Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ending Tenancy

Options
  • 05-04-2019 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hello
    I have been renting an apartments for 4.5 years and recently purchased a House that will be ready to move into in June . I informed my landlord that i wanted to leave in June in middle of March .

The Apartment is leased to 3 people at moment and we will all be leaving in June. Other 2 Tenant have been here for 2 years and 1 year. Landlord said in March that it was okay as we gave enough notice but in last few days the relationship has turned weird.

I received a text to remind me that our lease was signed up to August this year when i tried to confirm end date and that landlord would have to let us out 2 months early. I then sent formal letter requesting end date in June but was informed by landlord that they would need to discuss with their solicitor. It feels to me like they are going to try and screw us over to keep paying rent after leaving or lose deposit. I obviously cannot afford to pay for a house and pay rent in a apartment that im giving landlord 2-3 month notice on that im leaving. Any advice ?
    Pat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You are not getting screwed if both you and landlord are abiding by the legal terms of your tenancy agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

How do you know you'll be ready to move in June? House purchases get delayed all the time.

And, as pointed out expecting you to uphold your contract isn't screwing you over.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Pat201

House is a new build that can be ready before end of May so I've given myself until middle of June to move. I am trying to avoid a situation where I have a mortgage to pay and rent for a place that will be empty until end of August. Place is in Dublin so would not be difficult for landlord to get new people in timeframe I've given. I cannot understand the benefit to holding me to lease that I may not be able to pay.

I mentioned to landlord that I would have to sublet if my tenancy could not be ended but I have questions about that. What would happen if people who replaced me stopped paying rent or destroyed the house. Would I be liable ?
    Pat

You can assign lease, but you still have to give 84 days notice. If LL refuses assignment then you can walk, but with required notice. The property is inspected when your tenancy ends either way at the end of your tenancy/notice period and you are only liable for any damage at that time.

You have to consider it from both sides, tenancy law protects you from the LL from end the tenancy earlier as well. Renting is such a minefield now, you can’t blame him for getting advice to ensure he is doing everything right even though you want out early.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Dav010 wrote: »
    Renting is such a minefield now, you can’t blame him for getting advice to ensure he is doing everything right even though you want out early.

This is it in a nutshell.
    The legislative and regulatory regime in which landlords operate is convoluted beyond comprehension- the only sane thing for the landlord to do- is get proper advice and follow it. This is the path he is taking.

I totally understand the tenancy laws are there to protect landlord and tenant but in this case i just cannot understand why landlord is being difficult. I am giving required notice to terminate lease and flat is in Dublin so it would not be difficult to find new tenants with amount of time im giving notice. I will be moving to my own house that i would require to pay a mortgage on so they hardly expect i can afford both. Surely they are running risk that i do not pay as its impossible to afford.

I would require to finish my lease only 2 months early and this is after being a tenant for 4.5 years. All tenants would leave flat so landlord gets place back clean and can pick next people they get in or do what ever they would like to place.

On a Side note previous flatmate gave 1 months notice that they were moving to states after being a tenant for 2 years, he got a person in to cover his room and they continued paying rent on his room. Landlord kept his deposit as he did not give appropriate notice. Previous housemate did not fight it as he was moving to states and would have been difficult to follow up. Landlord basically pocketed 500 euro extra that month as they did not miss a euro of rent.

This is why i feel that the landlord is trying to pull a fast one

If previous tenant did not give required notice then that is their problem. Tenants and Landlords have to abide by tanacy law, as you do. If you leave before the legal requirements, you take the hit, same way the landlord does if he ends the tenancy before the law dictates

Incidentally, you are not giving required notice, your fixed term tenancy runs to August so you have a bit to go.

How do you mean i am not giving required notice?
    Below is taken from onestop shop RTB. I informed landlord mid march that i would be leaving so that means notice period until Mid June.

Duration of a tenancy Tenants notice periods
    Less than 6 months 28 days
    6+ months, but less than 1 year 35 days
    1+ year, but less than 2 years 42 days
    2+ years but less than 4 years 56 days
    4+ years but less than 8 years 84 days

You are right about previous tenant and it being none of my business but it shows what is a priority with this landlord. They did not lose a cent and gained 500 euro that month. Im just trying to work out what there end game is in my situation as surely in this situation its easier to end tenancy aftert 84 days rather than start a RTB case or ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

No you aren't covered there as youve signed a lease for a fixed term period. You owe rent until the fixed date unless it specifies otherwise in your lease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Once you sent the formal letter to the landlord with the end date and it's more than the 84 days listed above then you have done everything right. You've yet to receive any formal response from the landlord so take it that you'll be leaving at said date and will require your deposit back (once inspection of property is complete). If you do not receive the deposit back, open a case with the RTB.

You are doing everything right in my opinion. Maybe the landlord is more rattled seeing that all 3 of ye are leaving at the same time. When did you sign the lease?

Does my Part 4 tenancy switch over to new person if i assign lease? I will tell landlord that i will need to assign the lease over as i cant afford 2 places from June on. If they do not allow then i will walk.

Seems a crazy system as i could assign lease to people that would be very difficult for landlord where as if they did their own search they get the people they want in their home

Hey Treviso
    Ya its a weird situation as when i told landlord in mid march they said that was okay as i had given enough notice for us all in house. I even offered to get people for her (professional people from my company) but it was declined as they wanted a family as its easier with leases.

Then Last week when i tried to confirm end date based on 84 days notice ( still mid june as i originally said) i started getting replies back about our lease is until end August and need to check with solicitor.

I signed new lease in August 2018 after new person moved in end May.

Tanacy notice for a tenant over 4 years is 112 days. A canttact cannot overrule the law.

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/ending-a-tenancy/notice-periods-that-a-landlord-should-give/

Dav010 wrote: »
    Tanacy notice for a tenant over 4 years is 112 days. A canttact cannot overrule the law.

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/ending-a-tenancy/notice-periods-that-a-landlord-should-give/

No that the notice the landlord must give a tenant. Its 84 days for a tenant

Treviso wrote: »
    No that the notice the landlord must give a tenant. Its 84 days for a tenant

Op 4.5 years?

There are two tables in that link - one is for the notice a landlord must give a tenant, and one below it is for tenants. OP is there 4.5 years so needs to give 84 days notice

That was my understanding 2 from the table. 4.5 years equals 84 days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Sounds like OP is currently under a fixed-term lease that doesn't end until August. Unless there's a clause in the lease that allows the tenant to terminate it, he would be responsible for rent for the duration of the lease. If he wants out, he would have to give the legally required notice (84 days) to the landlord with the notice period to expire on a date after his fixed term lease has ended. He could only unilaterally break the lease before the fixed term has ended if the landlord breaches the agreement or unreasonably refuses to allow a sublet or assignment (and in the latter case, the 84 days notice is still required).

The lease could also be terminated early, even without the required notice period, if the landlord and the tenant both agree on a shorter notice period and earlier termination date, but it doesn't sound like the OP's landlord is interested (rather shortsighted on the landlord's part, I'd say, since it doesn't seem a couple months of rent is worth turning an amicable landlord-tenant relationship that's ending smoothly into a hostile one that could well devolve into court cases or overstaying non-paying tenants, especially in a market where the property can probably be re-let in a matter of a few weeks if not days, but some folks are penny-wise and pound-foolish, I suppose...).

Unfortunately if the landlord really doesn't want to agree, the OP will be on the hook for all of the rent through the end of the agreed lease term. They could go try to find someone to assign the lease to, but the tricky part is that they'd still have to abide by the 84 day notice period if the landlord refuses, so it really wouldn't help them if the landlord waits until they actually want to make the assignment in June to say "Well, actually...no." Best bet might be for the OP to look for someone to assign to right now and hope the landlord refuses so notice can be given for early July, but if that backfires and the landlord agrees to it after all, the OP would then have to arrange short-term accommodations somewhere for a month or two, which might end up costing almost as much.

OP, if you do go that route, assignment would be preferable to subletting. Subletting would mean you'd still be responsible to the landlord for the payment of rent and for the condition of the property, so if your subletter doesn't pay you or wrecks the place, it's all on you, and you'd have to pursue them in court yourself to recover anything (and it's illegal to sublet for more than the rent you're paying, so don't go thinking you can sneak in some profit that way to make up for the risk...). With assignment, though, once the lease is assigned, the assignee is then the tenant and you have nothing more to do with the property nor any further responsibility; anything that happens after is entirely between the assignee and the landlord. Subletting is really only preferable if you plan on resuming the tenancy yourself at a later date (e.g. if you were moving away for a limited time but wanted to keep your tenancy in place for when you return).

dennyk wrote:
    Sounds like OP is currently under a fixed-term lease that doesn't end until August. Unless there's a clause in the lease that allows the tenant to terminate it, he would be responsible for rent for the duration of the lease. If he wants out, he would have to give the legally required notice (84 days) to the landlord with the notice period to expire on a date after his fixed term lease has ended. He could only unilaterally break the lease before the fixed term has ended if the landlord breaches the agreement or unreasonably refuses to allow a sublet or assignment (and in the latter case, the 84 days notice is still required).

This is the problem and the OP simply wants to ignore they've signed a lease for a fixed term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Shame that rogue tenants aren't subject to the same fines rogue landlords are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Shame that rogue tenants aren't subject to the same fines rogue landlords are.

They are- its just that they never pay- or if they do- its at some ridiculous reductive rate- 1 Euro a week for example..........

Surely I am not first person renting in history that has purchased a house during lease or has everyone perfectly timed that for end of rental agreement before homelessness :) . Is the real expectation that I pay for both places until end of tenancy? Surely that is financially wreckless. I also do not want to leave landlord stuck. Landlord making me pay 3 months rent when I won't be in house only sours relationship and let's be honest forces me into hard decisions which could impact us both.

If they ended tenancy as I hope then they get new people and possibly even raise rent by allowed amount earlier. As I said earlier, place will be snapped up quickly due to location and current rental market

What's the point of signing a contract if one side can just decide they don't want to pay anymore?

You lose your deposit here, you've no case for keeping it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Pat, if I was you, and all you have said is true, I would engineer it in such a way that you only pay over the amount that reflects your usage of the house and take your deposit into consideration too.
    In my opinion the landlord is being unreasonable here and you are being reasonable. It's in Dublin, it will rent out no problem, the landlord does not need to be out of pocket if they just act reasonably so you shouldn't either.

So what if they have to advertise again after 57 months instead of 60.....look after yourself and your new mortgage on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Tenant signs lease
    Tenant decides he doesn’t want lease anymore
    Tenant says they are moving out prior to finish of lease

Please explain to me how the landlord is “screwing” you over?

You should of made sure you are not taking over the house till you finished your current contract. As it is only 2 months you should have agreed this with builder, I’m sure they could of finished someone else’s house if on estate.

The only person getting screw here is the landlord. You are not entitled to deposit back.

Did you make builder aware you had a contract in place till August?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Pat, if I was you, and all you have said is true, I would engineer it in such a way that you only pay over the amount that reflects your usage of the house and take your deposit into consideration too.
    In my opinion the landlord is being unreasonable here and you are being reasonable. It's in Dublin, it will rent out no problem, the landlord does not need to be out of pocket if they just act reasonably so you shouldn't either.

So what if they have to advertise again after 57 months instead of 60.....look after yourself and your new mortgage on this one.

Tenant signed a lease, simple as that. What you are suggesting is illegal

Also how exactly are you going to engineer that you only pay a certain amount?

It doesn’t matter where house is, a lease is a lease, if the landlord tried to break it you can imagine the poo he/she would be in

That is the worst advice post I have ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Pat201 wrote: »
    Surely I am not first person renting in history that has purchased a house during lease or has everyone perfectly timed that for end of rental agreement before homelessness :) . Is the real expectation that I pay for both places until end of tenancy?

If you are on a fixed lease, then you have a legal obligation to pay until the end of the lease. The fact that you are choosing to start paying somewhere else is irrelevant and doesn’t change your obligations under the lease.
    Surely that is financially wreckless.
    I hate to point it out, but you are the person who has no financial reserve to tide them over. I’m concerned that you are being reckless here. There are lots of expenses associated with buying a house, repairs etc. Do you have reserves to cover these?
    I also do not want to leave landlord stuck. Landlord making me pay 3 months rent when I won't be in house only sours relationship and let's be honest forces me into hard decisions which could impact us both. If they ended tenancy as I hope then they get new people and possibly even raise rent by allowed amount earlier. As I said earlier, place will be snapped up quickly due to location and current rental market
    I do agree with you here, as have many posters above. I think the landlord is being a bit daft here. But the landlord is legally entitled to do what he’s doing. The only way out if for you to request to reassign the lease, or else negotiate a mutual agreement with the landlord.

I am not arguing the point of legality of contract. I am arguing on point of common Sense. Landlord holding me to this contract is only putting me under financial burden and for what benefit? I am saying we have 2.5 months now to get new tenants. This is a place in Dublin and anyone who is renting know that a good place can be off market in a few days. It's a landlords market with lack of rental supply.

Before I get the contract is contract reply, this is same landlord that sent a letter 10 months ago demanding for rent increase from 1600 from 2100 as one of the tenants girlfriend stayed over 2 nights a week sometime s and we were accused of subletting. Eviction was other option. 3 people in a 3 bed apartment so dunno how they worked the maths on that one. Place is in RPZ.

Same solicitor advice sought by landlord there :) . Was not long backing down when prtb were involved and my housemate solicitor sent a letter requesting information on accusation. As I said I think landlord has agenda.

• Advertisement

Pat201 wrote: »
    I am not arguing the point of legality of contract. I am arguing on point of common Sense. Landlord holding me to this contract is only putting me under financial burden and for what benefit? I am saying we have 2.5 months now to get new tenants. This is a place in Dublin and anyone who is renting know that a good place can be off market in a few days. It's a landlords market with lack of rental supply.

Before I get the contract is contract reply, this is same landlord that sent a letter 10 months ago demanding for rent increase from 1600 from 2100 as one of the tenants girlfriend stayed over 2 nights a week sometime s and we were accused of subletting. Eviction was other option. 3 people in a 3 bed apartment so dunno how they worked the maths on that one. Place is in RPZ.

Same solicitor advice sought by landlord there :) . Was not long backing down when prtb were involved and my housemate solicitor sent a letter requesting information on accusation. As I said I think landlord has agenda.

It seems you are arguing that common sense should apply, as long as it benefits you.

Anyone reading this thread understands the point you are making, you want out of the contract early so you don’t have to pay for time you are not there. That is fair enough, but you also think you are getting screwed/LL is being unreasonable just because he is following tenancy law/getting legal advice.

Right now, he is doing everything by the book.

It would equally be common sense to look for an increase in rent if more than the agreed number of people are staying in a property, you were quick to use the RTB to prevent this, this would appear to be karma, he is entitled to use the exact same legislation as you did.

Advertisement