Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not paid for the summer - please explain

Options
  • 05-04-2019 7:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

I am starting teacher training college in September 19. I am aware that I probably won’t be paid for a number of summers after I qualify. Can someone tell me, what will I earn if I am not paid for summers?

For example, if I was to start teaching now, point one on the scale is €36,318. So is it 10/12 of this?

On the substitute pay page on the into website it says I will earn the casual sub rate for the first 40 days and then the non casual sub rate for the remaining 143 days. Doing the math I am getting a gross salary of €35,909 gross pay that I will be paid according to these figures. So I would be paid this amount over 10 months? And only missing out on a few hundred euros?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

If you don’t have a permanent job or a PRTT job then you get paid the hourly rate, like say when you would be subbing. But This means that your holiday pay is included in your hourly rate. So if you had a full timetable in a school year you would get all your holiday pay, but you get it during the months that you worked so you be expected to manage that accordingly. A full time teacher in second level gets paid for roughly 9 months work but that money is paid to them over 12 months. So we don’t get paid for our holidays, we get paid during them.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

I feel like I’m missing something. Why does it matter so much to teachers to have a contract that pays them for the summer, if as per my above example, there is very little difference in total pay. Is the only reason down to having to budget so that you don’t spend all your money during the academic year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

It matters because most people want job security. Casual subbing means you're waiting for the phone to ring each day to see if you've work that day. If you're covering maternity leaves or get a temporary job then you only have a job for a specified time, at the most perhaps a school year. Then it's back to the drawing board to find some work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Don't presume you will get full hours subbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

Thanks Bells, totally get that about job security. I have been told as nauseum that I won’t get a continuous job/CID etc for many years, so I’m trying to understand what that means money wise. I always assumed that teachers who didn’t get paid for the summer got paid 10/12 of their salary. Great to find that’s not the case.
    Thanks Spurious, I have been well warned about how challenging the job market is for teachers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement