Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of ditching Apple

Options
  • 06-04-2019 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve been with Apple almost 10 years now and I’m thinking of jumping ship. Before my current iPhone 7 which I’ve had for the last 2.5 years I had the iPhone 5 for about 4 years before it became unusable. Now 4 years isn’t bad and I was planning on getting the same out of this phone. It’s the only way I can justify shelling out so much money on a phone. I generally buy the phone outright and spend €20 A month on credit

The problem is, now my iPhone 7 has started acting up. The mute switch at the side isn’t working and randomly the mute function will turn on and off for no reason resulting in my phone vibrating on and off. Very frustrating. I brought my phone in to be repaired but when I went back I was told that they could find nothing physically wrong with the phone but they couldn’t fix it as it appeared to be software related. They said it was very common with older iPhones and suggested I sell up and switch to Android as the majority of issues are fixable. I’m contemplating right now to be honest. I just wanted to get an idea on whether you guys believe that planned obsolescence is a thing or not or is there anything else I should try which I haven’t consedered?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Well it’s up to you. The guy in the store clearly has an android bias however. And it’s likely it is a hardware issue.

To me iPhones last much longer than my android phones. You just have to look at the people with iPhones - the X models probably aren’t in the majority even now. Lots of people sporting the 6,7 and 8 models. Apple supports fairly ancient phones with software. 80% of all active devices were on 12 last time I checked. So no, Apple doesn’t build in software obsolesce.

Hardware is a different thing - batteries are inevitably going to get worse and wear and tear is inevitable. The mute switch is fairly flimsy. Even there Apple phones last a lot longer.

So go somewhere else for an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Mr.S wrote: »
    Try and repair the phone via Apple directly. I wouldn't trust a lot of the repair shops here for anything more than standard fixes that screen repair or battery replacement.

Have you tried a full reset and update of the phone? Setup the phone as new, and don't restore from a backup.

I’ll give this a go when I get a chance. Have to make sure I get all my photos off it first. My NAS kicked the bucket a few months ago and I lost my laptop charger a few weeks ago :rolleyes:

As for an Apple repair, I thought they had a very high standard chearge because they give you a different refurbished phone back?

EDIT: Just checked there. €275 to repair it through Apple. That’s scandalous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Some fixes mentioned here.

https://youtu.be/rvAtQcFltFE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Tried the switch myself recently. Really didn't fancy it, got myself a XS max a few months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Third party vendors are biased towards android as its easier for them to repair hardware faults etc.
    With iphones replacing a screen by a third party disables the fingerprint scanner/faceid and only apple or authorised resellers can access the necessary progams to correct this.

Hardwarewise its not a problem jumping to Android.
    Its the whole ios vs Android argument really. Yes Android allows you to do some really great things that I'd love on apple such as being able to download, torrent, tweak etc.
    On the other hand I use my phone a lot for banking, paying bills etc so security is a must. And I trust Apple far far more than google with my information, plus my iphone receives regular updates.
    Also apps tend to be a bit more polished on ios.
    I'm still tempted by those huawei phones though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Sadly Apple died along with Steve Jobs. Cook is no more an alpha male than the mouse under my kitchen sink. If you took adjectives out of his vocabulary he’d be mute. He stands for nothing and too many weak links appeared under his watch, too numerous to even mention. He scares and inspires nobody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Monoke

I started out with Apple then moved to Android
    I like both, definitely pros and cons either way, however Apple's system is very locked down. My favourite feature of Android is how easily you can access the file architecture. I use my phone as a portable drive as much as anything else and I love being able to get under the hood and move things around. Perhaps Apple have freed things up somewhat but I remember the hoops I used to have to go through to get things in and out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think it's more when they replaced the home button.

iPhones are premium products. You'll always pay more for them. They get updates for longer than android phones. Expensive to fix.

Top end Androids tend to have better hardware and obviously the cheaper ones are better bang for buck. But most don't get updates for long. Some models do like Google phones and Android one etc.

Pros and cons to both. Which compromise you pick is subjective opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Is that correct? I had a screen replaced by a third party repair shop and touchID remained active the same as before the repair - presumed they just keep the original home button?

I think maybe it depends on the models involved.

iPhone 5s, 6 & 6 Plus, 6s & 6s Plus and SE models have an actual home button that is not part of the screen glass and can be separated.

iPhone 7 & 7 Plus, 8 & 8 Plus have an indentation on the screen glass that where the home button was on the previous models. It emulates the effects of an actual physical “clicky” button using same type of pressure sensitivity that Force Touch uses, plus haptic feedback vibrations which makes your finger feel like it’s pressing a button. I was amazed at how similar to a button it felt when I first got my iPhone 7.
    As the fingerprint reader also seems to be built into this indented pseudo home button, I am not sure if non authorised repair shops can get the TouchID working on these models after screen replacement, so maybe this is what Blazer means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

beauf wrote: »
    iPhones are premium products. You'll always pay more for them. They get updates for longer than android phones. Expensive to fix.

Top end Androids tend to have better hardware and obviously the cheaper ones are better bang for buck. But most don't get updates for long. Some models do like Google phones and Android one etc.

Pros and cons to both. Which compromise you pick is subjective opinion.

I have the xs max. Can we call it a premium product? Premium in price. But no longer in spec. This is what is starting to annoy me. While I still prefer IOS over Android. The present XS camera is behind last years Google and Huawei phones. Never mind there latest ones. It no longer has best in Class screen either. Yet we pay premium price.

Premium simply means you pay more for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Once you go Huawei you never go any other way....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

You're paying for IOS, you're not paying for the hardware as such IMO.
    I prefer iPhones but as mentioned a million times. Pros and cons with both.
    If you have a hardware issue with anything iphone 7 and newer then don't touch the 3rd party repair shops with a barge pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Paying extra for iOS, I don't see any pros iOS has over Pie.

Is that correct? I had a screen replaced by a third party repair shop and touchID remained active the same as before the repair - presumed they just keep the original home button?

6plus or older and they can keep the touchid intact.
    The newer ones need both the cable and the home button intact. A lot of those places screw it up taking it out. Whereas the registered third party crowds has the necessary software to activate the new home button.

I have the xs max. Can we call it a premium product? Premium in price. But no longer in spec. This is what is starting to annoy me. While I still prefer IOS over Android. The present XS camera is behind last years Google and Huawei phones. Never mind there latest ones. It no longer has best in Class screen either. Yet we pay premium price.

No phone ever maintains best in class.
    At the time the xs max screen was the best screen out there.
    Of course its been surpassed by newer models. This is expected so I don't know how you can complain about it.
    Pricewise yep I agree Apple have gone crazy. But the top end Android phones are rapidly catching up.
    I'm guessing they've copped on that regardless of Apple or Android people will lap up the latest phones and pay crazy prices for them.

Paying extra for iOS, I don't see any pros iOS has over Pie.

Security and more apps. Applications for iOS don’t randomly crash out nearly as much. Android has many security issues with this makes the phone customisable. But I don’t need to customise my phone I rather my data is secure.
    By the way I use both an android and an iPhone.
    The android is a year younger and the battery life isn’t as good. I could go on. I do love all things tech but IOS is a much more stable OS than anything google has come up with.

Disagree with you on every point there so best leave it. Your data is more secure on Pie by the way.

Disagree with you on every point there so best leave it. Your data is more secure on Pie by the way.

Sorry I was incorrect, more apps on Android. Everything else stands. A quick google should verify the security question

• Advertisement

Have another look at the security in Pie you'll be surprised.

It’s pretty clear android are still addressing security concerns over their ecosystem. This is brilliant as seen below but still nowhere near as secure as IOS. Plenty of apps with malware no doubt riddling the PlayStore. The fact they are still catching up is a security concern in itself. My point stands. I always said I would go back to Android more permanently when they address many of the issues they have. For now though the Android remains as a work phone for me. I am honestly looking forward to switching back and by the looks of it, it’s not too far away another year maybe.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/venturebeat.com/2019/02/28/google-has-helped-300000-android-developers-fix-security-vulnerabilities-in-over-1-million-apps/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I have had problems with the mute switch on my 6+, and I realised that it is usually caused by dust or grit in the switch itself.

My solution - AND I DON'T ADVOCATE THIS FOR YOU - is to get a tiny flexible piece of plastic or wood and gently slide it in behind the switch and move side to side. I've found this dislodges whatever has ended up in there.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/clean-inside-of-the-ring-silent-switch.1287273/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Have another look at the security in Pie you'll be surprised.

The neighbors kid found a Samsung something and It took me an hour to bypass the android ‘find my’ whatever equivalent lock is and I have never used an android. You won’t do that with iOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,513 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Since the death of the great man that was Steve Jobs it appears that Apple has become all about the money. Their phones are way overpriced now
    I used the iPhone for a while and seamlessly switched over to Android, I had Android before.
    My wife was an iPhone user from the get go but I bought her a new Android phone for her birthday a couple of weeks back. She has already settled in and is very happy she made the switch due to the amount of freedom she enjoys now compared to on an iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

Interesting thread, been an apple user since the 3GS and now on a 7+ 256GB but I think thats it for me. Mrs got a Mi A1 as a substitute while her 7 was back to apple for repair and refused to go back to the 7 so ended up selling it. Have played around with it and for 200 its very impressive and as far as I can see as fast as my 7+

One of the lads in work got the poco f1 and its equally impressive. I'm debating about selling the 7 now or holding on till it dies and then jumping but I'm 99% sure the next will be android.

The apple pricing just doesn't make sense to me and for what i need a 2/300 phone that does the same makes more sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

eagle eye wrote: »
    Since the death of the great man that was Steve Jobs it appears that Apple has become all about the money. Their phones are way overpriced now
    I used the iPhone for a while and seamlessly switched over to Android, I had Android before.
    My wife was an iPhone user from the get go but I bought her a new Android phone for her birthday a couple of weeks back. She has already settled in and is very happy she made the switch due to the amount of freedom she enjoys now compared to on an iPhone.

He certainly wouldn’t be claiming new emojis are a reason to upgrade your OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Apple make great phones but do we need half the features? The Xiaomi Mi9 is probably the best bang for buck phone money can buy.

Excellent camera, 2 day battery life, super fast performance, and worlds fastest wireless charging, OS updates for at least 2 + years.

Can't go wrong really. 450 euro from Amazon, sim free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Circuital

eagle eye wrote: »

Out of interest, what does she do with her Android phone now that she didn't with her iPhone? Just wondering what kind of freedom a presumably average person would have with Android.

• Advertisement

Multitasking for starters..

Advertisement