Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shortlisting Criteria

Options
  • 06-04-2019 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi, if a person applies for Principal/Deputy Principal roles and not shortlisted... are the candidates entitled to the shortlisting criteria?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

I'd guess probably not. If you interviewed you'd be entitled to your marks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Approaching it from the perspective of someone shortlisting.

I would look at the essential and desirable criteria for the position and use this as the basis for the shortlisting.

If you met the essential criteria I would look at the desirable criteria.

Another thing to be aware of is that the shortlisting should be based on the CV and cover letter you submit. Is it clear how you met the essential criteria without the shortlister having to trawl through a number of posts you may have held, looking for stated evidence of meeting the criteria.

it is amazing how few people read the criteria and write their CV and coverl letter to indicitate how they meet the criteria. When applying for jobs I would write a paragraph on each criteria and explain how I meet each criteria.

As an example say there is something like budgeting, unless you specifically say for a role that you were involved in teh budgeting process and detail the level you were at your responsibility, that makes it easier. The shortlister should not assume if you were in a role that you were doing that aspect of it.

Another area that is soemetimes difficult to score is experience. If you are not definitive about start and end dates / % of a WTE / Duties covered etc.... You could lose out points there.

Sorry if this does not answer your questions, but when you get feedback hopefully the info above will be useful.

Equally if you have completed a research project as part of a postgrad quallification a short summary of your reseach if applicaple to the post should help you stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

https://www.tui.ie/further-education-plc-colleges-conditions-of-service-/plc-colleges-posts-of-responsibility-.2272.html

Not sure of your sector but there may be experience requirements for the post. it is important that you are clear that you have met these criteria. As they are based on WTE teaching, a clear calculation of how you meet the criteria could be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

deflated17 wrote: »
    Hi, if a person applies for Principal/Deputy Principal roles and not shortlisted... are the candidates entitled to the shortlisting criteria?
    Yes
    You are entitled to contact the Chair of the selection and commitee and request your score in each of the sections
    And the overall mark that needed to be reached for selection

The chair of the selection committee should have contacted you to let you know you were unsuccessful in advance of interview
    If they did this by email use email

You will not get feedback until the feedback for all candidates including those unsuccessful at interview is being given
    Usually the week after interviews

Advertisement