Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Hi.. Is this Japanese Knotweed??

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Hi.. Is this Japanese Knotweed??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

No. Buddleia, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭purplesnack

It's Clematis vitalba, Old Man's Beard, yes can be as vigorous as ivy

Thanks a million! I'd never seen it there before so was curious to know what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Be right back

Anyone know what this is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭macraignil

The big leaves might belong to hogweed but just from looking at the leaves I can't say for sure. I got a picture of some hogweed flowering in a ditch in my own garden at about 28seconds into this video.

This looks like Gunnera, Giant rhubarb, very invasive in high rainfall regions

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agreed it looks more like gunnera than hogweed - giant or common. Its hard to see the scale though. Full size gunnera has hairy stems I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Hi All,

2 questions:

What's the name of this please?

Can it be pruned/trimmed at any particular time of year, does it matter when?

Thanks.

Looks like Vibernum Davidii with added bindweed! Pruning is 'as needed', you could 'all over' trim it with shears, or you can carefully go down the stalks and trim them to bring the whole thing smaller, it will take hard pruning. You will not get flowers/berries in the following year if you prune. Looks like a splendid plant, what are you hoping to do with it?

• Advertisement

Thanks looksee. It's getting fairly big so will go with pruning route. I know you mention shears but in past would have used a hedge trimmer - would be hoping to do the same again.

looksee wrote: »
    Looks like Vibernum Davidii with added bindweed!
    Well spotted! The bindweed stuff breaks my heart and my back with the amount I spend getting rid of it. Even though I have a membrane below bark mulch it still gets though in spots:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ruddock25

Anyone know what this is

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ruddock25

Anyone know what this is

Could be a jasmine, the one with the little red flower?

Hm, t'internet says they are jasminium beesianum and the red ones are rare plants. But there are loads on sale and I have one going absolutely rampant in my recently acquired garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭standardg60

Ruddock25 wrote: »
    Anyone know what this is

Can only see one pic and it's of a leggy hebe

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

whats this growing up through the cracks of my paving?

weed7.jpg

fryup wrote: »
    whats this growing up through the cracks of my paving?

Some sort of liverwort. No harm unless you don't like the look of them, they could make the paving a bit slippery if they got too enthusiastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

thats strange, cause i sprayed the paving with roundup not so long ago..must be immune to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

fryup wrote: »
    thats strange, cause i sprayed the paving with roundup not so long ago..must be immune to it
    Not that I'd rely on Boris' Mouthpiece...
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/problem-solving/how-to-get-rid-of-liverwort/

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Cody OHare

I want to tackle this over the winter and need some advice.....
    By boundary wall is cement blocks with ornamental gaps (very 70's) in the blocks. So in some areas I get plants growing through from next door. The worst of these is where I have a pyracantha growing up along the wall. There is ivy all along the back of the Pyracantha. It is not possible to tell if it originated in my garden or in the neigbours. However it does push itself through the garden bed in front of the pyracantha.

This winter I will try to remove but ultimately I cannot get to the back wall due to the thorns. What should I do?

Nearly two years ago I sowed a few seeds in a pot using soil i dug up in my garden and this thing sprung up. It wasn't one of the seeds i planted and it didn't look like a weed so I potted it up by itself and it seems to be doing fine. Does anyone know what it could be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭standardg60

Nearly two years ago I sowed a few seeds in a pot using soil i dug up in my garden and this thing sprung up. It wasn't one of the seeds i planted and it didn't look like a weed so I potted it up by itself and it seems to be doing fine. Does anyone know what it could be?

Looks like a griselinia seedling, there's probably a proud parent plant nearby :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

Can someone tell me what this plant is? I was given a present of it a few years ago but my friend didnt even know what it is.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

yogibear77 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what this plant is? I was given a present of it a few years ago but my friend didnt even know what it is.

Mr Google says it's Haemanthus albiflos.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

New Home wrote: »

That's great, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

New Home wrote: »

I second that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭finla

Looks like an agapanthus. There's a lot of different varieties.

Advertisement