Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of ditching Apple

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Circuital

Multitasking for starters..

Is that even something your average user would even notice? I know people who've switched to Android and they don't even know what that means.

Also, not really a 'freedom'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Kilboor wrote: »
    OS updates for at least 2 + years.

Can't go wrong really. 450 euro from Amazon, sim free.

The fact you mention this means that the phone is not secure after 2 years and you paid 450 euro for A device that’s not secure with your whole life on it is pretty worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Circuital wrote: »
    Is that even something your average user would even notice? I know people who've switched to Android and they don't even know what that means.

I like Apple products but if you want freedom examples how about:

-Can install apps outside play store (which means easier to watch dodgy streams)
    -Can torrent
    -Can change the default browser that links open with
    -Android supports Webm codecs
    -Android is still capable of flash support
    -Can install skins, launchers, icons and even flash new Roms
    -Can use a mouse to control phone if screen ever breaks
    -Can easily access file manager storage and use phone like a usb or computer if required
    -Can send photos over bluetooth
    -Dual sim card support

They're off the top of my head from using an iPhone he last while

The fact you mention this means that phone is not secure after 2 years and you paid 450 euro for it is pretty worrying.

I mean OS updates, not security patches.

I like Apple products but if you want freedom examples how about:

-Can install apps outside play store (which means easier to watch dodgy streams)
    -Can torrent
    -Android is still capable of flash support
    -Can install skins, launchers, icons and even flash new Roms
    -Can use a mouse to control phone if screen ever breaks
    -Can easily access file manager storage and use phone like a usb or computer if required
    -Can send photos over bluetooth

They're off the top of my head from using an iPhone he last while

Yes I'm aware of all that, but what freedom's would your average joe use, presumable the persons girlfriend I initially replied to?

I don't know a single woman interested in flashing roms, using custom launchers or downloading torrents so I was wondering what freedoms your 'presumably average user' would enjoy...genuinely.

• Advertisement

Yes I'm aware of all that, but what freedom's would your average joe use, presumable the persons girlfriend I initially replied to?

I don't know a single woman interested in flashing roms, using custom launchers or downloading torrents so I was wondering what freedoms your 'presumably average user' would enjoy...

Oh of course for normal people stick to Apple. I'd recommend Apple to anyone who doesn't care about messing around with their phone or being able to do extra stuff.

The only one from above would be send photos via bluetooth that's it.

It's better for certain users to be locked down and monopolised to one ecosystem. Less hassle and way more user friendly, can't really **** anything up on iOS

I'm actually using an iPhone 5c currently, still going strong 6 years later. Fanastically built piece of phone but the OS is not user friendly for my needs that's the only issue I have ! Competition is always good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Flash new roms :confused:

People here on a message board tech section are likely technically minded and like to play and try these things

An average user may not understand most of that list and certainly have no desire to do any of it

Edit: already addressed ^^^^ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Switched from Apple after 10 years too, to a xiaomi. Best thing I ever did, and for €170. Android One so updates for the foreseeable, and when they stop, 170 won't break the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

The greatest freedom is being able to use a universal charging cable

-Can install apps outside play store (which means easier to watch dodgy streams) - security concern. (You can stream most sites using the safari browser)

-Can torrent (deffo a plus but I’ve never wanted to torrent on a phone because I’ve a laptop for that)

-Android is still capable of flash support - fair point

-Can install skins, launchers, icons and even flash new Roms (pretty cool, high chance of bricking a phone and losing imei)

-Can use a mouse to control phone if screen ever breaks ( are you telling me you carry a mouse)

(iPhone does this)

-Can send photos over bluetooth ( because it’s 2004, Whatsapp man hahahahaha)

Look I understand it’s pretty handy being able to do certain things depending on the user entirely but some of the above examples are actually pretty funny. Thanks for that I got a good laugh out of the mouse one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The freedoms to multitask using 2 apps at once, it's something I use the whole time.
    You know people who switched to Android? Your average iPhone user doesn't have a clue how to use an iPhone either.
    Android was a bit rough for years and people moved from Samsung's, Sony, Nokia etc and found the iphone experience better. That's all changed now. iOS is a pain in the ass now compared to Android excuse my french.
    I wouldn't hate on it as much if it wasn't for the complete rip off pricing, your average iPhone user can't afford any of the new iPhones and when they see the price there not long about jumping ship to Android.

-Can install apps outside play store (which means easier to watch dodgy streams) - security concern. (You can stream most sites using the safari browser)

-Can torrent (deffo a plus but I’ve never wanted to torrent on a phone because I’ve a laptop for that)

-Android is still capable of flash support - fair point

-Can install skins, launchers, icons and even flash new Roms (pretty cool, high chance of bricking a phone and losing imei)

-Can use a mouse to control phone if screen ever breaks ( are you telling me you carry a mouse)

(iPhone does this)

-Can send photos over bluetooth ( because it’s 2004, Whatsapp man hahahahaha)

Look I understand it’s pretty handy being able to do certain things depending on the user entirely but some of the above examples are actually pretty funny. Thanks for that I got a good laugh out of the mouse one.

Ok clearly a fan boy. Remember competition is always good mate and ability to have more features is never a bad thing. You genuinely seem upset at competition, kind of worrying to be honest why anyone would fanboy over one ecosystem or another....

I based everything above off my own use cases. My phone digitiser of a cheap android phone (90 euro) had got wet but screen still turned on and I was able to easily recover all data using mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I have a Pixel 2, the camera is fantastic and is always due to get security updates every month from Google, I don't get the android is less secure line when you use a proper flagship phone and not a 200 quid android which won't get proper security updates, you get what you pay for I suppose...

I am tempted to try an iPhone for a while as I use a Mac for my day to day PC stuff, and I do enjoy using it...

My sister has the XR and it is a nice enough phone, I still think the pictures from Pixel tend to come out better though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I use Apple and Android myself.

Like has been said, pros and cons. I've never understood the one or other, or the arguments about such things. But I do enjoy reading them ha!

ios has less customization etc, but it's a great os with great applications. As a software developer myself I have to respect it!

Android is great now too though from a stability point of view, and say app quality.

Both fantastic systems imo.

I think I'll always want apple for my tablet and laptop (as I can run every OS on it easily) and so far have stuck with android for my phone, but there's only a couple of things stopping me in ios, and apple will probably fix them soon the way they are going. As I do like the freedom in android that makes the phone a bit more like a PC in my pocket, but it comes with trade offs that someone less in to technology would not go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

Out of interest, what does she do with her Android phone now that she didn't with her iPhone? Just wondering what kind of freedom a presumably average person would have with Android.

Calls, messages, Whatsapp, Outlook, LinkedIn, bit of social media, some scrabble game??? Spotify, Netflix, camera and pics.

All the same stuff really but the odd thing and shes a complete luddite and finds the android one far easier to use and navigate so I'm as shocked as you are??

When I gave it to her I expected to be doing 24hr tech support. Initially I was concerned when I bought it about making the change and expected it to be complicated but I was really surprised at the simplicity. I think much of the ease of use and transfer is down to how powerful google really is. I find myself searching for settings on the iphone but the Android One has things where I expect them, its simple.

The hey google assistant runs rings around siri, voice recognition is vastly superior and googles big brother spying eye just seems to make everything slick, its predictive stuff is so clever its scary. Mind you we probably sold our souls to big data but in this world today unless you go off grid to a cave they own you anyway so you might as well get some benefits from it.

So - nothing different really, just simpler and more intuitive to use if you can believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I use Apple and Android myself.

but it comes with trade offs that someone less in to technology would not go for.

Just finished my previous post and expressed the opposite comment, interesting how people perceive things

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I’m always switching back and forth, currently using a iphone Max and will try the upcoming Note 10. To be honest though, all those extra android features i hardly use. I prefer quality over quantity. I also have a S10plus but i still prefer to use the Max. So far i think the max has the nicest screen , most colour accurate i have seen. When you view a photo on the screen it’s actually like viewing an actual photograph.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Hi OP,

I'm in the same boat and I feel like venting about it too. Great thread!

Have iPhones since the 3, have two MacBook Pros too.
    And I love(d) them, especially the older MacBook is a great machine. It has all the ports you'll ever need, memory and hard disc is based on standard components, rock solid machine, especially since I upgraded the disc to SSD. Its 2011 but still plenty good enough today unless you do real heavy stuff.
    But the newer MacBook already has the memory soldered on and the SSD is some crazy sh1t proprietary thing that costs about a grand for a 500GB upgrade. Needless to say only half the ports the older one had, Ethernet? Ha...
    Same with the iPhones. The battery is the one thing that will degrade. So yes make it really hard to change. Memory cards? Why? You wouldn't buy our crazy price 128GB model then would you?

I don't get it. Why would you create good products and then ruin them with these shenanigans? You have good thing going. You make abetter product and people are willing to pay a little extra, you're making good money. Why the fvck do they think they need to push it over the brink for some more short time profit? It's idiocy.

What I currently have is going to be my last hurrays with Apple. I have an iPhone 6s that I keep changing the battery every year or so and the MacBooks are still fine. After that its bye bye Apple. When I need a stronger laptop its going to be some non Apple with Linux on it. I can probably get a non-apple with the same power for the half the price anyway and I have a much wider choice. Phones the same.

Apple are stupid.

traco wrote: »

Interesting alright!

I do use Google assistant as we've a Google Home, it's brilliant.

I'm deciding whether to stick with Apple or not too. I'll wait and see what Apple and Google comes out with later this year and see.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I’m always switching back and forth, currently using a iphone Max and will try the upcoming Note 10. To be honest though, all those extra android features i hardly use. I prefer quality over quantity. I also have a S10plus but i still prefer to use the Max. So far i think the max has the nicest screen , most colour accurate i have seen. When you view a photo on the screen it’s actually like viewing an actual photograph.

Ah, forgot about the Note 10! Looking forward to seeing this.

• Advertisement

Ok clearly a fan boy. Remember competition is always good mate and ability to have more features is never a bad thing. You genuinely seem upset at competition, kind of worrying to be honest why anyone would fanboy over one ecosystem or another....

I based everything above off my own use cases. My phone digitiser of a cheap android phone (90 euro) had got wet but screen still turned on and I was able to easily recover all data using mouse.

Here we go, you resort to calling me a fanboy because you actually can’t think of anything else to say. If everything is stored in the cloud you wouldn’t require a mouse in the back pocket incase your phone goes tits up. I use android everyday I’m actually a fanboy of both operating systems thanks. I work with iPhones and androids. Supporting both through Mdm as well as supporting hardware faults. We have a selection of the best phones from both operating systems but for example, in the company our infrastucture security team made a decision that we would enable USB ports for only iPhones and reason being is they are far safer. So you cannot plug an android into our machines it will only take the imei matched to the users account and the device has to be an iPhone but we have 100’s of androids on the field as well but they are blocked from the network once plugged into one of our machines.
    Now plenty of the guys high up in our technical teams use androids and that’s fine but they know the iPhones are more secure, it’s just a fact.
    The reason i prefer the iPhone is security because my whole life is in that phone. I do prefer the iPhone to the high end Samsung. I’ve had a Xiaomi and HTC as well. All decent phones but a lot of the features people give for the android being better don’t outweigh the fact the iPhone is a more secure device but each to their own I suppose.

Why would you be even considering a Note 10 if you don't even use half the features on a standard droid, it's a an excellent business tool, the people I know who have them use them for what there made for, doing presentation, writing notes, making sketches, doctors, builders, carpenters etc. For the ordinary man on the street it's complete overkill.
    As for screens there all running at 60hz which is bog slow when you get used to 120hz, iPhone, Samsung etc all feel really slow to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Been in Apple's ecosystem since iPhone 3. No intention to switch...yet. When/If it makes sense I will. Till then, I prefer Apple's security approach, less exposure to malware and more restrictive controls for apps interaction with the file system.

There's nothing an Andriod phone can do, that doesn't have a equivalent on iPhone for my use-cases. Same vice-versa. It's just a preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Apple man here true at heart since my Galaxy S4.
    The only thing I HATE about iPhones is the NFC restrictions. I do wonder has Apple any plans to lift these restrictions.
    NFC is a must now for public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

traco wrote: »
    Just finished my previous post and expressed the opposite comment, interesting how people perceive things

Ha, I think I'm going to have to retract my comment, as my mam is also using android phone the last few years and is happy out. She has an apple tablet, but has no desire to get apple phone.

So I think just from over the years, say the first few years of android, I've an incorrect view myself in a way,and that's as someone who uses android for the phone and loves it. As you're correct. I get no support calls about the phone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Tazium wrote: »
    There's nothing an Andriod phone can do, that doesn't have a equivalent on iPhone for my use-cases. Same vice-versa. It's just a preference.

Except multitasking :pac:

Here we go, you resort to calling me a fanboy because you actually can’t think of anything else to say. If everything is stored in the cloud you wouldn’t require a mouse in the back pocket incase your phone goes tits up. I use android everyday I’m actually a fanboy of both operating systems thanks. I work with iPhones and androids. Supporting both through Mdm as well as supporting hardware faults. We have a selection of the best phones from both operating systems but for example, in the company our infrastucture security team made a decision that we would enable USB ports for only iPhones and reason being is they are far safer. So you cannot plug an android into our machines it will only take the imei matched to the users account and the device has to be an iPhone but we have 100’s of androids on the field as well but they are blocked from the network once plugged into one of our machines.
    Now plenty of the guys high up in our technical teams use androids and that’s fine but they know the iPhones are more secure, it’s just a fact.
    The reason i prefer the iPhone is security because my whole life is in that phone. I do prefer the iPhone to the high end Samsung. I’ve had a Xiaomi and HTC as well. All decent phones but a lot of the features people give for the android being better don’t outweigh the fact the iPhone is a more secure device but each to their own I suppose.

Good that we agree :) but laughing at features is a stupid thing to do and I stand by that no matter what the feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Why would you be even considering a Note 10 if you don't even use half the features on a standard droid, it's a an excellent business tool, the people I know who have them use them for what there made for, doing presentation, writing notes, making sketches, doctors, builders, carpenters etc. For the ordinary man on the street it's complete overkill.
    As for screens there all running at 60hz which is bog slow when you get used to 120hz, iPhone, Samsung etc all feel really slow to use.

I love tech, i usually try out all flagships, so i’m not sure why you feel you need to question my purchases.When i’m done with playing with them i give them away to my family or GF.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Except multitasking :pac:

Lovely nick-name :)

Apple's version is called background app refresh and that works just fine. But as mentioned, for my use-cases there's no advantage over what I've already got.

• Advertisement

I love tech, i usually try out all flagships, so i’m not sure why you feel you need to question my purchases.When i’m done with playing with them i give them away to my family or GF.

It's just a lot money to spend on something you'll never use it's best features for. It's a work horse not a toy.

Advertisement