Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offered a too-good to be true role, thinking it could be a scam!

Options
  • 05-04-2019 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm unsure if this is the right forum for this so apologies in advance.

Looking for some help and a few pointers for a position I was just offered. Bit of context, I work in the video production industry and have worked freelance for 4 years now since 18 so this is my first role as an employee.

I started the job-hunting in January fully prepared to get less money in return for some stability (currently I can have no work for weeks and then a few weeks of 70+ hours of work). I got offered full-time positions at a couple of places but both were under €30K so I declined.

Then Wednesday I interviewed at a place and got a call back the next day offering me the job. All great, the role seems easy compared to what I'm used to, appeared to be a mid-sized startup and a laidback enviroment and they're based not far out of Dublin. Here's where the problems start.

The role & compensation are honestly too good to be true, so much so everyone I've told about it says it has to be a scam, and I agree but I don't know how. I was offered €42k salary (which is 20-25% above market for this role) and told I should expect to recieve €100 - €150k per year from their "profit sharing" bonus pool. Yes.. nearly 4x the salary as a bonus..

The way they explained it at the interview was that 30% of company profits are added to a pool every 3 months and 20% of that is split between all employees, 5% between senior management and 5% to charities. The annual numbers they gave me were based on their last payout or something. But honestly this makes zero sense to me, I've never heard of a company doing that before..

Sorry for the long post, here are my questions:

- Has anyone heard of a company doing this before? What is the catch here, is it some sort of scam or tax dodging attempt?

- What are the legalities around this sort of structure? Would I pay normal tax on any income from the bonus scheme?

- They told me this bonus only kicks in after a 3 month probation period. Is there anything I should look out for there? It was suggested to me that they could try and let me go before the 3 months is up..

Thanks!!

Advertisement