Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of ditching Apple

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Circuital wrote:
    Out of interest, what does she do with her Android phone now that she didn't with her iPhone? Just wondering what kind of freedom a presumably average person would have with Android.
    Multitasking. Apps that are not available on iPhone such as ringtone and notification tone ones for free. I've helped her get to know Android so there's probably loads of stuff that would feel normal to me which was restricted on iPhone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Kilboor wrote: »
    Android is still capable of flash support
    Cool! That awesome animated splash page I made for my website in 2004 will continue to blow people's minds! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Dades wrote: »
    Cool! That awesome animated splash page I made for my website in 2004 will continue to blow people's minds! :cool:

I follow a paleo internet culture only using outdated old internet tech. AOL ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Please stop with the "fanboy" nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

It's just a lot money to spend on something you'll never use it's best features for. It's a work horse not a toy.

It’s the screen size that attracted me to the Note 9 to try it out, and the pen actually came in handy for my work, i get sick of looking for a pen when i need to write details down in a hurry

I still got the max, as i said it’s the best screen i have seen to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Circuital wrote: »
    Yes I'm aware of all that, but what freedom's would your average joe use, presumable the persons girlfriend I initially replied to?

I don't know a single woman interested in flashing roms, using custom launchers or downloading torrents so I was wondering what freedoms your 'presumably average user' would enjoy...genuinely.

One thing you can do that you'd probably use is to download an app outside the play store, have pretty much any tv show available. Chromecast supported so you can cast it straight to your tv.

Paying extra for iOS, I don't see any pros iOS has over Pie.

Just to pick a few:

FaceTime - miles ahead of Skype or WhatsApp etc

Seemless device integration across tablet, phone, watch, laptop and desktop - android can’t even pretend to get close. This could be broken down into many points due to the many advantages and uses this has. Two everyday examples for me: I regularly make and take network calls on my iMac and MacBook. My Apple Watch unlocks my iMac and MacBook, when you get used to this it’s a massive chore entering a password especially when you are up and down from your desk a lot and it’s very secure.

Vastly superior facial recognition that can’t be fooled.

Far safer, pretty zero virus risk and apple would even unlock a phone for the NSA.

I won’t bother going into the vast array of other reasons it’s better but from look and layout to smoothness of operation and speed.

The IOS updates have virtually filled out the memory on my iPhone6. I’m sure I might manage it, or maybe not, with a factory reset or something, but I don’t want to be bothered with having to set it up all over again, have too much to do with my time like watching the kettle boil. I’m down to the most basic apps, it keeps offloading these due to lack of memory and I’m left with almost nothing. I do believe Apple keep making their stuff redundant by means of fiddling with automatic software downloads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

FaceTime - miles ahead of Skype or WhatsApp etc.

Google Duo is better than facetime and is available on many platforms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

The IOS updates have virtually filled out the memory on my iPhone6. I’m sure I might manage it, or maybe not, with a factory reset or something, but I don’t want to be bothered with having to set it up all over again, have too much to do with my time like watching the kettle boil. I’m down to the most basic apps, it keeps offloading these due to lack of memory and I’m left with almost nothing. I do believe Apple keep making their stuff redundant by means of fiddling with automatic software downloads.

What do you have storage does it have? Sound like you went for the 16gb?

Regardless. It’s not iOS updates that are filling up your storage. I’d wager it’s photos and videos you took, and photos and videos in message apps.

There are ways to manage this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

mad muffin wrote: »
    What do you have storage does it have? Sound like you went for the 16gb?

Regardless. It’s not iOS updates that are filling up your storage. I’d wager it’s photos and videos you took, and photos and videos in message apps.

There are ways to manage this.

Also, facebook and messenger app are massive drains on memory etc. Delete the apps and add them back, you don't lose any messages/history, but you do gain a lot of storage instantly.

Advertisement