Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reverse steering bike

Options
  • 05-04-2019 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi All,

Does anyone know where I could buy a reverse steering bike ( link below ) in Ireland? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFzDaBzBlL0

I have a conference coming up and I want to have one for a piece of the conference. I have googled these but cannot seem to find one for sale. Has anyone seen one of these for sale?

thanks in advance

Brian

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't think anyone actually makes them, i can't see much of a market for a bike which cannot be ridden unless you're really dedicated!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 drummerlad

you are probably right! Might have to make one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

The video shows a closeup of the cog mechanism that has been welded onto the front of the headtube. I suppose that if you do build it yourself, and something comes apart unexpectedly, it won't be like you *aren't* expecting to fall off all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A lot of the small independent bike shops love this kind of messing and might enjoy a project like this.

Little Bikes is a mate of mine and always seems to be building something. He used to be one of the guys you'd see flying around town on a self-built tall bike. This kind of bike is just his thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I know someone who had one made up, got a welder to do it for him. Stop the video at 0:49 and you'll see how it's made. Easy enough job for a good welder/fabricator.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 drummerlad

Thanks all,

Seamus, I am going to call your mate and see if he is interested.

Snaga, I can just about hang a shelf! Not sure I have the skill set to build this myself but thank you!

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 25 a_shed

Saw a few guys doing this at the All Ireland Fleadh in Cavan a few years ago.

They charged 5 euro and offered 100 to anyone who could cycle 30-40 feet. They drew huge crowds. Of course no one could do it.

The closest I saw was a guy who had had a few scoops and could barely walk in a straight line. He managed about 10 feet before falling off. Hilarious !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Had a look at that clip in OP, found it fascinating that the lad couldn't ride a bike the regular way after "rewiring" his brain for the reverse steering. Also very interesting how quick kids adapt to it.

The only thing I can can compare it too is when I tried to cut my own hair using 2 mirrors to do the back of my head. Left was right and right was left. My brain could not compute. Ended up closing my eyes to do it, not a good result as you can imagine ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

i don't think anyone actually makes them, i can't see much of a market for a bike which cannot be ridden unless you're really dedicated!

Be worth it though just to leave it unlocked outside a coffee shop for the entertainment value of any scobie that tries to nick it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ready4Boarding

a_shed wrote: »

They charged 5 euro and offered 100 to anyone who could cycle 30-40 feet. They drew huge crowds. Of course no one could do it.

The closest I saw was a guy who had had a few scoops and could barely walk in a straight line. He managed about 10 feet before falling off. Hilarious !!!

English guy in Temple Bar does the same for anyone who can cycle about five metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭plodder

a_shed wrote: »

Was thinking it would be a good fairground trick all right..

I wonder how it compares in difficulty with learning a unicycle.

BTW there's a link on the video to someone in the US who makes them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Saw, or heard, a TED talk on this a while ago and it was really interesting. The comparison between the time taked to unlearn and then relearn normal cycling was good but the frightening bit was how much better the kid was than his dad.

I suppose it shouldn't come as a surprise and it probably explains why a lot of us keep posting the same views on Boards and elsewhere without ever really taking other views into account ��

Can't be of help but fascinating watch on the youtube video.

Advertisement