Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ending Tenancy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Get a receipt for the sink repair. Seems like a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

TheChizler wrote: »
    Get a receipt for the sink repair. Seems like a lot.

Hard to know if a lot, could be specific sink and plumbers ain’t cheap....saying it’s a lot but then having no rival quote is pointless

Get a quote for job and then you can confirm if expensive or not, also getting a quote from someone you wouldn’t let work on your own house is pointless....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Hard to know if a lot, could be specific sink and plumbers ain’t cheap....saying it’s a lot but then having no rival quote is pointless

Get a quote for job and then you can confirm if expensive or not, also getting a quote from someone you wouldn’t let work on your own house is pointless....

I had a plumber callout recently- the callout was billed at 200, work was at 200 per hour or part thereof, and he gave me the actual invoices for the parts (we had to replace toilet U bends etc). Simple toilet disposal plastic pipes (2) cost just shy of 500 Euro to fix/replace. If I told anyone who looked at them that they cost 500- they'd not believe it. Plumbers are not cheap.

I had a plumber callout recently- the callout was billed at 200, work was at 200 per hour or part thereof, and he gave me the actual invoices for the parts (we had to replace toilet U bends etc). Simple toilet disposal plastic pipes (2) cost just shy of 500 Euro to fix/replace. If I told anyone who looked at them that they cost 500- they'd not believe it. Plumbers are not cheap.

Exactly, a proper plumber is not cheap

Tenants go off and get a price from John who will bust the place up and leave a mess....get a proper plumber in and see how far the 700 quid goes

True but the main thing I'd be checking is that the invoice actually came to €700, or even existed at all!

• Advertisement

True but the main thing I'd be checking is that the invoice actually came to €700, or even existed at all!

Why would the landlord/landlady show you the invoice?

The person has moved out and already agreed to the 700 quid? if they wanted to complain they should of complained before agreeing to it

The OP thinks 700 is expensive as if they are getting ripped off, all I am saying is that if anything is left from the 700 quid it will be small and did anyone count the landlords time arranging to get the item repaired?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The person has moved out and already agreed to the 700 quid? if they wanted to complain they should of complained before agreeing to it

The OP thinks 700 is expensive as if they are getting ripped off, all I am saying is that if anything is left from the 700 quid it will be small and did anyone count the landlords time arranging to get the item repaired?

I could be wrong, but I think any deductions from deposit for repair/replacement have to be supported with receipts. Someone else might confirm/refute that.

To prove the costs they incurred? They're formally required to provide them if it gets as far a dispute.
    Deductions may be made or a deposit may be retained in full if there has been damage above normal wear and tear to the property. However, the onus of proof will be on the landlord to justify why all of, or a portion of the security deposit, was retained to remedy damages in excess of reasonable wear and tear.

The OP only moved out last week, I don't see anything that would imply they've agreed to the costs.

To prove the costs they incurred? They're formally required to provide them if it gets as far a dispute.

The OP only moved out last week, I don't see anything that would imply they've agreed to the costs.

From the OP

It was high up on sink and not leaking but had to be replaced according to landlord. That was fair enough i thought as it was damaged but i did not see it until last inspection.

So they agreed, money is removed but now they have an issue with it?

They broke the tenancy agreement, not the landlord. If they had an issue why not say it then?

To me just sounds like someone who is bitter in life. They have moved into a nice new house, supposed to be one of the biggest moments in your life....last thing on my mind would be what the landlord is renting my previous property for.....

From the OP

They broke the tenancy agreement, not the landlord. If they had an issue why not say it then?
    Nothing there says they agreed to the €700 deduction. Thought it was fair enough to replace the sink during inspection yes, but it sounds like the landlord has only recently informed them how much. Either way the onus is still on the landlord to prove costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

From the OP

To me just sounds like someone who is bitter in life. They have moved into a nice new house, supposed to be one of the biggest moments in your life....last thing on my mind would be what the landlord is renting my previous property for.....

I imagine the "bitterness" stems from the LL saying it's 700 quid damage to the sink (not sure if wear and tear comes into it anywhere as it's likely the sink predates the OP but that's beside the point) and deducting the 700 from the deposit to cover damage and yet then turning around and flouting RPZ legislation and hiking the rent by 800 which after one month pays for the sink damage. Or maybe replacing a sink constitutes significant refurbishment....

OP, ask for the supporting documentation on the cost of the sink - she may not have even repaired it - and see what you get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Pat201 wrote: »
    I kinda feel that landlord was a pain to deal with as she made 500 euro off a person leaving house without giving official notice period even though i had a person in to replace him so no money was lost in rent. I also had issue with her trying to jump rent last year and threatening to evict us if we did not accept. The 700 euro for replacing a sink seems excessive too but i do accept that it had a crack in it .

Any Advice ? Am i being petty ?

Congrats on your new home - hope you'll be very happy there. Moving into a new house is stressful. At this stage, you're out of the tenancy, you don't need to have any more dealings with your former landlord. Just let it go. Save your energy for getting the builders to fix the niggles you'll find in your new place.

Browney7 wrote: »
    I imagine the "bitterness" stems from the LL saying it's 700 quid damage to the sink (not sure if wear and tear comes into it anywhere as it's likely the sink predates the OP but that's beside the point) and deducting the 700 from the deposit to cover damage and yet then turning around and flouting RPZ legislation and hiking the rent by 800 which after one month pays for the sink damage. Or maybe replacing a sink constitutes significant refurbishment....

OP, ask for the supporting documentation on the cost of the sink - she may not have even repaired it - and see what you get back.

The sink was broken,if it was picked up now it would have been picked up 4 years ago when they moved in.

I still dont understand what the new rent has got to do with the OP?

Does the OP know how much of a mortgage the landlord is paying? maybe he/she has been taking a hit for the last few years like a lot of landlord and now can cover off the mortgage?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Does the OP know how much of a mortgage the landlord is paying? maybe he/she has been taking a hit for the last few years like a lot of landlord and now can cover off the mortgage?

There is no exemption in the RPZ legislation relating to mortgages.

I still dont understand what the new rent has got to do with the OP?

Nothing illegal or wrong about topping up a mortgage if rent doesn't cover the full portion. It's the norm in many countries. You still are paying towards an asset you own at the end of the day.

Plenty wrong with breaking the RTA and increasing rent above what is allowed by law. Lawbreaking is everyone's business IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

OP can't file a complaint with the RTB about their former landlord's new rent in any case because they are not the tenant and have no standing.

OP, you can contact the new tenant if you want and let them know what rent you were paying previously. It'd be up to them whether they want to file a complaint or not, though; sometimes folks won't because they are afraid of retribution from the landlord or losing their place entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

dennyk wrote: »
    OP can't file a complaint with the RTB about their former landlord's new rent in any case because they are not the tenant and have no standing.

OP, you can contact the new tenant if you want and let them know what rent you were paying previously. It'd be up to them whether they want to file a complaint or not, though; sometimes folks won't because they are afraid of retribution from the landlord or losing their place entirely.

OP will be able to file a complaint with he RTB next month when they begin to accept complaints in respect of the investigatory capacity given to them under the 2019 Act.

Nothing illegal or wrong about topping up a mortgage if rent doesn't cover the full portion. It's the norm in many countries. You still are paying towards an asset you own at the end of the day.

Plenty wrong with breaking the RTA and increasing rent above what is allowed by law. Lawbreaking is everyone's business IMO.

One conversation is people complaining the rents are gone up because of demand.....Other conversation is the few landlords left everyone wants to try and send them bust.....

So which one is it? do people want more landlords, more choice? or do they want to send the current ones bust so they have less choice and rents continue to increase?

Subutai wrote: »
    OP will be able to file a complaint with he RTB next month when they begin to accept complaints in respect of the investigatory capacity given to them under the 2019 Act.

Another reason why more and more landlords will be selling up.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Interestingly enough though is that landlord has rented place out for 2500 a month and we were paying 1560 a month. House is in a RPZ

Situation im in now is do i just ride off into sunset and forget about the bad relationship i had with landlord or report this person for being greedy in the current market ( the law is there is for a reason).

Yes, this person is breaking the law and should be reported. I don't know if the report needs to come from you or the new tenant(s), but they shouldn't be allowed to get away with increasing the rent by over 60% in a RPZ!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Landlord said in March that it was okay as we gave enough notice

Some of the posters here seem to have ignored this bit.

If you made an agreement verbally, stick to it. If you have texts or emails, even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Pat201

@ 3DataModem
    We all moved out of house last week after required 84 day notice. House was rented out to new people the very next day. The moral question is do i ignore fact that landlord has broken RPZ rules and rented a 3 bed duplex out for 2500 a month , that is nearly 1000 euro more than i was paying. Works out at 800 + a month per room.

I could be accused of being bitter but point is that rules are being broken and if everyone turned a blind eye because it did not affect them we would be in a situation where people were thrown outta houses, overextending to pay a ludicrous rent or even subletting houses to be able to pay those kind of crazy rents. Ohh wait that sounds like current rental market with certain landlords .

im lucky that i was able to get accommodation afew years ago when i first moved to dublin and though it was quite high i could still save each month to be able to eventually buy my own place. At 2500 a month rent not including bills the next generation of renters will be forever stuck and people like this landlord will only get richer.

A point was made earlier that i do not know what mortgage landlord is paying, My point is i guarantee you it aint 2500 and that the same person has more money in there bank account than either of us .

Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

A point was made earlier that i do not know what mortgage landlord is paying, My point is i guarantee you it aint 2500 and that the same person has more money in there bank account than either of us .

Pat

I would love to know how you can guarantee this.

Fol20 wrote: »
    I would love to know how you can guarantee this.

This is none of the tenant's business- and wholly irrelevant to the OP's situation. I'm not even sure why its being mentioned- its quite simply not relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

This is none of the tenant's business- and wholly irrelevant to the OP's situation. I'm not even sure why its being mentioned- its quite simply not relevant.

I think its justification of whatever they would like to do.

I could be accused of being bitter but point is that rules are being broken and if everyone turned a blind eye because it did not affect them we would be in a situation where people were thrown outta houses, overextending to pay a ludicrous rent or even subletting houses to be able to pay those kind of crazy rents. Ohh wait that sounds like current rental market with certain landlords .

Even if you are doing it out of bitterness, it doesn't change the fact that what they're doing is illegal and they should be reported.

Sigh, perhaps, however to try to suggest a landlord is fair game because he/she is likely to have a decent sum squirreled away in a bank account somewhere- quite simply is wishful thinking on someone's part. I wish the government would ever start building social housing units in large volumes- and get the private sector out of supplying property to social tenants. It was stupid to offload local authority obligations on the private sector- and the craziest thing of all is local authorities are still selling local authority housing stocks.

woodchuck wrote: »
    Even if you are doing it out of bitterness, it doesn't change the fact that what they're doing is illegal and they should be reported.

Currently the only person who can report it is the new tenant.
    Whether the OP wishes to gently inform the new tenant of the situation and let them decide what they want to do- is what they have to decide.

With respect of the new legislation- the RTB are on the record as stating they have no intention of using the criminal aspects of the code- any action taken will be civil in nature and likely under current legislation (as its impossible to prove the intent necessary to trigger a criminal case).

As such the OP needs to decide do they contact the new tenant and liaise with them- or do they walk away- the decision whether or not to take a case or make a complaint to the RTB- is the new tenant's to make.

@Conductor, I agree with you that the entire system is a total mess. However the landlord will be well aware that what they're doing is against the rules. The reasons for reporting the landlord and speculation about their finances is completely irrelevant.
    As such the OP needs to decide do they contact the new tenant and liaise with them- or do they walk away- the decision whether or not to take a case or make a complaint to the RTB- is the new tenant's to make.

OP I think you should inform the new tenant. If you were the new tenants, wouldn't you want to know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭MacDanger

@ 3DataModem
    We all moved out of house last week after required 84 day notice. House was rented out to new people the very next day. The moral question is do i ignore fact that landlord has broken RPZ rules and rented a 3 bed duplex out for 2500 a month , that is nearly 1000 euro more than i was paying. Works out at 800 + a month per room.

im lucky that i was able to get accommodation afew years ago when i first moved to dublin and though it was quite high i could still save each month to be able to eventually buy my own place. At 2500 a month rent not including bills the next generation of renters will be forever stuck and people like this landlord will only get richer.

Pat

I'd ask for proof of payment for the E700 for retention of deposit. If this what they've actually paid, they should have no problem proving it. It's your money they're paying this bill with after all.

On the rent increase, write to the new tenants and inform them of what rent you were paying. I'd also contact the RTB giving them the details (maybe they'll follow it up once they have the powers under the new legislation)

You were within your rights to break the lease and the landlord decided to be a w@nker about it despite the fact that he / she would have no difficulty in renting out the apartment. It sounds like you were a good tenant overall but the landlord didn't appreciate that in any sense.

Advertisement