Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

tc20 wrote: »
    evening folks, there's two plants in the attached that i hope you can identify..
    They are in my father in laws garden and i'm hoping to dig out the one in the lower left of the photo (with the variegated leaves) and replant in our garden. Location in both cases is north facing. Its mature and is approx 6-7 foot tall.
    Our houses are 1km apart and i was planning on using a wheelbarrow to transport.

Grumpyme is spot on in identifying both of them but this would not be a good time to move any plant, much less one as tall and mature as that. Even if you got a big root ball - which might be difficult given how close they are to each other - a big plant would struggle hugely at this time of the year, no matter how well you water it etc. If you can at all you should wait until the autumn, September-November, and then make sure to stake it if it's in a windy spot.

If it's too big in it's current place you can cut it back and often there are little seedlings under the main plant which you could try and lift but again it would be best to wait if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

thanks folks for your helpful answers, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Paeonia ludlowii, goes by several names but that one will find it https://www.kelways.co.uk/product/paeonia-ludlowii/59/

aks Paeonia lutea var. ludlowii

Always a bit scrappy looking but great flowers. Leave some of the seed pods to ripen and you can grow some more from seed.

Edit> Grown it in a few gardens and know some huge specimens but would never have noticed any perfume. Just looked up its near relative Paeonia delavayi in case that had perfume but no one makes any reference to perfume on that one.

The flowers on the specimen above do look to be larger than I'd expect so it may be a particularly good form?

OK SO MAY BE WRONG?

From the picture you can't tell if the flower is single or double. From the size of the unopened flower I suspect its a double so not Ludlowii. A google of yellow fragrant tree peony will give a host of different possibilities so best to check against an open flower.

Thank you so much for this. On reflection, it doesn’t actually have a particular perfume. I think I may have imagined it because it’s the nicest bloom in our jungle of a garden. So I think you’re spot on with your guess!

Could I ask you two things?

Any advice, or can you guide me to a resource, on transplanting this flower. I want to put it in a large pot.

What does ‘leave seed pods to ripen’ mean? When/how do I plant the seeds?

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

karlitob wrote: »
    Thank you so much for this. On reflection, it doesn’t actually have a particular perfume. I think I may have imagined it because it’s the nicest bloom in our jungle of a garden. So I think you’re spot on with your guess!

Could I ask you two things?

Any advice, or can you guide me to a resource, on transplanting this flower. I want to put it in a large pot.

What does ‘leave seed pods to ripen’ mean? When/how do I plant the seeds?

Thanks again.

Not a plant I'd ever consider growing in a pot and peonies aren't very happy about being moved. If you are moving it to a pot from the open garden and have to move it, the autumn would be better and perhaps use a spade now to just cut around the roots (don't dig anything just push a spade down into the soil at just less than the size of pot you are going to put it in) and reduce the top growth. If its in a pot then just pot it on trying not to over pot it ideally go no bigger than an inch bigger pot all around so 12inch pot to 14 inch. I'd use a John Innes No3 type soil based compost.

The seeds are in pods bit like fat pea pods. When the seed is ripe the pods burst open and that is a great time to plant the seeds which often germinate very quickly. The seed pods and seeds are another interesting addition to the plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

Hi All ,

Hoping someone might know what plants these are , i suspect one of them (number 3) to be some form of Rhododendron but not sure .

Many Thanks

1. - Olearia haastii aka Daisy bush
    2. - Ribes Sanguineum aka Flowering currant
    3. - Euphorbia mellifera aka Honey spurge
    4. - Deutzia on the left

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

2. looks like Ribes Sanguineum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,552 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Not a plant I'd ever consider growing in a pot and peonies aren't very happy about being moved.
    GW had a piece a couple of weeks ago about a woman who grows amazing numbers of peonies, many of them in pots, IIRC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,552 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

3 is a euphorbia, can't remember the species now.

edit: what's listed as 3 in the list above shows up as 4 on the link itself, and vice versa; so i'm referring to the 3 on the post.

wow you guys are fast :D thanks so much

Think your spot with .2 New Home - Ribes Sanguineum

magicbastarder have corrected the numbering wasn't sure if it was a
    Euphorbia but then i found the Euphorbia mellifera which looks a candidate and has shiny leaves as well , originally had one of these at the bottom of the garden amazing smell in summer sadly it had to be removed for a shed and have wanted to replace it ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Can someone help ID these shrubs for me, please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The first is Weigela, the second I know but can't bring the name to mind.

Edit, Dogwood I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭standardg60

tc20 wrote: »
    evening folks, there's two plants in the attached that i hope you can identify..
    They are in my father in laws garden and i'm hoping to dig out the one in the lower left of the photo (with the variegated leaves) and replant in our garden. Location in both cases is north facing. Its mature and is approx 6-7 foot tall.
    Our houses are 1km apart and i was planning on using a wheelbarrow to transport.

I've never had any problems transplanting an aucuba at any time of year.
    Get plenty of rootball and cut back a bit if necessary for transportation but as long as it's very well watered it will be fine.

Trizo wrote: »
    Hi All ,

Hoping someone might know what plants these are , i suspect one of them (number 3) to be some form of Rhododendron but not sure .

Many Thanks

1 is Olearia haastii
    2 and 3 have been correctly identified
    4 On the left is deutzia (my favourite shrub Belvedere House in Mullingar has a fabulous collection). On the right is possibly a Parahebe.

1 is Olearia haastii
    2 and 3 have been correctly identified
    4 On the left is deutzia (my favourite shrub Belvedere House in Mullingar has a fabulous collection). On the right is possibly a Parahebe.

Many Thanks that's awesome , agree with you about the deutzia, has just finished flowering in the garden but puts on a great display at the start of spring together with the Viburnum. Have updated the original post with the names of the plants Identified for others to easily see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

What have I just cut down? :eek:

Clearing overgrowth by the side of a shed (future retirement home :) ) I didn't see that this was there until I'd cut it at ground level:

IMG-20200430-200056.jpg

I've never seen it before (been here 15 years) and it doesn't even register in my mind as an "oh, yeah, I know that from somewhere ..." (although the leaf pattern is vaguely familiar). It seems to be the one and only specimen on my land and that of the neighbours.

It had grown to a height of about 4 metres on a very slender stem, about 3cm diameter at the base, straight up with very few side branches in the first 2m (roughly where it began to catch the light).

The flowers (cream coloured clusters of four petals, four stamens) have a faint but distinct musky scent; the stem/leaves just smell of ordinary "woodland".
    IMG-20200430-200208.jpg

For comparison, here it is with elder and honeysuckle:

[Edit: unknown on the left, elder top right, honeysuckle bottom right]

IMG-20200430-195940.jpg

It's growing in deep shade, alongside self-sown hawthorn, holly, rhododendron, elder, honeysuckle, plum and a kind of willow (must get a proper i.d. on that some day too!)

Would really like to know what it is so as to be able to decide how much effort to put into trying to save it!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

In the last picture, the little branch on the bottom right looks a bit like honeysuckle. The larger branch above it looks like elderflower. The one on the left looks familiar to me as well, but I couldn't tell you why.

New Home wrote: »
    In the last picture, the little branch on the bottom right looks a bit like honeysuckle. The larger branch above it looks like elderflower.
    For comparison, here it is with elder and honeysuckle

:D

Hey, spot the idiot who doesn't read properly!! :D :rolleyes:

sorry...:o

I would hazard a guess Wild Clematis Clematis vitalba, something there makes me think it isn't but saying what it might be might spark off someone elses memory.

I would hazard a guess Wild Clematis Clematis vitalba, something there makes me think it isn't but saying what it might be might spark off someone elses memory.

I thought of that, too, but it seems to me that the flowers are too "thick", the stems too short, and the branches too "branchy" and not "winey" enough.

All technical terms, of course. :cool:

• Advertisement

I thought of that, too, but it seems to me that the flowers are too "thick", the stems too short, and the branches too "branchy" and not "winey" enough.

All technical terms, of course. :cool:

No twiney bits is what makes me think it isn't Clematis vitalba and the slightly eldery type leaves but the flowers do strike me as being very similar as is the leaf colour and some of the leaves look like vitabla.

No, it's definitely not a climber of any kind. The stem is self-supporting and unbelievably straight - like a bamboo cane, but without the rings. The bark is similar to elder, which is why I didn't think twice about cutting it at the time.

OK then how about a shrubby Clematis something like Clematis recta http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Erect%20Clematis.html

Too many petals?

For some reason, I'm picturing it with "shower" of black, tough fruits, much more numerous and tougher than elderberries, but in clusters, only less orderly than those.

Too many petals?

For some reason, I'm picturing it with "shower" of black, tough fruits, much more numerous and tougher than elderberries, but in clusters, only less orderly than those.

Looks like 4 to me correct for a member of the Buttercup family Ranunculaceae to which Clematis belongs.

OK then how about a shrubby Clematis something like Clematis recta http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Erect%20Clematis.html

I think its height rules against that. The RHS suggests a final height of 1.5m, whereas this is definitely 4m minimum.

Also, while the four petals match, the Clematis has a lot more stamens. This has a perfect "four stamens for four petals" (very similar in their pattern to the five-for-five on the elder).

I think the umbel was upright until I cut it, but can't be sure. I had noticed some "white" flowers behind the shed at the weekend and thought they were elder; unfortunately, it's too early (and "too late" now that I've cut it) to see what the fruit is/would have been. :(

Looks like 4 to me correct for a member of the Buttercup family Ranunculaceae to which Clematis belongs.

Sorry, I meant that the flowers in your link had 5 petals.

Viburnum for me..

Viburnum for me..

Hmmm ... Viburnum what? I've got three different Viburnums out the back and it's nothing like any of them. :(

Edit: Wiki says Viburnum flowers have five petals, which seems consistent with the images I've looked at. Are there 4-petal varieties?

• Advertisement

Not any Viburnum I know and I'd already looked at a few I don't know so well but still definitely in the right ball park.

Now I've another shot here I'm not too confident but it does have a few things going for it. Its common, would easily be over looked, grows quite tall, has small white flowers at about this time of year they have a fragrance and does look a little bit like the pictures. Evergreen Privet, Ligustrum japonicum.

Advertisement