Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭macraignil

Will be delighted if anyone will identify this plant please?
    Thanks.

Is it a variety of pseudowintera colorata (pepper tree)?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Oooh! A curved ball! :) macraignil vs. GinSoaked. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 diabhail

Moved to a new house with (POTENTIALLY) beautiful garden. I am not a gardener and have lots to learn and to do. Firstly there is an area in a landscaped rear garden. There are a lot of the closer plant in the planting area. I have no idea - is it a plant/flower or a weed?

Hmmmm…..my link to a photo does not seem to show? Attached a file - yay

Pk48hyfXE8Tk67v37

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

New Home wrote: »

I've no problem being wrong, it could easily be pseudowintera colorata. From the first set of pictures it was a pure guess but in the second lot of pictures I thought the twigs and leaf form looked very like Pittisporum? But there are alot of similarities between the two that make it a little tricky, both have alternate leaves both have forms with leaves that are rounded at the ends.

tbh I'm about 50/50 on it and wouldn't be betting a lot of money on one or the other.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

diabhail wrote: »
    Moved to a new house with (POTENTIALLY) beautiful garden. I am not a gardener and have lots to learn and to do. Firstly there is an area in a landscaped rear garden. There are a lot of the closer plant in the planting area. I have no idea - is it a plant/flower or a weed?

Hmmmm…..my link to a photo does not seem to show?
    Pk48hyfXE8Tk67v37

The smaller one with rounder leaves looks like a euphorbia; the taller one with long, thin leaves looks like a montbretia/crocosmia, but could easily be something else.

• Advertisement

The smaller one with rounder leaves looks like a euphorbia; the taller one with long, thin leaves looks like a montbretia/crocosmia, but could easily be something else.

:D Alchemilla mollis - both much loved and much hated. My wife loves it I love to kill off all the bl00dy seedlings it produces.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    I've no problem being wrong, it could easily be pseudowintera colorata. From the first set of pictures it was a pure guess but in the second lot of pictures I thought the twigs and leaf form looked very like Pittisporum? But there are alot of similarities between the two that make it a little tricky, both have alternate leaves both have forms with leaves that are rounded at the ends.

tbh I'm about 50/50 on it and wouldn't be betting a lot of money on one or the other.

I agree there are varieties of pittosporum that look like this as well. Not going to bet any money on this one myself either but I do have a pseudowinteria that I think looks more like the photos so making my guess based on that.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    :D Alchemilla mollis - both much loved and much hated. My wife loves it I love to kill off all the bl00dy seedlings it produces.

I'm not a fan myself. :) I bow to your wife's superior knowledge! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Thanks for the suggestions. It could be either, but Pittosporum rings a bell with me, rather than pseudowintera. I’ve no idea why though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭standardg60

Thanks for the suggestions. It could be either, but Pittosporum rings a bell with me, rather than pseudowintera. I’ve no idea why though.

No 50/50 here..Pseudowintera colorata.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'd opt for Pittosporum...

You could well be right. Owing to a convoluted coincidence that is too involved to go into here (and not very interesting) I was under the impression that was Pittosporum, and it looks as though my impression was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 diabhail

Thank you to the previous replies to help me identify the plants. Greatly appreciated.

I have many weeds in my flowerbeds, most are easily googleable, but I would like to find what weed this is - cant find it so far.

Thanks as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

willow herb I'd say. Self seeds like mad. But usually easy enough to pull up and keep on top of.

willow herb I'd say. Self seeds like mad. But usually easy enough to pull up and keep on top of.

Its one of that family but not the big one.

I'd have thought willowherb, too, tbh. Have you asked your wife, GinSoaked? :P :D

I'd have thought willowherb, too, tbh. Have you asked your wife, GinSoaked? :P :D

No she doesn't like them either but I've grown the white form of Rosebay Willow Herb which isn't a bad plant at the back of a really large herbaceous border.

Another handy weed reference for seedlings http://www.downgardenservices.org.uk/weedseedgs.htm

Since we're talking about willow(herb), is this a willow? It's been growing in a growbag for the past 10 years or so, so I'd say it's more like a bonsai.

512675.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭finla

That looks very like a hawthorn , but very small for 10 years old...

Oh, absolutely tiny, but it's been in that bag for over 10 years, I'm going to re-pot it soon. TBH, I'd exclude a hawthorn, neither the leaves nor the flowers match, from what I can see (there's a reasonably visible flower on bottom left of the picture) but thanks for the suggestion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd have said willow on first glance too, but the pic is small.

Here's a bigger one I've just taken, the leaves are more open than they were then.

512686.jpg

+1 for willow.

same here

diabhail wrote: »
    Thank you to the previous replies to help me identify the plants. Greatly appreciated.

I have many weeds in my flowerbeds, most are easily googleable, but I would like to find what weed this is - cant find it so far.

Thanks as always.

I wasn't sure you wanted both plants ID'd in your last post (the Alchemilla one).
    The grassy one behind it i'd be pretty certain is Hemerocallis.

NewHome - I would have said hawthorn at first glance of the first pic, but then I enlarged it a bit and it instantly ceased being hawthorn! I have no idea what it is though I do agree it looks a bit willow-ish.

Thanks folks, I thought it was willow because of the flowers, but it does look a bit odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Accidentally

Thanks folks, I thought it was willow because of the flowers, but it does look a bit odd.

Most likely grey willow, going by the leaf shape, but they hybridise easily.

Advertisement