Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

This looks like Lesser Knotweed, Persicaria campanulata. Apparently still sold in nurseries, it is invasive in wetter western parts of Ireland. Difficult to remove, like all knotweeds, as it can regrow from fragments of root.

To be honest, Japanese Knotweed, while certainly invasive is nowhere near as much a monster as made out; we certainly have several much worse invasives, both aquatic and terrestrial in Ireland.

But if I had either of these two in my garden, I would be equally concerned, and would take the same action, stem pours of glyphosate until every bit is gone.

You have obviously never had to deal with Japanese Knotweed.

Its all down our river and even comes up on the beach where bits of root have washed up. After about 10 years I have it under control but it will be a few years yet before I can say its all gone.

But your right does look like Persicaria campanulata.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    You have obviously never had to deal with Japanese Knotweed.

Its all down our river and even comes up on the beach where bits of root have washed up. After about 10 years I have it under control but it will be a few years yet before I can say its all gone.

Oh I most certainly have! Yes takes persistence above all to eradicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭standardg60

There was a crop of JK beside my nearest bus-stop growing in a grass verge, usually attaining 6ft plus each year. Council must have sprayed it as I hadn't seen it for a couple of years, low and behold it's growing again this year!

There was a crop of JK beside my nearest bus-stop growing in a grass verge, usually attaining 6ft plus each year. Council must have sprayed it as I hadn't seen it for a couple of years, low and behold it's growing again this year!

I think we all know thats the big problem with JK. Not only does it easily propagate from bits of roots and more occasionally stem cuttings it has massive reserves of energy that don't diminish over years of sitting underground doing nothing.

I have a few areas near where I live under control including my own garden but under control are the key words. I haven't won the battle even after 15 years in some areas.

The annoying thing is the councils knew JK was a problem at least 10 years ago as I know one guy from the council that went on a course about invasive species back then. It was at least another 5 years before the council actually started taking measures against a weed that they themselves had been been spreading for years due to bad practice.

/Sorry rant over

I know the correct spraying regime for JK but after it has been really knocked back after spraying in Autumn I then spray whatever comes up whenever I see it up until the end of May. Then a final spray of whatever comes back in early September.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭standardg60

Am planning on spraying it myself when the restrictions lift..roll on the 18th!
    Lord knows when the council will notice it.

• Advertisement

Am planning on spraying it myself when the restrictions lift..roll on the 18th!
    Lord knows when the council will notice it.

I've already been out :) A local amenity area has gone from being a field of JK a few years back to 5 shoots coming up this year.

Own garden is down to 2 shoots so far and 3 in a neighbors holiday home garden.

What I do now is take a carrier bag out with me on a walk and put a 1 liter hand spray in it with a Roundup mix. Saves all the questions I used to get asked lugging a yellow 20l Coopler Pegler knapsack sprayer around.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

A type of willow on a local boreen. Friend could only give us the Irish name (started with S), it's not the same willow as we have around the yard, seems to grow differently and be more robust. Could we cut a few branches and get some starts off of it?

IMG-20200509-174824.jpg

IMG-20200509-174830.jpg

IMG-20200509-174842.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Another plant :) This seen on some cliffs alongside the ocean off Dingle Peninsula. It's not the 'sea primrose' that's everywhere there, interesting growth. Any ideas?
    Thanks

DSC05645.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

meadow vetchling?

Birds foot treefoil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The leaves are wrong for Birds Foot Trefoil, Meadow Vetchling seems more likely but still not convinced. Kidney Vetch has that fluffiness in the flowers, but leaves are not quite right either. I believe there is variation between the vetches though so it could be a hybrid? I am not sure about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Igotadose wrote: »
    Another plant :) This seen on some cliffs alongside the ocean off Dingle Peninsula. It's not the 'sea primrose' that's everywhere there, interesting growth. Any ideas?
    Thanks

Have a look at Kidney Vetch and see what you think.....

http://www.wildflowersofireland.net/plant_detail.php?id_flower=300#glos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭macraignil

A type of willow on a local boreen. Friend could only give us the Irish name (started with S), it's not the same willow as we have around the yard, seems to grow differently and be more robust. Could we cut a few branches and get some starts off of it?

Can't help with the name of the willow. I tried reading up about it before and some types can be difficult to differentiate with hybrids being common. I read they grow well from cuttings but I'd be inclined to take these in winter when there are no leaves on them. There is a nice yellow/orange stemmed type on the road I pass regularly and when I saw a branch had blown down a few months back I stopped and cut off some branches and stuck them in the ground. Most of them have started to grow.

Yeah I'd go with Kidney Vetch, leaves are wrong for Birds foot trefoil

RE: Willows, I've bought from these guys before waterwillows.com in the UK (not sure if they still sell via ebay but thats how I know them). Anyway reasonable prices for a massive range of willow cuttings for all purposes, including a lot of coloured varieties. I have 40 or more different ones in the garden but can't find my planting plan to know for sure which is which:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

I'm not convinced. The stems on that look thinner.

I've attached some more photos showing the stem growth.

Mind you most of the online photos are the flower stems. So it could be.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

https://i.postimg.cc/nVsJZthQ/IMG-20200509-174824.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/CxSXZyS7/IMG-20200509-174830.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/GmKNGMpC/IMG-20200509-174842.jpg

Was it "salley"? :)

Yes, you can, it grows very easily. Just cut off a few longish branches about a cm thick and stick them in the ground. Not all will take hold, but many will.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Will be delighted if anyone will identify this plant please?
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Clarabel wrote: »
    I'm not convinced. The stems on that look thinner.

I've attached some more photos showing the stem growth.

Mind you most of the online photos are the flower stems. So it could be.

Persicaria Lanigera, perhaps?

• Advertisement

Clarabel wrote: »

Well its the sort of hairiness of the leaves that has me in doubt but in the end thought must be a named variety of Persicaria campanulata (always a good excuse :D).

Thanks.

Could you please post a close-up photo of the leaves and stems? It might make it easier to identify. :)

New Home wrote: »

Keep going we've only got about another 129 Persicaria to go for according to Wikipedia :D

Getting there, one at the time, GinSoaked. :D

I'll leave them in and let them flower. They not showing signs of developing new plants but I'll keep an eye on them

Thanks.

Try Pittosporum Tenuifolium var something and I'll try and work out what the something is.

So first best guess after a bit of googling Pittosporum Bannow Bay https://www.newey.com/wp-content/uploads/Pittosporum-Bannow-Bay-1.pdf

New Home wrote: »
    Could you please post a close-up photo of the leaves and stems? It might make it easier to identify. :)

Thanks. Hope these help.

Try Pittosporum Tenuifolium var something and I'll try and work out what the something is.

So first best guess after a bit of googling Pittosporum Bannow Bay https://www.newey.com/wp-content/uploads/Pittosporum-Bannow-Bay-1.pdf
    I think you cracked it. Dark, thin stem matches. Thank you.

I think you cracked it. Dark, thin stem matches. Thank you.

I was only 99% sure on that one, 100% Pittosporum tenuifolium but unsure on the variety. Anyway researched a bit more and this link seems to seal it http://www.genesis-plantmarketing.co.uk/portfolio/pittosporum-tenuifolium/

• Advertisement

Amazing response.
    I’m delighted.
    Thank you.

Advertisement