Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Tabby McTat

finla wrote: »
    That is creeping buttercup. dig it up now or you be inundated. It's the bane of my life, along with willowherb and hairy bittercress and oxalis and whatever else is out there!!

Great stuff, thanks for the nod. I went to dig it up and found a load more hiding under my meadow rue. Hopefully that's the end of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Any ideas on this ?
    Click for bigger image.

Whats-App-Image-2020-04-21-at-11-40-23.jpg

A liverwort https://www.google.com/search?q=liverworts&oq=liverwort

GinSoaked wrote: »

Yes, Marchantia polymorpha, if you have lots of plants in pots or containers you will be familiar with this one.

Thanks!
    Mad looking yoke

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone know what going on with my Cactus?

cactus.jpg

• Advertisement

Have you over watered it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes this morning.....but you're not suppose to over-water cactus are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its probably over watering. Succulents can last for ages between watering - I have a tray of various ones similar to yours and it must be at least a month since I watered them and they are fine, I will probably do them over the next couple of days though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Any idea what this is?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭standardg60

Stheno wrote: »
    Any idea what this is?

Thanks

Willow i'd imagine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm on my phone so maybe I'm not seeing the pic properly, but that to me looks nothing like a willow.

New Home wrote: »
    I'm on my phone so maybe I'm not seeing the pic properly, but that to me looks nothing like a willow.

Looking for an excuse to buy a new phone :) ? I'd be 100% that it is a willow probably goat willow Salic caprea. Just because you can't see a Blue Ford Anglia stuck in the top of it doesn't mean its not a willow ;)

Nearest pic I can find on line https://mammothwillow.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=128 but thats of seedlings a little older than the the one posted.

Another link to a page showing a younger plant https://www.best4hedging.co.uk/goat-willow-plants-p110

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

:D I'll look at those when I'm on my (old, needs to be repaced soon) laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭rpg

Hi all,

My wife has tried to identify this plant/flower and her mother couldn’t assist either!

I said I’d put a pic online and see if anyone could help. It’s in Cabinteely Park.

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭macraignil

rpg wrote: »
    Hi all,

My wife has tried to identify this plant/flower and her mother couldn’t assist either!

I said I’d put a pic online and see if anyone could help. It’s in Cabinteely Park.

Many thanks!

Is it ceanothus(Californian lilac)?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭rpg

Thanks folks! That’s great, she’s delighted. Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

Love to know what this is.

Its blooms lovely. And its got a beautiful perfume.

Thanks in advance

Paeonia ludlowii, goes by several names but that one will find it https://www.kelways.co.uk/product/paeonia-ludlowii/59/

aks Paeonia lutea var. ludlowii

Always a bit scrappy looking but great flowers. Leave some of the seed pods to ripen and you can grow some more from seed.

Edit> Grown it in a few gardens and know some huge specimens but would never have noticed any perfume. Just looked up its near relative Paeonia delavayi in case that had perfume but no one makes any reference to perfume on that one.

The flowers on the specimen above do look to be larger than I'd expect so it may be a particularly good form?

OK SO MAY BE WRONG?

From the picture you can't tell if the flower is single or double. From the size of the unopened flower I suspect its a double so not Ludlowii. A google of yellow fragrant tree peony will give a host of different possibilities so best to check against an open flower.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Hi All,

Looking to find out what this is that keeps growing through a gravel surface in the garden. Thanks. Is it some type of weed or hedging? Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Looking to find out what this is that keeps growing through a gravel surface in the garden. Thanks. Is it some type of weed or hedging? Thanks

Hi All,

Can't give you an exact name but its a Vetch. Google for images of vetch and you'll find lots of similar pictures. Essentially its a weed but some forms of it are grown as animal in warmer climates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭macraignil

Can't give you an exact name but its a Vetch. Google for images of vetch and you'll find lots of similar pictures. Essentially its a weed but some forms of it are grown as animal in warmer climates.

Looks like vetch to me as well but I prefer to think of it as a wild flower since the bees seem to like it.

macraignil wrote: »
    Looks like vetch to me as well but I prefer to think of it as a wild flower since the bees seem to like it.

Thanks for the replies. What is the best way to control it? Dig it out? Does it multiply or is it a case it can regrow or come from dispersed seed? Thanks

macraignil wrote: »

I'm out in the country side and there is enough of it in the hedgerows for me to not worry about keeping it out of garden. Although its never a troublesome hard to get rid of weed.

whodafunk wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. What is the best way to control it? Dig it out? Does it multiply or is it a case it can regrow or come from dispersed seed? Thanks

Its really only a problem where there is a build up of seed and even then it seems to prefer poor soil. Its an annual (although I would swear it seems to overwinter in some places) so grows each year from seed. Can be quite deep rooted but digs out and normally you don't get it regrowing if you leave a bit of the root.

In paths and gravel Roundup will get rid of it quick enough.

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful replies:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

evening folks, there's two plants in the attached that i hope you can identify..
    They are in my father in laws garden and i'm hoping to dig out the one in the lower left of the photo (with the variegated leaves) and replant in our garden. Location in both cases is north facing. Its mature and is approx 6-7 foot tall.
    Our houses are 1km apart and i was planning on using a wheelbarrow to transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Castor oil plant and Aucuba I think

Advertisement