Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about Recruitment as an EU National

• 06-04-2019 1:13pm

A few basic questions which I've been mulling over. I'm going to be moving to Ireland as an EU National within the next couple of months and saw that AGS is opening up a new round of recruitment for trainees.

I seem to tick off all the minimums, barring the fact that I haven't gone through a Physical Assessment, but I'm under 30 and in good if not great shape.

Should I even consider putting in an application when I'm currently not living in Ireland? Theoretically I could travel for any of the interviews and tests as there's a regular flight to Dublin near where I live. The other thing that troubled me a bit was that I have a Bachelor's degree that equals a Level 8 and based on that and my High School degree, I should qualify as fluent in two languages, one of which is English. Would that degree have to go through any additional checks when it comes with an EU Diploma Certificate?

Sorry if my questions are a bit weird, but I felt like checking in here might be a better option than just blindly submitting an application that would fail.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Hot_Fuzz

A few basic questions which I've been mulling over. I'm going to be moving to Ireland as an EU National within the next couple of months and saw that AGS is opening up a new round of recruitment for trainees.

I seem to tick off all the minimums, barring the fact that I haven't gone through a Physical Assessment, but I'm under 30 and in good if not great shape.

Should I even consider putting in an application when I'm currently not living in Ireland? Theoretically I could travel for any of the interviews and tests as there's a regular flight to Dublin near where I live. The other thing that troubled me a bit was that I have a Bachelor's degree that equals a Level 8 and based on that and my High School degree, I should qualify as fluent in two languages, one of which is English. Would that degree have to go through any additional checks when it comes with an EU Diploma Certificate?

Sorry if my questions are a bit weird, but I felt like checking in here might be a better option than just blindly submitting an application that would fail.

There are a good few people not currently living in Ireland who are in previous campaigns so that shouldn’t be a problem as long as you are allowed to work in Ireland. Your degree should be easily recognized here even though you don’t need to have one technically but proof of 2 languages (in some form of certification) will be necessary or otherwise you’ll have additional testing. You don’t need to be in Ireland for stage 1 but from stage 2 onwards you’ll be required to show up to the PAS office in Dublin. The physical test is one of the last things you do anyway so you don’t need to have done one before as they’ll do it all in the Garda college! Hope this helps, good luck!

Hot_Fuzz wrote: »
    There are a good few people not currently living in Ireland who are in previous campaigns so that shouldn’t be a problem as long as you are allowed to work in Ireland. Your degree should be easily recognized here even though you don’t need to have one technically but proof of 2 languages (in some form of certification) will be necessary or otherwise you’ll have additional testing. You don’t need to be in Ireland for stage 1 but from stage 2 onwards you’ll be required to show up to the PAS office in Dublin. The physical test is one of the last things you do anyway so you don’t need to have done one before as they’ll do it all in the Garda college! Hope this helps, good luck!

Thanks for the info!

I was a bit worried whether I'd have to have some sort of checkup done before the due date at the end of April, hence why I asked about the physical. I've got a Bachelor's degree in English, accredited by the EU, so that should cover that, and a High School degree for my native language, which if it isn't enough I'll be more than able to prove that I'm capable of using.

Another thing I'm curious about is the vetting, if I get to that point, wouldn't it take a lot longer seeing as I'm an EU national and my relatives don't live in Ireland? Nobody with a criminal record or anything, just curious since I know the local administration here is, ahem, quite efficient at being inefficient.

I'll put in my application then, hopefully I can find some things to read and study up on for the stages, since I won't have the option of going to the prep classes I've seen other people mention.

Any advice you'd be willing to offer? Once again - thanks a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

As you’re outside the jurisdiction it will take longer to get the vetting sorted but not an unreasonable amount of time. I do preinterview preparation courses and one of the guys I helped through had a relative in Australia and vetting came through in good time. Feel free to private message if you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Hot_Fuzz

Thanks for the info!

I was a bit worried whether I'd have to have some sort of checkup done before the due date at the end of April, hence why I asked about the physical. I've got a Bachelor's degree in English, accredited by the EU, so that should cover that, and a High School degree for my native language, which if it isn't enough I'll be more than able to prove that I'm capable of using.

Another thing I'm curious about is the vetting, if I get to that point, wouldn't it take a lot longer seeing as I'm an EU national and my relatives don't live in Ireland? Nobody with a criminal record or anything, just curious since I know the local administration here is, ahem, quite efficient at being inefficient.

I'll put in my application then, hopefully I can find some things to read and study up on for the stages, since I won't have the option of going to the prep classes I've seen other people mention.

Any advice you'd be willing to offer? Once again - thanks a lot.

The vetting seems to be different for everyone. It took 4 months for me where it’s taken a few years for others so as you won’t have any local vetting for Ireland you’ll be excluded from that but yourself and your whole family up to aunts and uncles will be vetted so GNVB would contact your local vetting bureau and as you said that’s potentially a long delay depending on the country! The vetting is a long time away from now though as you have 4 stages to pass before it even matters. The better your scores in the first 3 stages the faster everything goes for you. You can still do the career services prep courses online which I did and will definitely vouch for, or like the post above you’ll see loads of people offering similar preparations also. Whatever level of fitness you’re at now, improve it and keep regular exercise.. it’s hard to get ready for fitness tests at short notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

Sounds like you are more than qualified with that Level 8 and the two languages from what you've said, you might be over-thinking it!! I wouldn't worry about meeting the requirements! Go ahead and apply! Would be lovely to have more people from other countries in :)!

The Bachelors in English will definitely cover the English, and just your actual ability which can be seen in your posts. And I assume your second language is your native countries language? if so then I doubt they'd even need to check your high-school diploma.

• Advertisement

Here is all the info and links you should need. Shout me if you want a hand with the interview preparation. I’ve helped a few and I’m cheap :)

https://www.publicjobs.ie/restapi/campaignAdverts/103085/booklet

Lmklad wrote: »
    Here is all the info and links you should need. Shout me if you want a hand with the interview preparation. I’ve helped a few and I’m cheap :)

This guy is a hero!!

F
    bottar1 wrote: »
    Lmklad wrote: »

This guy is a hero!!

Dude! Blushing!! lol. Two of the other lads are starting in April. I’ll connect ye if they are there when you go 😉

bottar1 wrote: »
    Sounds like you are more than qualified with that Level 8 and the two languages from what you've said, you might be over-thinking it!! I wouldn't worry about meeting the requirements! Go ahead and apply! Would be lovely to have more people from other countries in :)!

The Bachelors in English will definitely cover the English, and just your actual ability which can be seen in your posts. And I assume your second language is your native countries language? if so then I doubt they'd even need to check your high-school diploma.

That definitely takes a load off my mind, since I was a bit worried on whether it would be enough. Some countries still require bonus certification despite the EU Diploma thing. My other language is my native tongue, yes. I consider myself practically bilingual, been speaking English since I was a little kid (with an American accent, because movies and TV), but I can't legally be considered bilingual, since none of my parents have it as their native tongue. Expected as much about the diploma not being required, but it wouldn't hurt to have a copy on me, I'd wager.
    Hot_Fuzz wrote: »
    The vetting seems to be different for everyone. It took 4 months for me where it’s taken a few years for others so as you won’t have any local vetting for Ireland you’ll be excluded from that but yourself and your whole family up to aunts and uncles will be vetted so GNVB would contact your local vetting bureau and as you said that’s potentially a long delay depending on the country! The vetting is a long time away from now though as you have 4 stages to pass before it even matters. The better your scores in the first 3 stages the faster everything goes for you. You can still do the career services prep courses online which I did and will definitely vouch for, or like the post above you’ll see loads of people offering similar preparations also. Whatever level of fitness you’re at now, improve it and keep regular exercise.. it’s hard to get ready for fitness tests at short notice.

All of my close family members live in my country atm, although one used to live in another country in Western Europe. For myself - I know I've never done anything against the law, so I have no record whatsoever, hopefully the same is true of the rest of my family, but there's no way for me to ask or know, personal privacy and whatnot being a heavy-duty cultural thing over here when it comes to one's own history.

As far as fitness level, would you have some bonus advice for me?
    I'm somewhere between 188 and 190 centimeters tall (posture isn't perfect, haven't checked in a few years), almost 28 years old, and I currently weight around 77-78 kilograms, which means my BMI should be okay. I definitely don't have a six-pack or toned muscles, but I have been doing a few basic bodyweight exercises daily (20 push ups, 40 squats, 80 toe raises atm, slowly raising the numbers and looking to add more). One of the problems I expect is that I am a light smoker and even before that I didn't have amazing endurance - I'm great at running short distances, but not that good at longer ones. Once the weather gets better around my parts I will probably start the couch to 5k running system. I have gone to the gym regularly a few times in my life, but I've noticed that I tend to plateau relatively quick as far as upper body gains. I know for a fact that my wrists are a weakness, as I've never been able to lift more than 45-50 kilos without that leading to problems in the long run.

That definitely takes a load off my mind, since I was a bit worried on whether it would be enough. Some countries still require bonus certification despite the EU Diploma thing. My other language is my native tongue, yes. I consider myself practically bilingual, been speaking English since I was a little kid (with an American accent, because movies and TV), but I can't legally be considered bilingual, since none of my parents have it as their native tongue. Expected as much about the diploma not being required, but it wouldn't hurt to have a copy on me, I'd wager.

Well you can never have enough information, so copies of anything additional to prove any of the languages I would definitely have available. They may not be necessary, however.

As far as fitness level, would you have some bonus advice for me?
    I'm somewhere between 188 and 190 centimeters tall (posture isn't perfect, haven't checked in a few years), almost 28 years old, and I currently weight around 77-78 kilograms, which means my BMI should be okay. I definitely don't have a six-pack or toned muscles, but I have been doing a few basic bodyweight exercises daily (20 push ups, 40 squats, 80 toe raises atm, slowly raising the numbers and looking to add more). One of the problems I expect is that I am a light smoker and even before that I didn't have amazing endurance - I'm great at running short distances, but not that good at longer ones. Once the weather gets better around my parts I will probably start the couch to 5k running system. I have gone to the gym regularly a few times in my life, but I've noticed that I tend to plateau relatively quick as far as upper body gains. I know for a fact that my wrists are a weakness, as I've never been able to lift more than 45-50 kilos without that leading to problems in the long run.

I'm 181 CM, I am 74KG and I was fine, BMI well within healthy range. You don't seem overweight for your height.

Fitness was fine for me I passed in the 2018 campaign.

Some things I did to prepare;
    • I never ran before in my life and the bleep test you do need to practice for. I was running 5K 3+ times a week for the month or two before the test, and also practicing the test itself the week before the test.
    • Strength wise I didn't do much as I'm strong enough, most men won't struggle with the push-pull and the sit-ups and push-ups should be relatively easy if you are not too overweight, if they are difficult then just do sit-ups and push-ups every day you can before the tests.

The fitness test can be found here;
    https://www.garda.ie/en/Careers/Why-should-I-join-An-Garda-Siochana-/What-are-the-physical-requirements-.html

Video of the entire test;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXo3roYoCUw

• Advertisement
Advertisement