart their pricing on components when compared to online stores but most will say that's a great price buy it on line as they simply can't match the price.

As others have said if you're using a voucher scheme your haggling is more or less hobbled from the offset.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Bought a Lapierre a few weeks ago on the bike to work scheme for 2k asked the sales guy what could he do regards the price and he offered 140euro off or a load of accessories free took the 140 euro off so its worth asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Go to 3 or 4 different shops and get prices for similar spec bikes. Check online also as Wiggle, CRC etc etc all accept BTW so armed with various prices approach your local shop and ask for a price and tell them you can get XXX bike with xxx spec from XXX for whatever and what can they do for you in regard to what ever bike your interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

You know what they say, a dumb priest never got a parish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Miklos wrote: »

Who said that? Never heard it before...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Check online also as Wiggle, CRC etc etc all accept BTW

Not necessarily, there's a few different schemes and the couple I've used in the past were only for bricks and mortar stores in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Doc07

Miklos wrote: »

Love that one, far more polite than
    ‘Quite man never got the ri&e’

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Bought a new Lapierre Xelius a couple of years ago from CSS. It was listed at 2099 but one 'best price' question to the salesman, akin to the one mentioned earlier, resulted in a 1950 offer.

So definitely ask.

• Advertisement
Advertisement