Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domino scheme criteria

Options
  • 05-04-2019 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi all

Not currently pregnant but trying at the moment and have a plan in my head that I will be going for the Domino scheme. However I’ve heard that there is a weight restriction? I could definitely lose a few pounds so I’m concerned that this will effect my ability to get onto the scheme. Does anyone have any information about this?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I don't have any specific info relating to weight, but I did the domino with Holles St (and couldn't recommend it highly enough), and they only take really straightforward cases. Having a high BMI increases the risk of complications in pregnancy, so I would imagine you wouldn't qualify.

They are generally really helpful if you have any queries though, so why not just ring them and ask what the limit is? Would give you something to work towards, and may make TTC more successful too.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Clashmore

I think in my area, it is a BMI of over 30 makes you ineligible. Don’t quote me on that. I am on my 4 pregnancy with the Domino Scheme and would highly recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭yaya*

Thanks for the replies. My bmi is actually 28 so if that’s the case, I’ll still qualify. I’ll give them a ring to be sure though.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

To follow on from the OP, does anyone know if being aged 38-40 would preclude someone from the Domino Scheme? Is that considered high risk even if there are no other issues?

Also, based on the maps, and despite being in Dublin South City and a 20 minute walk from both, we are technically neither in the Coombe catchment or the Holles Street catchment. Does that definitely exclude us?

Not yet expecting, but exploring our options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Also, based on the maps, and despite being in Dublin South City and a 20 minute walk from both, we are technically neither in the Coombe catchment or the Holles Street catchment. Does that definitely exclude us?

Where exactly are you? Both seem to cover a wide area.. I'd ring and enquire if I were you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I suspect your age may rule you out, but do give them a ring to see.

To follow on from the OP, does anyone know if being aged 38-40 would preclude someone from the Domino Scheme? Is that considered high risk even if there are no other issues?

Not yet expecting, but exploring our options.
    Cash_Q wrote: »
    Where exactly are you? Both seem to cover a wide area.. I'd ring and enquire if I were you
    shesty wrote: »
    I suspect your age may rule you out, but do give them a ring to see.

I emailed Holles Street, and they replied really quickly! In case anyone else is interested age is not an issue as long as you have not done any fertility treatment, and if this is not your first pregnancy, previous ones should be natural as well (not C-section). They also checked my specific address, and we are in the catchment area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The Domino scheme works great if it works for you. But I know so many people who started in it and then as soon as any minor difficulty arose were shunted out of the scheme. Some would have gone private or semi private instead and avoided the changeover to another system if they'd known just how strict the criteria can be. Just something to bear in mind.

lazygal wrote: »
    The Domino scheme works great if it works for you. But I know so many people who started in it and then as soon as any minor difficulty arose were shunted out of the scheme. Some would have gone private or semi private instead and avoided the changeover to another system if they'd known just how strict the criteria can be. Just something to bear in mind.

Absolutely, we're not blind to the idea that things might not go to plan, and are looking at all our options at the moment.

What other Domino criteria are you aware of? Just so we are aware of the types of things that might exclude us.

Apologies for hijacking the thread, we're not even pregnant yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Absolutely, we're not blind to the idea that things might not go to plan, and are looking at all our options at the moment.

What other Domino criteria are you aware of? Just so we are aware of the types of things that might exclude us.

Apologies for hijacking the thread, we're not even pregnant yet!
    One of my friends was moved to the public system because blood pressure was a bit high one week. Another because baby was breech and she needed a section (then she really wished she had a shot at a private room as she was stuck on a public ward for five days after recovery).
    It is a fantastic scheme for people who have no issues and tick all the boxes. Unfortunately I am not one of those people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭Ms2011

... and if this is not your first pregnancy, previous ones should be natural as well (not C-section). They also checked my specific address, and we are in the catchment area.

Just to say having a C-Section previously doesn't automatically disqualify you from the Domino Scheme, you have to fight a bit harder for it but it can be done.
    That was the case for me in the Coombe anyway.

Advertisement