Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 cilantro54

I'm a bit lost on this one.. what is the plant to the right of the tulip?!

Is it sage?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

cilantro54 wrote: »

Is it sage?

Cheers

Did you taste it???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,552 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hard to tell from the photo, but it could be lamb's ear? is it very velvety?

hard to tell from the photo, but it could be lamb's ear? is it very velvety?

It is quite --but not very-- velvety.

Trying a higher res pic...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It could be a variety of sage... but then the scent of the leaves would be a dead give-away.

Could it be Salvia Apiana (White Sage)?

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    It could be a variety of sage... but then the scent of the leaves would be a dead give-away.

Could it be Salvia Apiana (White Sage)?

It's definitely fragrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Japandamo wrote: »
    Planted rosemary in my garden 2 years ago and it seemed happy enough until about 3 weeks ago when it started to look burnt.

Suspect it is because one of the cats have started peeing on it but don't know why they'd have started now.

Don't know if you can see it in this pic.

Does anyone have any other ideas? And if it is the cats how do I get them to stop?

I doubt it is the cats. Is it in a pot? Its not a very good pic but it could have just dried out, its been generally dry for a couple of weeks. Or indeed it could have drowned in the time before that when there was a lot of rain. Rosemary can be a bit temperamental and just up and die sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭finla

It is quite --but not very-- velvety.

Trying a higher res pic...

Looks like a digitalis ...seed blew in on the wind.

finla wrote: »
    Looks like a digitalis ...seed blew in on the wind.

Weird. The reason I posted it here is that my original thought was that it's a foxglove, but gardeners I know all said nope (based on the high res pic) and some suggested sage.

I'm confussed. But won't be eating it just in case!

Looks like there's a flower forming at the top.. will post again if it blooms. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'd think it is more like a Salvia than a foxglove, going by the white fluffy stem, not sure that its an edible herb though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

Can anyone identify this? It started off in flower beds & covers them like a carpet

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Very out of focus, but if you're talking about the small roundy leaves, it could bevlesser celandine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I’ve never seen these before. What are they?

Arum, not sure if Maculatum, Italicum or Somethingelsum. ;) - Jack-in-the-pulpit, among other names.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110167825&postcount=114

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

GinSoaked wrote: »
    No its a banana and thats what they often look like if they survive the winter.

Repot if you can go about an inch larger pot and it will start producing new leaves fairly soon.

Edit> Probably Muse Ensete "Maurelli" aka Red Abyssinian Banana aka Red Banana aka Ethiopian Banana. Thinking about it you can probably go a to a lot larger pot size and feed really well say weekly. Tomato fertiliser will probably do.

Thank you. Its nothing a pot and new leaves started growing at the weekend :)

Should I remove the dead ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

You don't have to remove the dead ones, I wouldn't remove too much if you do, just cut them off cleanly leaving a good bit of stalk and tidy up the stalk when it goes brown.

Keep an eye out for frosts worst thing that could happen to it now is for the frost to catch the new growth. Even a light nylon sheet thrown over it could be enough protection at this time of year, just don't forget to take it off in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭macraignil

bluestone wrote: »
    Can anyone identify this? It started off in flower beds & covers them like a carpet

Looks to me like liverwort with some grass growing through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭standardg60

Is it sage?

Cheers

Yep Sage

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

macraignil wrote: »
    Looks to me like liverwort with some grass growing through.

yes after looking that up, it is liverwort. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

New lawn put down last October, gave it 2 cuts in the last 2 weeks. Would Complete 4 in 1 Evergreen be good for the grass and weeds or should I leave it? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

New lawn put down last October, gave it 2 cuts in the last 2 weeks. Would Complete 4 in 1 Evergreen be good for the grass and weeds or should I leave it? Thanks

What weeds do you have and how bad an infestation?
    Do you have moss and how bad?
    A few good pics can tell a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭standardg60

It's normally not recommended to use a weed and feed in the first year of a new lawn.
    Regular mowing will usually eradicate most broad leafed weeds that germinate along with the grass.

Any ideas on this ?
    Click for bigger image.

Whats-App-Image-2020-04-21-at-11-40-23.jpg

Aliens.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Any ideas on this? It has popped up beside Anthymus that was planted last year. Not sure if more of the same or a weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Any ideas on this? It has popped up beside Anthymus that was planted last year. Not sure if more of the same or a weed.

barrac wrote: »

A beautifully well grown Creeping Buttercup.

barrac wrote: »

That is creeping buttercup. dig it up now or you be inundated. It's the bane of my life, along with willowherb and hairy bittercress and oxalis and whatever else is out there!!

finla wrote: »
    That is creeping buttercup. dig it up now or you be inundated. It's the bane of my life, along with willowherb and hairy bittercress and oxalis and whatever else is out there!!

At least you don't have Japanese Knotweed, Mare's tail or Ground Elder :D

• Advertisement

There's a bit of mare's tail but I managed to get rid of the JK. Had only a small bit at the gate, sprayed the bejaysus out of it for a couple of seasons and it seems to have done the trick. Fingers crossed.

Advertisement