Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks.

The leaves are very small, maybe the size of an olive, max, if even that, but I wasn't sure if it was due to the fact that it's constricted.

Any idea what this tree is?
    Its full of purple flowers at the moment and no leaves,
    Pics from google maps

3.jpg

And how it looks with leaves.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Thanks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'd have thought a flowering cherry, but the pics aren't the clearest, tbh. What shapes are the flowers?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Magnolia? Though I am not aware of any with purple flowers. Not really a good enough pic.

I dont think its magnolia,
    They almost look like small bunches of wisteria except they point upwards.

• Advertisement

Like a lilac? Are the flowers scented?

I'd say Paulownia tomentosa, Foxglove Tree

New Home wrote: »
    Like a lilac? Are the flowers scented?

I dont know I just drive past it !

That certainly looks like it,The leaves are the same.
    Now to find one for the garden !

Mr Middleton used to sell them (their seeds, that is).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Greenman Nurseries have Paulownia in stock, got 1 a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Ha! I was at Dundrum about a week ago and spotted this tree in flower, no leaf showing, just eye catching pinkish purple flowers. Meant to take a pic and query what it was but got distracted.
    I think I've the answer now without even asking.

Smashing service!;)

https://tinyurl.com/yculxsv6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Another couple for the brains trust

Geranium robertianum? It's a bit more pink/red than the camera suggests (it's crap at capturing true reds for some reason)

34Tbp.jpg

Something tree like that exists as a phalanx of shoots.

34Tbq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2shJZ8GKeZXx1HNw9

Ive been caring for this for a while now anyone know what it is? Im hoping some kind of veg but im starting to think its a weed.

Another couple for the brains trust

Geranium robertianum? It's a bit more pink/red than the camera suggests (it's crap at capturing true reds for some reason)

34Tbp.jpg

Something tree like that exists as a phalanx of shoots.

34Tbq.jpg

Yes, I'd say geranium for the first (not sure what kind exactly - is it "Barbie" pink?).

The second I'd say hydrangea.

iamtony wrote: »

Ive been caring for this for a while now anyone know what it is? Im hoping some kind of veg but im starting to think its a weed.

Rapeseed, I think.

Rapeseed, I think.

I definitely didnt plant rapeseed. Is that something that could be wild?

Yes, I'd say geranium for the first (not sure what kind exactly - is it "Barbie" pink?).

The second I'd say hydrangea.

The second is Viburnum opulus by the looks of it. I should have just right-clicked the image for a google search!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

The second one look like viburnum mariesii .

Yes Rape, or some very close Brassica relative. These can pop up as a weed anywhere.

Slight variation on the theme! :) We can be certain its a viburnum that's white in Spring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Can someone ID this shrub please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Holy Diver wrote: »
    Can someone ID this shrub please?

Weigela

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

"Wild" as in escaped from a farmer's field, yes. Definitely looks like rape(seed) to me. Individually, the plants are of little interest - you really need about a million of them packed together for it to start to look impressive! :pac: For confirmation, sniff it - it should have a very distinctive smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Shazam for plants..

Check out the PictureThis app

"Wild" as in escaped from a farmer's field, yes. Definitely looks like rape(seed) to me. Individually, the plants are of little interest - you really need about a million of them packed together for it to start to look impressive! :pac: For confirmation, sniff it - it should have a very distinctive smell.
    i looked up rape seed and the leaves at the end of this are different. The funny think is i grew it from seed hydroponically. I planted about 50 seeds each in their own little rockwool cube. Its all the tomato plants and the cabbages were all grown at the same time and transplanted to pots. I assumed it was the same as the cabbages when it was small.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭standardg60

Slight variation on the theme! :) We can be certain its a viburnum that's white in Spring

Are the leaves lobed? V. sargentii most likely if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

Throwing in black mustard ??

rje66 wrote: »
    Throwing in black mustard ??
    leaves at the bottom seem different from that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

leaves at the bottom seem different from that too.

How about these "collared greens", an American non-head forming brassica:

collard-greens.jpg
    The funny think is i grew it from seed hydroponically. I planted about 50 seeds each in their own little rockwool cube. Its all the tomato plants and the cabbages were all grown at the same time and transplanted to pots. I assumed it was the same as the cabbages when it was small.

It sounds like one stray seed got into the cabbage collection. The grower/seed merchant might have had other brassica varieties on site. Or it's a natural mutant!

• Advertisement

Advertisement