Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chickenpox immunity

Options
  • 05-04-2019 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭

Possibly the wrong thread but got an email from my son's school to say there's a chicken pox outbreak, am not concerned as my son had them a few years ago when I was pregnant with my second child.

I think I remember my consultant saying that as I was exposed during pregnancy (and immune myself) that I would pass on that immunity to the baby.... but I cant seem to find anything online to back it up.

Anyone know if this is true? Not looking for medical advice or anything, just curious if it's something I'll need to keep an eye out for with my youngest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

You pass on some immunity but only for the first year of their life. However it’s not fool proof, my second picked up chicken pox from her older sister when she was 5 months old. GP said it was less common for under one to pick it up but not unheard of.

There is a vaccine but they can only get it at 12 months plus. I’ll be getting it for this baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I don’t think your child will have immunity because you were exposed when pregnant. I think when you’ve had chicken pox, and are exposed to it, it boosts your immunity to shingles.
    My three kids have recently had the pox, and I am pregnant, so I did a LOT of reading about it, I didn’t read any where that the unborn would be immune through me, unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I don't think it gives immunity to the unborn child as the amount they're exposed to wouldn't be enough. Also just to say that your son having had them doesn't necessarily mean that he has immunity either. I thought I did because I'd had them as a child but it turns out that if you only had a mild dose, it doesn't always give you the immunity. My bloods were done and I had no immunity to it. Had to get the vaccine. Might just be worth having a word with the GP if there is an outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Also just to say that your son having had them doesn't necessarily mean that he has immunity either. I thought I did because I'd had them as a child but it turns out that if you only had a mild dose, it doesn't always give you the immunity.

That's really interesting, my son had a very very mild dose so maybe he isn't immune....I definitely am though.

Might get them both vaccinated so...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

It’s called passive immunity, this is what my doctor was explaining. Decreases as the weeks and months the go on but it does exist.

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/childrens-health/how-long-do-babies-carry-their-mothers-immunity/

• Advertisement

xalot wrote: »
    That's really interesting, my son had a very very mild dose so maybe he isn't immune....I definitely am though.

Might get them both vaccinated so...

Just as a warning, having gotten the vaccine myself, it's quite a sore one comparatively to other injections I've gotten and it's 2 doses spaced 3-6 months apart (I think that's the timeframe). A simple blood test first will tell you if there's immunity there and therefore if you need to pay for the vaccine or you're ok to leave it. I did that first and was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I had chicken pox at a few weeks old then caught it again as a toddler. When I was pregnant, I was tested and was immune. I just got my 16 month old vaccinated with his first jab and he is due the second/ final one in 2 months. I am pregnant and just don't fancy the idea of him catching the chicken pox, having to manage that and the idea of him giving it to the new baby. Money well spent!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

As others have said having had chicken pox doesn’t mean you will be immune to it. My 5 year old isn’t (and she had an awful dose). I was immune on both my last 2 pregnancies and am now not so will probably need to be vaccinated when this baba gets here, along with a repeat MMR as I also have lost my rubella immunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Just as a warning, having gotten the vaccine myself, it's quite a sore one comparatively to other injections I've gotten and it's 2 doses spaced 3-6 months apart (I think that's the timeframe). A simple blood test first will tell you if there's immunity there and therefore if you need to pay for the vaccine or you're ok to leave it. I did that first and was worth it.

Can I get that blood test for my four year old in the GP? He's been exposed multiple times now including the two other children in his childminders, twice in one preschool and twice in creche this year and not gotten it we think. He did have one spot at the first exposure but I assumed it was a hive. Maybe it wasn't?

We're in a creche setting now and obviously he would have to be excluded unlike the childminder so I had planned on him getting it before I go back to school in September and his brother in November after he turns one

Can I get that blood test for my four year old in the GP? He's been exposed multiple times now including the two other children in his childminders, twice in one preschool and twice in creche this year and not gotten it we think. He did have one spot at the first exposure but I assumed it was a hive. Maybe it wasn't?

We're in a creche setting now and obviously he would have to be excluded unlike the childminder so I had planned on him getting it before I go back to school in September and his brother in November after he turns one

I'd imagine so. My GP did mine for me no problem but I've no experience of kids and blood test in the GP's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I just had a conversation with my GP regarding getting a blood test done on my 2 year old. She said generally it depends on the child's age and what their veins are like as to whether they will do it in the surgery or not. She checked my daughter's arms and couldn't see any veins clearly so she's sent off a referral for the pediatric unit. They don't want to traumatise the child by poking and prodding trying to find a vein because next them when they need to go to the GP they may not want to go. From what my GP was saying it sounds like 4yrs would be old enough, so I guess it would depend on how distinguishable the veins are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

scarepanda wrote: »
    I just had a conversation with my GP regarding getting a blood test done on my 2 year old. She said generally it depends on the child's age and what their veins are like as to whether they will do it in the surgery or not. She checked my daughter's arms and couldn't see any veins clearly so she's sent off a referral for the pediatric unit. They don't want to traumatise the child by poking and prodding trying to find a vein because next them when they need to go to the GP they may not want to go. From what my GP was saying it sounds like 4yrs would be old enough, so I guess it would depend on how distinguishable the veins are.

He’s thin as a rake after multiple illnesses this winter so will defo wait for summer. Although bloods may not be any harm, he’s fairly frail tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

My older boy has been exposed and never caught them. Anyway I got the vaccine for both boys. They are due to get tge second shot during Easter holidays. They recommended 6/8 weeks apart.
    Money well spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Millem wrote: »
    My older boy has been exposed and never caught them. Anyway I got the vaccine for both boys. They are due to get tge second shot during Easter holidays. They recommended 6/8 weeks apart.
    Money well spent.

How much is the vaccine?

How much is the vaccine?

€65 at the gp South Dublin. We get €50 back from health insurance.

How much is the vaccine?

My son's was €140 for the two but some places charge over €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

We got it for both of our children - it worked out at about 150euro each.

The way I looked at it was if they got Chicken Pox, they'd miss a week of creche which we would still have to pay for so either way, I'd be out the money. Plus everyone that I spoke to whose children did get Chicken Pox said they'd have gotten the vaccine if they had known it was available.

CheerLouth wrote: »
    We got it for both of our children - it worked out at about 150euro each.

The way I looked at it was if they got Chicken Pox, they'd miss a week of creche which we would still have to pay for so either way, I'd be out the money. Plus everyone that I spoke to whose children did get Chicken Pox said they'd have gotten the vaccine if they had known it was available.

I actually wouldn’t have gotten the vaccine for mine, but it’s obviously a personal preference, and we didn’t have any awful complications to the pox in our house, which some people do, so it’s easy for me to say! I’d be so afraid of them getting it as adults,- obviously if the adult is somewhat health conscious and gets their immunity texted throughout adulthood, and re-vaccinated, then they’ll be grand. But if mine are anything like their dad, that would never happen!

jlm29 wrote: »
    I actually wouldn’t have gotten the vaccine for mine, but it’s obviously a personal preference, and we didn’t have any awful complications to the pox in our house, which some people do, so it’s easy for me to say! I’d be so afraid of them getting it as adults,- obviously if the adult is somewhat health conscious and gets their immunity texted throughout adulthood, and re-vaccinated, then they’ll be grand. But if mine are anything like their dad, that would never happen!

Could your kids not lose their immunity though anyway as adults?

Millem wrote: »
    Could your kids not lose their immunity though anyway as adults?

From what I read, it’s less likely, but there seems to be no hard and fast rules when it comes to chicken pox!!
    Everywhere I looked said that the vaccine wouldn’t last for life, while chicken pox immunity very often does.

• Advertisement

jlm29 wrote: »
    Everywhere I looked said that the vaccine wouldn’t last for life, while chicken pox immunity very often does.

I recently just got my son vaccinated and the GP said that the reason thet can't gaurantee its lifelong efficacy is because it has only been around 10-15 years. I just can't imagine watching my little fella go through the hassle of it all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

We got it for our son. One less thing (hopefully) to have to worry about.

One question: does getting the chickenpox vaccine as a child mean you can't get shingles?

I got shingles when I was pregnant - very painful and unpleasant. But it's basically the reactivation of the chicken pox virus I got as a toddler. So if you never get chicken pox as a child, that means it can't reactivate in the form of shingles...right?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

As far as I know you only pass on immunity for the first few months. My daughter has been closely exposed 3 times and never gotten it. My son was in another hall... Entirely different room to a child that was contagious and got it at about 3 months old (mild enough for his age and thanks to my immunity). However he went on to get shingles at age of 2. Again my daughter did not get that. They are now both fully vaccinated against chickenpox as I wasn't taking anymore chances. I very much doubt he gained immunity from the mild dose he got at 3 months old and as you can see he gets everything going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

There might be something to this. When my wife was pregnant with our third. Our other two had chicken pox. Now she is six and been around loads and never contracted them every girl that was sitting at her desk in school had them.

Macha wrote: »

One question: does getting the chickenpox vaccine as a child mean you can't get shingles?

I got shingles when I was pregnant - very painful and unpleasant. But it's basically the reactivation of the chicken pox virus I got as a toddler. So if you never get chicken pox as a child, that means it can't reactivate in the form of shingles...right?

If you never get chicken pox, you can’t get shingles. That’s right.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

Macha wrote:

No. My son had the chicken pox vaccine at around 18 months old. At around 2.5 he got shingles. There is another vaccine to prevent shingles. But generally not given to children.

Macha wrote: »

No it doesn't mean you can't get shingles. The vaccine works the same way as having the chickenpox is my understanding. So you can get shingles but it's possibly going to be a bit of a milder version. The only thing is that shingles isn't passable between individuals unless there's touching of the open blister so chances of getting it from someone are quite slim. I was warned I could still get shingles having gotten the chicken pox vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I recently just got my son vaccinated and the GP said that the reason thet can't gaurantee its lifelong efficacy is because it has only been around 10-15 years. I just can't imagine watching my little fella go through the hassle of it all.

My GP told us that we will need to get the children tested when they reach about 16 to confirm that they are still immune. They may require a booster if not. I'm happy enough with that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Not quite the same but our eldest got chicken pox at 2 and a half and our youngest was 6 weeks old. The gp said the youngest wouldn't get them because he had immunity from me but he defied medical science and got them. The public health nurse nearly didnt believe me when she saw the scars!

• Advertisement
Advertisement