Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New ‘Park Run’ style cycling events launched all across Ireland

Options
  • 06-04-2019 9:46am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Having begun 15 years ago as a single run with just seven participants, Park Run has become a global movement, and hugely popular in Ireland.

The 2km and 5km runs are organised by volunteer organisers in their local communities. And runners turn up and take part on the day.

It’s a movement that has gotten millions of people off their sofas and back in to exercise; organised and fun but non-competitive.

And now a new scheme has been launched for cycling in Ireland by Cycling Ireland with the backing of the Axa Insurance company.
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/community-bike-rides-axa/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Finally, something I can win.

Is there a list of events? Looks like you have to sign up in order to see if there is one near you?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Is there a list of events? Looks like you have to sign up in order to see if there is one near you?

Here; https://www.axacommunitybikerides.com/rides

Great idea, hope it takes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Great idea, but need to be accessible for under 18's asap. -Bringing the kids is what makes the park runs such a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭cletus

I think it's a great idea, but does anybody have any experience of how it runs in practice? I've done park runs, and they're all in a park (obviously). How will this work out on the roads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Fair play to CI for taking the initiative with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

cletus wrote: »
    I think it's a great idea, but does anybody have any experience of how it runs in practice? I've done park runs, and they're all in a park (obviously). How will this work out on the roads?

How do you take young kids out on to the roads in big numbers? Dangerous.

I assume it's also going to be in parks?

If not, get ready for the moans from motorists trapped behind them on a Saturday morning.

If it's properly marshalled there should be no issue with kids riding it. Same as how clubs ride with juniors. Adults to the front and rear directing them, I've seen local club riding with a group I'd say as young as 12-13 maybe.

Younger than that it gets easier as you just let them do laps in a park on their little bikes. For the older ones and adults, many parks wouldn't be ideal for a big number of bikes and surfaces might no suit it so the road is the place for those. Areas with greenway access would have a decent turnout I'd imagine.

NIMAN wrote: »
    How do you take young kids out on to the roads in big numbers? Dangerous.

I assume it's also going to be in parks?

If not, get ready for the moans from motorists trapped behind them on a Saturday morning.

https://www.axacommunitybikerides.com/rides/tour-delakes-blessington-5c9961faa350e5.80124976

Having a look at one of the cycles (relatively) close to me, it would appear it will be on the road, group size is 8, so I'd imagine it will run like a club cycle of sorts. I was imaging something akin to the park runs where you could have 100 or more people taking part.

No mention of children either

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

cletus wrote: »
    https://www.axacommunitybikerides.com/rides/tour-delakes-blessington-5c9961faa350e5.80124976

Having a look at one of the cycles (relatively) close to me, it would appear it will be on the road, group size is 8, so I'd imagine it will run like a club cycle of sorts. I was imaging something akin to the park runs where you could have 100 or more people taking part.

No mention of children either
    You couldn’t gave it in a park. 2 hours of cyclists doing laps in a footpath on a weekend morning.

Even the Phoenix park couldn’t deal with that on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I looked at the site last night, what I got from it was - no kids which is ridiculous and small numbers.
    Sure it will suit some- but what we need are kid friendly Sunday morning spins around towns when the traffic is light with biggish numbers. Allowing kids to cycle in otherwise hostile territory.
    Marty.

ted1 wrote: »
    You couldn’t gave it in a park. 2 hours of cyclists doing laps in a footpath on a weekend morning.

Even the Phoenix park couldn’t deal with that on a regular basis.

I didn't actually think it would be in a park. Really I was wondering how they would marshal such an event on the road, seeing as how they were being compared to a park run, which can draw big numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

martyc5674 wrote: »
    I looked at the site last night, what I got from it was - no kids which is ridiculous and small numbers.
    Sure it will suit some- but what we need are kid friendly Sunday morning spins around towns when the traffic is light with biggish numbers. Allowing kids to cycle in otherwise hostile territory.
    Marty.
    I’m not sure you know how park runs work. They are volunteer run. Some places decide to run junior park runs.

Sounds like you should get in touch with them and volunteer to run a junior cycle.

ted1 wrote: »
    I’m not sure you know how park runs work. They are volunteer run. Some places decide to run junior park runs.

Sounds like you should get in touch with them and volunteer to run a junior cycle.

I do... I’ve been and my kids do a junior one. They are great- what CI are proposing sounds nothing like park run to me.

I was actually in contact with CI about a year ago trying to get something V similar off the ground.
    Marty.

These wouldn’t be marshaled like sportive...the marshals would be with the group- that’s how I’d see it working with kids/families.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

fat bloke wrote: »
    Bringing the kids is what makes the park runs such a winner.

For some. I used to run regularly until a few years ago and there weren’t many kids at the Parkruns I occasionally did.
    There are plenty of opportunities for kids to dip into sports (in most areas) but Parkrun to my mind was good for getting adults somewhat active in a pretty casual and friendly environment. Surely not everything needs to cater for kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

"kids" is too catch-all. Fair enough of you're talking about 8-10 year olds but what about 14+?

It's the same issue with sportives. They'll have a 12k family cycle, but allow over 18's only for the 60 or 80km loop, which is well within the abilities of a 15,16,17 year old. Excluding them is a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The issue is the garda vetting for anyone coaching/ leading under 18's.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

with parkrun, it started with a bunch of people who all knew each other in one park.

It stayed in a single park for two years, and then a few people who ran there decided to start the same thing in another park.

The regular parkrun was going for 6 years before the 2k junior events started.

That's how it grew, and continues to grow. People go to a parkrun in one place, think it's good, and decide to set up one of their own.

parkrun the organisation provide some training and support, and the model, but they don't set up new runs. It's always a bunch of people in an area taking it on themselves.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Surely not everything needs to cater for kids?

Everything isn't though. Aside from the odd buggy runner in more serious runs, the only running event I've done that gets lots of families is the Park Run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

What way is this faring out?
    It would seem most suitable to greenways given the potential for accidents/liability on public roads.
    I'd imagine tourists would be keen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Wouldn't mind giving this a go in the near future. Not really fit enough to keep up with a club spin but wouldn't mind joining others.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

What way is this faring out?
    It would seem most suitable to greenways given the potential for accidents/liability on public roads.
    I'd imagine tourists would be keen.

I think it's for everyone, an introduction to the sport, trying it out.
    Great idea.
    Hopefully it takes off.
    No problem on regular roads, they're run by experienced people.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lewotsil

fat bloke wrote:
    It's the same issue with sportives. They'll have a 12k family cycle, but allow over 18's only for the 60 or 80km loop, which is well within the abilities of a 15,16,17 year old. Excluding them is a pity.

Great point ..... I remember doing a 60km sportif (or leisure cycle as they were called in early 90s) with my dad when I was about 11 or 12 .... it was epic to me at time .... nice memory

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I was looking at the website to see what counties had cycles coming up. Not many to be honest. This would be peak season with the weather and tourists around.

Given that Axa were sponsoring it and Cycling Ireland are behind it I have seen very little promotion of it.

I don't think I'd fancy leading a group around on a public road but it seems ideal for greenways and trails. You could cater for kids much easier.
    You would probably want 2 leaders for each spin - someone at the front and back.

Advertisement