Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Trachelospermum/ Rynchospermum Jasminoides, I think.

https://www.gardenia.net/plant/trachelospermum-jasminoides-star-jasmine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭standardg60

Does anyone know the name of this please https://imgur.com/a/sj30E5b

I'm pretty certain it's a vinca, not too many white ones so probably 'gertrude jekyll'.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm pretty certain it's a vinca, not too many white ones so probably 'gertrude jekyll'.

Actually, looking at the leaves, I agree with this. Scrap my previous answer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭standardg60

New Home wrote: »
    Actually, looking at the leaves, I agree with this. Scrap my previous answer. :)

In fairness it wasn't a bad guess New Home, they're pretty similar! :-).

I blame the fact that I was looking at that pic on my phone, while tonight I was on my laptop. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

Flowering climber seen on holidays in the Canaries. Any ideas? I guessed Bouganvillea but was told it's definitely not.

Definitely not bouganvillea. Definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Flowering climber seen on holidays in the Canaries. Any ideas? I guessed Bouganvillea but was told it's definitely not.

Possibly a pink convolvulus?

But definitely not bougainvillea.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

Speedsie wrote: »
    Possibly a pink convolvulus?

But definitely not bougainvillea.

Yeah, the person who took the pic said it was just like a convolvulus. Stems and leaves don't look very convulvular though.

Is it possible that there are two plants intertwined? Some of the leaves I can see look like passiflora to me.

If that were the case, the flowers could be one of the many varieties of Morning Glory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Yeah, the person who took the pic said it was just like a convolvulus. Stems and leaves don't look very convulvular though.

From the pic I thought, like a poster above, that the were 2 plants, the main hedging plant, and a secondary one twining through, like a honeysuckle through a privet hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agreed the foliage looks like passiflora. I couldn't get any closer than convolvulous for the flowers, but they don't look quite right, there is usually a bit of petal effect or ridges, they look a bit smooth.

The flowers themselves look a tiny bit like hibiscus tree (minus the pistil/stamen).

https://www.palms-exotics.co.uk/thumbs/400x400/images/user/46-040215165608.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Anyone help with this please, first time seeing it flower, have a vague recollection of planting it several years ago.

I think its this https://futureforests.ie/products/salix-gracilistyla-mount-aso - pink pussy willow. Very pretty, think I will have to have one of those!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Anyone help with this please, first time seeing it flower, have a vague recollection of planting it several years ago.
    Maybe https://www.claireaustin-hardyplants.co.uk/products/sanguisorba-menziesii

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭pnecilcaser

hey I saw this on zero waste festival page - seed swap in trinity - free event!

https://www.zerowastefestival.ie/pop-up/zero-waste-pop-up-tcd-green-week-seed-swap/

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭messin doorman

Sorry to post in perhaps the wrong place. I have a q regarding plant identification and I am wondering whether a mod might please fix my account to allow me to upload three photos please, as I am a new user.

Just wondering if a moderator might be able to look into my request please.

Im a new user (need five posts to upload pictures/file).

Wondering if a mod might be in a position to waive that and allow me to post. If necessary, I'll make a few bland posts about champions league elsewhere, but maybe you can save everyone from the unnecessary! Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Find a few threads your interested in. Make a few comments. Boom sorted :) we're all eager to see this plant of yours

• Advertisement

Hi folks, am hoping for your help with a silly question. A while ago I put together a “bulb lasagne” – ie a large pot with various bulbs at various depths, with the idea being that they will bloom throughout most of the year.

Last year I think (but I am unsure) I purchased a packet of seeds. I am unsure what seeds I bought (or whether in fact I did buy and sow seeds), but they would have been flowers of some description, and probably have been a pereniel. ​

As you will see from these photos the pot is covered with foliage (sometimes turning red).​

I had no flowers on these plants last year (but I may sown them too late or they in fact not flower in the first year).​

Anyway, where I am now is as follows. I think the foliage along the bottom of the pot is a flower of some description, however given my doubt, I fear that there is an (outside) possibility that I didn’t sew seeds and that perhaps this is a weed of some description. Can anyone recognise these leaves and put my mind to rest that they are not weeds requiring removal?​

Apologies for the mortifying question!​

The hastate (you'll have to google that to see what I mean) leaves look like they might be Sheep's Sorrel, Rumex acetosella, a wildflower/weed

The hastate (you'll have to google that to see what I mean) leaves look like they might be Sheep's Sorrel, Rumex acetosella, a wildflower/weed

Thanks very much. May be sheep's sorrell now. Is it a weed so requiring removal? Or did i buy a packet of seeds of these? Would you leave it there?

You wouldn't have packets of these, but if you showed a wildflower mix, it could be from that, they can contain anything as filler. It's extremely persistent, whether to remove is up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

It's a very invasive weed. You need to remove it - and remove it, and remove it again. It will smother your flowers and bulbs. It just blew in or else was in the soil that you used when you planted them up in the first place.

lottpaul wrote: »
    It's a very invasive weed. You need to remove it - and remove it, and remove it again. It will smother your flowers and bulbs. It just blew in or else was in the soil that you used when you planted them up in the first place.

Thanks to the last few posters.

For the record I did sow wildflower there a year or two ago (cornflower) with the idea being that as soon as the spring and early summer bulbs die off I’d have some late summer colour (which worked really well).

So I went out this morning to try remove it and by gum it’s hard work. It’s like I’m just pulling the foliage now and the roots are so deep.

I may either continue to pull away at the foliage giving some flowers a chance to breakthrough (but I feel that the roots are so dense).

Otherwise I might cut my losses with “spring bulb lasagne” take out all bulbs, repot it. Maybe sow a dahlia or two and nerines (ie later flowering bulbs, which i still should/could be in time to plant).

Not sure precisely what to do.

See I do see a fritiliaria making its way through, so I’m tempted by option 1 so I might actually see him for the first time since I planted him a couple of years ago.

Thoughts and suggestions very very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I'd pull out what you can, repeatedly, for another few weeks and then when bulb flowering is over but before the foliage dies down you can turn out the pot, gently tease out the bulbs and then replant, perhaps in smaller pots which you can monitor more closely and maybe cover the earth with a very, very light covering of gravel or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Hi,

I inherited a few plants for my apartment and would really appreciate if someone could identify them so that I can go about looking after them properly as I don't want to over/under water them. I have zero clue about these matters unfortunately!

I think I need to transfer plant A in to a larger pot when the shops reopen anyway.

Thanks

I'm not great on houseplant names, but I work mostly on a basis of types for watering (and a good deal of forgetting to water, which mostly seems to work fine). However the first one is a very nice, but very commonly available 'palm' of some sort. Pretty tough, water once a week. That one does appear to be ready to transplant, but it has some nice young growth and I would tend to wait till the autumn to transplant it.

The second one I believe is called trailing bamboo, but I am not sure, it looks a bit like a succulent which would be different treatment, so maybe someone else will answer that.

The third one appears to be an aloe, very easy, don't overwater, it will stand quite happily in dryish compost. If you see the tips of the leaves tending to wrinkle a bit then give it a good drink, then leave it alone.

Nice selection of plants, enjoy!

• Advertisement

I think the first is a Kentia, the third looks like a variety of Aloe to me, too, and the second one is an IDontHaveACluesonia Major. :pac:

Google reverse image search confirms the first and the third, and the second too (not what I thought it was, what Looksee said! :D)

Advertisement