Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircode issue

Options
  • 05-04-2019 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Hi All ,

I have an issue , I am buying a newly built house and I have run in to a major issue. I work from home all the time and I need to have internet supplied however Eir are requiring an eircode to supply it to the new address. Mobile broadband is not an option needs to be fixed.

The issue now is the new address was only registered yesterday with An Post meaning its missed some sort of deadline to be include in the Eircode database. This means now I have to wait until august to get my eircode.

Has anyone advice here as to what I can do to get around this or get an eircode?

I really need broadband for my job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How close it the nearest house with an Eircode and do you know them? Get the internet to their place and either WiFi or LAN it to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Hi Del its right next door couple of feet , there is someone new moving in there so thats not an option

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Is Eir the only option, or could Virgin etc also work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

i'd suggest making a formal complaint to the service provider. exhaust their internal process and then follow up with Comreg.

Can't for the life of me understand why an Eircode is a prerequisite for a service to be provided. Especially when there are limited windows where Eircodes are registered.

Similarly maybe make a complaint to Eircode to get them to register your property earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 La_Ana

I'm afraid I can't add anything helpful, other than to empathise and say I'm in the exact same situation: I'm moving into a new build, work from home and can't get broadband until I have an Eircode (even though there is FTTH in the area, the house next door has it and the pole is right outside my house).

I've been on to Eircode themselves, An Post customer service and internet providers about this over the last few months, but there doesn't seem to be any way to speed up the process. Eircode suggested that the internet providers might have a workaround. However, any of the ones I spoke to say that Eir own the infrastructure for FTTH and can't (won't) process an order without an Eircode.

I've heard of numerous people in this situation, but nobody is prepared to listen to individuals. I asked one of the internet providers if they could appeal to Eir on behalf of customers, as presumably they'd have more clout, but no luck.

It's extremely frustrating!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Comreg anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

La_Ana wrote: »
    I'm afraid I can't add anything helpful, other than to empathise and say I'm in the exact same situation: I'm moving into a new build, work from home and can't get broadband until I have an Eircode (even though there is FTTH in the area, the house next door has it and the pole is right outside my house).

I've been on to Eircode themselves, An Post customer service and internet providers about this over the last few months, but there doesn't seem to be any way to speed up the process. Eircode suggested that the internet providers might have a workaround. However, any of the ones I spoke to say that Eir own the infrastructure for FTTH and can't (won't) process an order without an Eircode.

I've heard of numerous people in this situation, but nobody is prepared to listen to individuals. I asked one of the internet providers if they could appeal to Eir on behalf of customers, as presumably they'd have more clout, but no luck.

It's extremely frustrating!

Your local TD clinic for a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

I would seriously doubt that FTTH is being distributed via telegraph poles

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭irishkopite 2011

homer911 wrote: »
    I would seriously doubt that FTTH is being distributed via telegraph poles
    Yes it is, the majority of the FTTH at the minute is distributed by poles

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭mr_cochise

When FTTH came to my area all my neighbour's were getting it in but for some reason no provider would install it for me as they were saying it is not available.
    Thankfully, a very helpful Eir rep gave me instructions on how to contact OpenEir via email and get my eircode added to the database. I got the following response the next day,

Hi Cochise,

Thank you for your email.

I have aligned your eircode to the nearest fibre box,you should be in  position to place a fibre order in the coming day with your provider of choice.

Kind Regards.

I'll try and pm the contact details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

mr_cochise wrote: »
    When FTTH came to my area all my neighbour's were getting it in but for some reason no provider would install it for me as they were saying it is not available.
    Thankfully, a very helpful Eir rep gave me instructions on how to contact OpenEir via email and get my eircode added to the database. I got the following response the next day,

Hi Cochise,

Thank you for your email.

I have aligned your eircode to the nearest fibre box,you should be in position to place a fibre order in the coming day with your provider of choice.

Kind Regards.

I'll try and pm the contact details.

The issue is he doesn't have an Eircode.

This is a 'computer says no' issue with the process being used and AFAIK there is no work around for it. If Virgin isn't a runner then you may still be able to get Fibre to the Cabinet as (IIRC) the database search was a manual address search.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

An Post & Eircode are two separate things. I wonder would it be quicker (or possible) going straight to Eircode rather than through An Post

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭maik3n

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    An Post & Eircode are two separate things. I wonder would it be quicker (or possible) going straight to Eircode rather than through An Post
    I'm afraid that they are in fact, one and the same thing.
    If you contact eircode directly for a major problem like the OP has, they will just tell you to contact An Post, or more specifically eircode@anpost.ie

I fear the OP is sadly out of luck here.

Unless, if you're REALLY stuck, you could always look at satellite broadband perhaps? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

Just give a nearby Eircode as reference, they always call you to check where the line should go and when the KN guy comes out tell him to install it in your house. I doubt KN check there at the right eircode to install. Also my EIR bill has no eircode on it so they just use it to make sure your in a good area for speed

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

Ring Eir sales. I am sure they will take your order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

I moved into a new (pre-built) house recently so I had an Eircode.
    But Eir wanted a utility bill, in my name to my new address, before they'd set me up with an account. I said I won'y have any bills for a month or two.
    And on it went for six weeks!
    I found Eir the most difficult, frustrating and downright stupid (in terms of their policies etc) service provider I've ever had to deal with.
    Hope you get sorted OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 fully floating

I also had the same problem with trying to get ftth in a new build without an eircode, we found a workaround using pure telecom who first issued us with a phone line then once we had that they were able to place an order for fibre might also work for you

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

won't be installed unless the eir code is corrrect.

my sympathies, but this is something you really should be checking before buying a house if it is a requirment for you to work.

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    won't be installed unless the eir code is corrrect.

my sympathies, but this is something you really should be checking before buying a house if it is a requirment for you to work.

he built it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

daheff wrote: »
    i

Can't for the life of me understand why an Eircode is a prerequisite for a service to be provided. Especially when there are limited windows where Eircodes are registered.

Because , so I have been told apparently , Eir use it to map precisely where the house is located and have set up their systems for it to be inputted as part of the process .

They were fed up with the Yellow House beside the Green House previous method causing numerous location issues

As far as I understand with Eircodes most are allocated before people are in the building .

• Advertisement

For new builds no Eircode is allocated until An Post start delivering mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

eusap wrote: »
    Just give a nearby Eircode as reference, they always call you to check where the line should go and when the KN guy comes out tell him to install it in your house. I doubt KN check there at the right eircode to install

They do, wrong eir code, no install.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 La_Ana

I finally got my Eircode about 12 days ago, but it seems that's not sufficient for getting FTTH. The Eircode now needs to be added to OpenEir's database.
    I contacted OpenEir and they replied: 'To ensure all end customers are treated equally and from a regulatory compliance perspective all communication into this department must come through your service provider. Can I ask that you resubmit your request through your service provider please.'
    I've been in touch with two service providers. One started processing my order, but then cancelled it. The other said they'd contact OpenEir and come back to me in 48 hours. I hadn't heard back from them after 5 days, so followed up then. They've submitted a request to OpenEir, but couldn't tell me whether it will take days, weeks or months for it to be processed.
    Anyone here have any idea?

Absolute joke of a country.

I finally got my Eircode about 12 days ago, but it seems that's not sufficient for getting FTTH. The Eircode now needs to be added to OpenEir's database.
    I contacted OpenEir and they replied: 'To ensure all end customers are treated equally and from a regulatory compliance perspective all communication into this department must come through your service provider. Can I ask that you resubmit your request through your service provider please.'
    I've been in touch with two service providers. One started processing my order, but then cancelled it. The other said they'd contact OpenEir and come back to me in 48 hours. I hadn't heard back from them after 5 days, so followed up then. They've submitted a request to OpenEir, but couldn't tell me whether it will take days, weeks or months for it to be processed.
    Anyone here have any idea?

comreg complaint after complaining to openeir.

irish people dont complain enough here. i had mbna on the run for contacting my father about credit card debt when he never had a card from them. i was in contacting the data protection commissioner who was giving me advice on what to say. I was determined to figure out who gave them the number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

For new builds no Eircode is allocated until An Post start delivering mail.

Talking to a Postman and he told me recently he had some letters from Eircode for delivery that he couldn't deliver because they hadn't actually finished construction of the houses

Advertisement