Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

New Home wrote: »
    One thing for sure: just to be on the safe side, I wouldn't add it to my soup. :p

What's the name of that weed with yellow flowers that people are supposed to remove from their land but that very few do? It's bad for cows, horses, etc. Ragweed or ragwort, or something like that. I think that's what it is.

It looks like ragwort to me as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Annoying me as I knew what this was but just plain forgot.

nTcA6zSl.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Any idea what these two are please?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Stheno wrote: »

The purple one look a bit like Larkspur, but lack the actual spur, so I don't think that's it. It's not delphinium, either. Hmmm.

EDIT: Harebell, maybe?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Here's a better one of the purple could it be tick clover?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I don't think so, the flowers don't look right.

Here's a better one of the purple could it be tick clover?

This one is Delphinum (actually, no, the leaves are wrong), but it looks different to the one growing through the rose. And I don't think it's tick clover, either (look at the leaves).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Not sure what the 'two' are.
    The blue one is campanula anyway.
    Do you mean the rose sucker aswell?

Not sure what the 'two' are.
    The blue one is campanula anyway.
    Do you mean the rose sucker aswell?

I meant to attach two photos the second one is up above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Roen wrote: »
    Annoying me as I knew what this was but just plain forgot.

nTcA6zSl.jpg
    Yellow buttercup; and pink one is Ragged Robin. Lovely wildflower and not too common.

And ragwort beside it. :)

New Home wrote: »
    This one is Delphinum (actually, no, the leaves are wrong).

Actually, it could be.

http://www.missouriplants.com/Bluealt/Delphinium_ajacis_page.html

(Scroll down)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The purple one is monkshood I think, usually blue, they can be purple.

The first pic looks like campanula.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Ah I see it now it's toadflax.

Thanks to Blaris for the ID previously in the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Yellow buttercup; and pink one is Ragged Robin. Lovely wildflower and not too common.

Cheers!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Any idea of what these are?

Ah I see it now it's toadflax.

Thanks to Blaris for the ID previously in the thread.

Toadflax is that a weed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

I think these are Lady gloves and I've just found out they are toxic all over.
    How much of a threat are they to pets - cats?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

auspicious wrote: »
    I think these are Lady gloves and I've just found out they are toxic all over.
    How much of a threat are they to pets - cats?

Yes, they are foxgloves, ladys fingers etc - and very nice ones too. I've had them around cats, dogs, sheep, cattle, hens, ducks, geese etc down the years and never had a problem. They are harmful if ingested and most animals steer well clear of them and other noxious/toxic plants.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Toadflax is that a weed?
    only if you don't want it.

lottpaul wrote: »
    Yes, they are foxgloves, ladys fingers etc - and very nice ones too. I've had them around cats, dogs, sheep, cattle, hens, ducks, geese etc down the years and never had a problem. They are harmful if ingested and most animals steer well clear of them and other noxious/toxic plants.

That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks a million. I was worried the cats may have a nibble on them for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you closely examined the contents of your garden you would find any number of plants that are toxic to some degree. Animals - especially cats - don't tend to eat things that are poisonous to them (unless the plants are hidden in hay or silage) and since cats roam anyway there is no point worrying about what might poison them.

Cheers looksee. In some articles I read, the words - potentially-deadly-if-swallowed were attributed to Foxgloves. Knowing there was a potential danger to the cats where they often hangout I thought I'd seek advice from you very knowledgeable peeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    No smell of celery from it , weed ?

Buachalán/ragwort

• Subscribers Posts: 689 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

20190626-233046-Large.jpg

I scarified 20 years worth of moss off a lawn and overseeded it... now in its place, weeds are doing their best to fill in the gaps, I never sprayed them before scarifying, I'm just going to remove what I can.

What is this reddish weed? Some sort of tree? It has popped up in 2 or 3 different spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicken George

Hello. Could one of my green fingered friends please I.D. these unusual plants for me please?
    I first seen them grown up in the Zoo a couple of months ago and was struck by their strange shape and beauty. I dont see many around but need to add them to my tropical style garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

Hello. Could one of my green fingered friends please I.D. these unusual plants for me please?
    I first seen them grown up in the Zoo a couple of months ago and was struck by their strange shape and beauty. I dont see many around but need to add them to my tropical style garden.

Is it a type of echium?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicken George

macraignil wrote: »
    Is it a type of echium?

Yes thank you so much. I hadnt a clue. Appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Can anybody tell us what this is. It is in my friends garden, but she has no idea what it is.

Thanks

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12ap3fiw3oMBzm1GwWM2wbAJXhrAfGuo1/view?usp=drivesdk

Advertisement