Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Not any Viburnum I know and I'd already looked at a few I don't know so well but still definitely in the right ball park.

Now I've another shot here I'm not too confident but it does have a few things going for it. Its common, would easily be over looked, grows quite tall, has small white flowers at about this time of year they have a fragrance and does look a little bit like the pictures. Evergreen Privet, Ligustrum japonicum.

That's the one I was thinking about, with the clusters of black berries! ...but when I looked it up, the flowers looked wrong. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Its common, would easily be over looked, grows quite tall, has small white flowers at about this time of year they have a fragrance and does look a little bit like the pictures. Evergreen Privet, Ligustrum japonicum.

Ah, now that might be a possibility. I have one of those planted in a lost corner out the back, so rarely see it up close, but it has grown to about the same height. Never noticed it in flower before, but will have a look tomorrow. That might explain where it came from, as the rhododendrons can only have come from the same area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

New Home wrote: »
    That's the one I was thinking about, with the clusters of black berries! ...but when I looked it up, the flowers looked wrong. :/

I agree I think of Privet flowers to be in a candle shape and not in a flat umbel like the pics.

There really are very few white spring flowering shrubs.

It might be worth pointing out that my garden is in central France, so we'll have varieties of some shrubs here that are not necessarily the same as those that'd be common in Ireland.

In the meantime, following the "not Elder" line of enquiry brought me to red osier dogwood. Do all dogwoods grow in clumps?

not_elderflower2.jpg

It's not very obvious in my photos, but the new-growth stems are a very definite burgundy-red, fading to a sort of muddy greeny-brown older wood lower down.

Oh, and one correction: the stem isn't as straight as I suggested earlier. When I was shredding the rest of the clearings earlier, I pulled it out and realised that it's only dead straight to about 1.5m, then starts twisting and turning like elder or my Viburnum "snowball"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Advertisement

It might be worth pointing out that my garden is in central France, so we'll have varieties of some shrubs here that are not necessarily the same as those that'd be common in Ireland.

Well that throws a spanner into the works LOL :D

In that case I'll throw in Symplocos paniculata again only a little similar but perhaps there another Symplocos species that is nearer and I would definitely check out some of the shrubby honeysuckles.

The Symplocos paniculata flowers look a bit too "fluffy" ... :(

Well, that's probably enough for tonight: I'm starting to see creamy-white petal formations in my head every time I close my eyes now. :pac:

We could be getting there, think I might go with Cornus sanguinea. The flower petals are narrower with those nice flattish wide umbels.

Shrubs are found in moist, shaded ravines.

Well that'd be a pretty accurate description of where it is (or at least it was until yesterday - most of the shade is now in the shredder!)

Well that'd be a pretty accurate description of where it is (or at least it was until yesterday - most of the shade is now in the shredder!)

I think you got there 20(ish) mins before I did, in fairness. :)

I searched "shrubs with clusters of white flowers with four petals", that one was on the second or third row of pics... :o:D

BTW, this might help with the various varieties. https://landscapeplants.oregonstate.edu/plants/cornus-sericea

• Advertisement

I think you got there 20(ish) mins before I did, in fairness. :)

I searched "shrubs with clusters of white flowers with four petals", that one was on the second or third row of pics... :o:D

:D I'd tried several versions of that search unsuccessfully before I posted yesterday, and since!

I've now found this description which seems to confirm all points except that it refers to a "bad" smell whereas I don't think my flowers smell as stinky as Ribes sanguineum. :pac: I've just grabbed a leaf from the branch left outside the back door, and it matches the illustration perfectly, and the description of the effect of light on the stem colour also corresponds to what I've seen.

Hopefully, I've only accidentally coppiced it and not killed it, as it'd be a really good shrub for that location's new landscaping. I'll take some cuttings from the rest tomorrow as a back-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭CiaranTheGreat

Hi guys,

I’m not sure if this a weed or a plant. There are two of them in the garden which seem to be in spots which look like they may have been planted but again I don’t know. Any help as to what it is would be greatly appreciated.

Hi guys,

I’m not sure if this a weed or a plant. There are two of them in the garden which seem to be in spots which look like they may have been planted but again I don’t know. Any help as to what it is would be greatly appreciated.

If you don't get any help on this it might be because boards has gone to hell in a handcart. I can read your post but no way can I open your attachments all I eventually get is a black screen. Not your fault but if you want people to see you pics you'll need to post them on say imgur and post the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Bit of a guess as I am not great on a lot of the weeds but it might be a perennial sow thistle. I work on the basis of 'a weed is a plant I don't want just there' so I pull them out, but identifying them is more instinct than knowing names :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

looksee wrote: »
    Bit of a guess as I am not great on a lot of the weeds but it might be a perennial sow thistle. I work on the basis of 'a weed is a plant I don't want just there' so I pull them out, but identifying them is more instinct than knowing names :D

Like GinSoaked, I can't see the attachments (coming up blank).
    But a weed is just a plant in the wrong* place. My late father wouldn't appreciate a rose bush in a corn field, and regard it as a weed.

*Wrong to the gardener, for the plant/weed it's an ideal spot, which is why it's growing there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭macraignil

I have had the boards site taking a very long time to open the images as well but eventually got one to open. Every action I'm taking on boards in the last few days is taking way longer to complete than normal so not sure what has gone wrong with the site as the problem is not there with other websites.

The plant looks a bit different to a thistle to me and my suggestion would be maybe it is a young globe artichoke plant but it's really only a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭messin doorman

Anyone know this one by any chance?

Again, Boards acting up, can't see a thing.

Can't see any of the flowers face-on, but I'm pretty sure it's variegated Weigela

Can't see any of the flowers face-on, but I'm pretty sure it's variegated Weigela

Are you psychic :D

• Advertisement

In fits and starts!

(Like these now-you-see-it-now-you-don't images ... :rolleyes: )

Until normal service is resumed, as an alternative to imgur, images can be uploaded without creating an account to postimages.org, with an option to re-size the original to 800x600px which is the preferred image size for posting on boards.ie (and elsewhere). Copy and paste the "direct link" given immediately after upload into the Insert Image dialogue box.

This is messin's image (using the above mentioned postimages site):

weigela.jpg

And a bl00dy good one!

looksee wrote: »

I don’t think it’s a sow thistle thanks.

Speedsie wrote: »
    Like GinSoaked, I can't see the attachments (coming up blank).
    But a weed is just a plant in the wrong* place. My late father wouldn't appreciate a rose bush in a corn field, and regard it as a weed.

*Wrong to the gardener, for the plant/weed it's an ideal spot, which is why it's growing there!
    Ha I understand the plant in the wrong place philosophy but at the minute I’m struggling for space in the beds with loads left to plant on account of my plant hoarding ways so anything that can be ripped out is gone 😂
    macraignil wrote: »
    I have had the boards site taking a very long time to open the images as well but eventually got one to open. Every action I'm taking on boards in the last few days is taking way longer to complete than normal so not sure what has gone wrong with the site as the problem is not there with other websites.

The plant looks a bit different to a thistle to me and my suggestion would be maybe it is a young globe artichoke plant but it's really only a guess.

I don’t think it’s an artichoke the leaf shape and colour are different.

I have a vague recollection of buying some leucanthemum cultivars at some point over the last year but I’m not sure if I put them back in the shop.

I’ve re added the picture to a different site as suggested by another poster. I think I’ll pot them Up and see how they develop.

Thanks guys

03-C01723-8996-41-D6-B536-58-B491-F4-A73-D.jpg

54-BCD767-5-A13-4-C73-8-DF1-A126-B244368-E.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Hi Ciaran the Great, I don't think that's a leucanthemum myself or an artichoke.

There was a good idea to pot it up earlier in the thread, and it looks healthy enough! Perhaps give that a whirl, then you can reclaim the space!

I think I’ll pot them Up and see how they develop.
    Speedsie wrote: »
    There was a good idea to pot it up earlier in the thread, and it looks healthy enough! Perhaps give that a whirl, then you can reclaim the space!

I have a tractor-tyre "nursery bed" dedicated to that very purpose! :)

Hi guys,

I'm going to take a punt on another thistle, don't even know if it grows in this country (you are in Ireland :confused::D). It's the way its emerging from the ground that makes me think thistle or at least Cirsium.

So try Melancholy Thistle, Cirsium heterophyllum http://www.luontoportti.com/suomi/en/kukkakasvit/melancholy-thistle or even Cirsium helenioides http://starn.ownit.nu/cirhel.html

I'm going to take a punt on another thistle, don't even know if it grows in this country (you are in Ireland :confused::D). It's the way its emerging from the ground that makes me think thistle or at least Cirsium.

So try Melancholy Thistle, Cirsium heterophyllum http://www.luontoportti.com/suomi/en/kukkakasvit/melancholy-thistle or even Cirsium helenioides http://starn.ownit.nu/cirhel.html

Do you know what, I think you’re right. last year year I got a few different circium off a plant collector friend, I got the name’s from him and swore I would remember them but never wrote them down. Ill still pot them and I’ll keep my eye on them and try to ID them once they flower.

I think you have solved it.

Thank you so much

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Hi folks, any idea what this is??

weed4.jpg

• Advertisement

Hypericum and I've been meaning to check up which one as it grows wild here in the South Coast.

Edit - Probably Hypericum androsaemum https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypericum_androsaemum

Also http://www.wildflowersofireland.net/plant_detail.php?id_flower=294&wildflower=Tutsan

Advertisement