Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭finla

Looks like creeping buttercup to me, or possible meadow buttercup. The Creeping one is very invasive, spreads by rhizomes. I would dig it up wherever you see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭chooey

Ok great, thanks so much. Will dig it up as there’s lots there. Apart from mint and chives, would you have an idea on the other herbs? I’m finding it so difficult to distinguish between picture online

Ok great, thanks so much. Will dig it up as there’s lots there. Apart from mint and chives, would you have an idea on the other herbs? I’m finding it so difficult to distinguish between picture online

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

chooey wrote: »

The one with orangy stems is a type of euphorbia (a weed, too - be careful with the sap, it can burn).
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=508876&d=1586433753

I think the other one with small, furry leaves is some kind of bedding plant, I can see it in my head but I can't think of the name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Maybe you know already but be careful with mint, it can spread like mad. I usually plant it in a container

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I got a bunch of unknown bulbs last winter and the attached pic shows what is coming up. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,533 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I got a bunch of unknown bulbs last winter and the attached pic shows what is coming up. Any ideas?

Muscari?

Igotadose wrote: »
    Muscari?

Could be, but most Muscari is well in flower by now. Bluebell?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Bluebells or agapanthus, would be my guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭blackbox

Might be snowdrops. They can take a few years before they flower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Bluebells would be my thinking to. They should start to show up in the next few days if I'm right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I actually hope they are Agapanthus myself Bluebells are a bit boring unless there's a carpet of them.
    Time will tell hopefully. They'll be transplanted to somewhere more appropriate in the winter in any event.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what be this....

weed2.jpg

Jack-in-the-Pulpit

See these:
    New Home wrote: »
    It's poisonous, but we had dogs (and cats, and other animals) for years and they never went near it. It's known as Lords-and-Ladies, Jack-in-the-Pulpit, Arum Maculatum, etc. It does spread easily.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=981

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭standardg60

The second pic looks like mint to me..possibly peppermint.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭rothai

Moved into a new house. Gardening not a strong point and a couple of things are popping up and I don't think they should be there but what should I do to get rid of them?

Post pics and someone will tell you what they are. :)

Post pics and someone will tell you what they are. :)
    sorry I thought they were attached

rothai wrote: »
    and these

Still no attachment on this one, I'm afraid.

The tiny white ones are bedding plants (can't remember the name, if it springs to mind I'll post back); the long stalky ones are bulbs/rhizomes of some sort (could be daffs, agapanthus, gladioli, etc - would need to see the full plant); the individual one in the middle with the leaves in a cross formation is a weed and you can remove it,

• Advertisement

Still no attachment on this one, I'm afraid.

The tiny white ones are bedding plants (can't remember the name, if it springs to mind I'll post back); the long stalky ones are bulbs/rhizomes of some sort (could be daffs, agapanthus, gladioli, etc - would need to see the full plant); the individual one in the middle with the leaves in a cross formation is a weed and you can remove it,

The tiny little ones are spreading everywhere, they're covering the bark mulch.
    And these lads are spreading fast too

The ones on the reddish leaves are weeds. I'll tell you the name in a sec, I keep forgetting. The yellow flowered ones are weeds also (both quite invasive), there's a thread about both somewhere, let me fish them out.

The ones with yellow flowers look like Winter Heliotrope. The reddish-leaved ones are Willowherb.

This might help you.
    https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/crops/horticulture/vegetables/Illustrated_Guide_to_Horticultural_Weeds.pdf

Yellow flowered one is Lesser Celandine, smaller scale than Heliotrope. They are persistent, but a fairly nice wildflower.
    Broad leaved WillowherB is the one with somewhat glossy crossed leaves.

Thanks Blaris. :)

The yellow flowered one is celandine.

Got there before me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Last pic looks like willow herb. Definitely a weed. Spreads very easy.
    Edit.. New home got it :)

Wow thanks a million everyone. That willow herb is popping up every where. I've mostly been pulling them up but Holy god they're coming at a horrid speed now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how about this one.....

weed3.jpg

Advertisement