Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim number

Options
  • 05-04-2019 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

Hi I have an old o2 unit with a Sim in it for wifi. I don't know how to find the number to top it up.
    There are some numbers on the Sim but they don't look like a phone number. Want to get it working again for a security camera. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Hi I have an old o2 unit with a Sim in it for wifi. I don't know how to find the number to top it up.
    There are some numbers on the Sim but they don't look like a phone number. Want to get it working again for a security camera. Thanks.

Can you put it into a phone and make a call from it? The number should be visible then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I can't make a call with no credit!

I can't make a call with no credit!

Ah, sorry thought there might have been some residual credit.

If it's very old, 3 may have recycled the old O2 number. Think it's after a year of no activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Oh i see what you meant. A new sim is about a tenner anyway right? So if I get a new o2 Sim and stick it in I should be fine?

If I got someone with an o2 phone, and my phone, voda, and did a speed test at the place with the data on that should show which is faster right? Cos if I'm going to buy a Sim I'd buy the fastest one for the area.

Oh i see what you meant. A new sim is about a tenner anyway right? So if I get a new o2 Sim and stick it in I should be fine?

If I got someone with an o2 phone, and my phone, voda, and did a speed test at the place with the data on that should show which is faster right? Cos if I'm going to buy a Sim I'd buy the fastest one for the area.

O2 merged with 3 about 4 years ago, so you will not be able to get a new o2 SIM

I have a 3 PAYG sim in a LTE router to provide WiFi in an area with decent mobile signal, but no phone or fibre. Works well, 20 euro per month, use excess credit with Google Pay to pay for in game purchases.

My own phone is not locked to a network so I can use any sim in it. But I'm sure your speed test plan would work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Put the sim into a phone, the number should be available in the phone system,

On android phone: settings-about phone-status-sim status-my phone number

If it is a very old sim that hasn't been used it may no longer be active, if you can't get a signal it has most likely been deactivated and you will need a new sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Put the sim into a phone, the number should be available in the phone system,

On android phone: settings-about phone-status-sim status-my phone number

On my Samsung A6 running Android 8.0.0, it won't show me my phone number.

Following the menu options you outlined above, under 'sim-status', there is no 'my phone number' but on the first screen when you click the 'About Phone' option, there is a menu at the top of the screen with several values, the first one is 'My phone number' and the value is 'UNKNOWN'.

The IMEI is shown but it cannot tell my phone number and I have never seen a phone display my phone number from the h/w.

Advertisement