Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty PSU

Options
  • 05-04-2019 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to double check that my power supply is the issue.

Occasionally when powering on my PC it will reset before even reaching bios screen and reverts bios setting's to default(boot order,ram profile setting).

I believe it is because of the switch on power supply as I always switch it off when done,it happened more frequently when doing that so I left it in the on position and it was fine. Now it happens leaving the switch on.

Just wanted to make sure before buying a new PSU.
    My specs:Intel Xeon E3-1230v2, LGA1155
    8GB-Kit A-DATA XPG G Series PC1600 CL9
    ASRock B75 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 WindForce 3X OC, 2G
    be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 7 500W
    WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6Gb's(storage)
    Intel 520 series 240gb ssd(games)Already had this ssd.
    Samsung SSD 840 120GB SATA 6Gb/s (boot drive)
    LiteOn iHAS124-04 schwarz SATA
    Nanoxia deep silence one
    coolermaster hyper 212 evo
    LogiLink USB 2.0 all-in-one Card Reader
    Windows 7 home premium 64 bit

I have not overclocked anything or changed any settings.I built the PC in September 2013.

I originally bought from Hardwareversand which is no longer around.

Any links or suggestions would be great, thinking if staying with 500watt and maybe a modular PSU.

Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Stefan_Cork

Hard to say but by the sound of it could be button alright.
    Amazon uk or de should have what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'd start with the PSU alright; your current model is 3 years past its warranty so could be on its way out alright.

Be Quiet make a lovely Gold-rated semi-modular 500W with 5-year warranty for <€75: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JHLD38L/?tag=pcp0f-21

Also found this step-up, Seasonic 550W Platinum, 10 years warranty, fully modular for €93: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074N8YBK9?creative=22110&creativeASIN=B074N8YBK9&linkCode=df0&tag=geizhals07-21

Additionally, check in BIOS if the CPU voltage wasn't set to some ridiculously high number during a crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Before you do anything you should replace the bios battery. It's a button battery located on the motherboard designed to keep the bios settings you've set that aren't the default settings alive. You can pick one up in those euro shops. They normally last about 5 years or more but it's still worth checking as a first option. Hopefully that is the problem as it costs very little to replace.

cmos-battery-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Thank you all for your help.I will start by checking the BIOS settings and replacing the BIOS battery and go from there.

Thanks.

Just to give an update,

Replaced the battery,as i was changing out the battery i noticed the USB cable for the front USB ports wasn't plugged all the way in.

Sometimes when i plugged in my phone to get pictures from it ,it would disconnect and autoplay would come back up,never gave it much notice as i taught it was to do with the phone.Wonder would that of caused the issue?

Made sure the rest of the cables were plugged in correctly.Might not be relevant to this issue but i made sure i have the latest BIOS version.

I took some pictures while i had the side panel off and took pictures of the BIOS settings to make sure all is ok.

Sorry for the quality.

https://imgur.com/a/YvJGrZY

Thank You for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I take it replacing the battery didn't resolve the problem?

Certainly faulty cable connections can cause problems.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I take it replacing the battery didn't resolve the problem?

Certainly faulty cable connections can cause problems.

As I mentioned, it happens occasionally every now and then so will have to wait and see after more use.

Thanks.

Advertisement