Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

New Home wrote: »
    I dont know it doesnt seem like any of those. It is growing in a greenhouse so maybe it takes a different form with the heat.
    Heres a zoom in on the leaves: https://photos.app.goo.gl/UrB6jxvyzy4adza78

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The one with the smaller leaves looks like a mountain ash (not sure which one). The other one, is it sycamore?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The second one could be a field maple. Though it could also be a sycamore. Either way it would be too big for an urban garden.

Thanks both.

They've been planted on a hill beside my house, loads of them at about 1-2 feet gaps planted on slopes with no supports. Kinda concerned in a few years they'll just completely shadow us.

• Advertisement

That distancing is a bit ridiculous. It does reflect natural Sycamore groves - the things grow like weeds and hundreds will pop up , but planted that close I imagine you would get more of a stunted thicket than decent trees. Presumably they are grown for firewood - there is demand for hardwood and sycamore is fast growing and a reasonably good burner. The rowan doesn't make a lot of sense, it will not be happy growing that close and is not either a particularly fast grower or decent firewood.

Edit - and they seem very big to be planting out at this time of year. Maybe you would get a more reliable answer in the Forestry forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

Viburnum opulus maybe??

looksee wrote: »
    That distancing is a bit ridiculous. It does reflect natural Sycamore groves - the things grow like weeds and hundreds will pop up , but planted that close I imagine you would get more of a stunted thicket than decent trees. Presumably they are grown for firewood - there is demand for hardwood and sycamore is fast growing and a reasonably good burner. The rowan doesn't make a lot of sense, it will not be happy growing that close and is not either a particularly fast grower or decent firewood.

Edit - and they seem very big to be planting out at this time of year. Maybe you would get a more reliable answer in the Forestry forum.

No they were planted ages ago, I just never got round to checking what they were.

When I say hill beside my house I mean part of the landscaping of my new development. They're decorative.

rje66 wrote: »
    Viburnum opulus maybe??

Oh I think I saw a few of those white flowers actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

I've never had any problems transplanting an aucuba at any time of year.
    Get plenty of rootball and cut back a bit if necessary for transportation but as long as it's very well watered it will be fine.

well folks, just to give you an update on this - I've replanted the Aucuba and it seems to be taking ok. Slight bit of droop on the new growth initially, but with plenty of watering it's looking good.
    I dug an oversized hole here first as I wasn't sure what kind of roots I'd be facing and I wanted to have sufficient room to transplant. I came upon a cavity block that must be in the ground over 30+ yrs so I had to get that out too, then dug up the plant the following day.

• Advertisement

If I were doing that job I would cut off all new growth immediately, take some of the stress off the plant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd water that every day, there's a little too much of the roots showing in the 'during' photo for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

tc20 wrote: »
    well folks, just to give you an update on this - I've replanted the Aucuba and it seems to be taking ok. Slight bit of droop on the new growth initially, but with plenty of watering it's looking good.
    I dug an oversized hole here first as I wasn't sure what kind of roots I'd be facing and I wanted to have sufficient room to transplant. I came upon a cavity block that must be in the ground over 30+ yrs so I had to get that out too, then dug up the plant the following day.
    Congrats; you've done very well but I'd agree with Looksee - you'd be better off reducing the amount of leaves. It's a fine healthy plant and as long as you keep it well watered its chances of surviving are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

Any idea here? Thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Accidentally

awec wrote: »
    Oh I think I saw a few of those white flowers actually.

As everyone said, the first one is a mountain ash/Rowan, which will have heads of tiny white flowers in spring followed by yellow to red berries in the autumn.

If the second one had white flowers, then you are in to viburnum territory. If no white flowers on this, then a close up of a flattened out leaf would help.

Viburnum and Rowan don't cast really heavy shade and should stay to a reasonable height, 10 to 20ft

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

christy c wrote: »

Almost looks like a cucumber or a watermelon!

New Home wrote: »
    Almost looks like a cucumber or a watermelon!

:) I think I shoved down a few bulbs around there but can't remember, so not sure if it was a weed or a flower. Definitely didn't sow any cucumbers!

Did any of the labels read "Audrey", by any chance? :eek:

Audrey-II-little-shop-of-horrors-6641481-382-302.jpg

christy c wrote: »

Were there any yellow dandelion flowers there a month or two back? If so it would be Coltsfoot, flowers before leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 diabhail

In another part of my garden there is what looks like a lovely area where there are rose bushes planted. In the middle of it a tree?, bush?.

I want to remove it - my wife thinks it looks nice - which it does, but not in the middle of a rose bed. However before cutting it down, I would like to ensure it was not a planned thing that just needs to be pruned down.

Its the light green leaves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

diabhail wrote: »
    In another part of my garden there is what looks like a lovely area where there are rose bushes planted. In the middle of it a tree?, bush?.

I want to remove it - my wife thinks it looks nice - which it does, but not in the middle of a rose bed. However before cutting it down, I would like to ensure it was not a planned thing that just needs to be pruned down.

Pittosporum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Reminds me of a pittosporum, though I'm not sure which variety. Could be a seedling and if left it will grow to be a large tree, not suited to a rose bed. You could just remove it or transplant it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

i'd water that every day, there's a little too much of the roots showing in the 'during' photo for my liking.

I'm giving it a good drink early morning & evening MB.
    Re the roots, I wasn't sure what I'd encounter when I was digging it up, that's the reason I exposed more than I should have (novice to moving/transplanting anything bigger than a potted plant) - I didn't want to go in gung-ho and hack through any major arteries so to speak.
    As mentioned by looksee and lottpaul, i'll trim off the new growth.

thanks again for your help folks

Were there any yellow dandelion flowers there a month or two back? If so it would be Coltsfoot, flowers before leaves.

Fairly sure there wasn't anything there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

awec wrote: »
    Thanks both.

They've been planted on a hill beside my house, loads of them at about 1-2 feet gaps planted on slopes with no supports. Kinda concerned in a few years they'll just completely shadow us.
    ive tons of trees on my property, when they create too much shade a quick zip of a chain saw and free firewood, easiest 'problem' in a garden to rectify.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭standardg60

dePeatrick wrote: »
    ive tons of trees on my property, when they create too much shade a quick zip of a chain saw and free firewood, easiest 'problem' in a garden to rectify.

They're not on his property.

They are Rowan and field Maple, probably planted as part of the planning to create natural copses and they will tend to be restricted by their proximity to each other.
    Still without a lot of forethought though and look akin to motorway planting.

My first thought too

Definitely Pittosporum this time!
    There might be a parent plant nearby, they can seed around, or was possibly in the pot of one of the roses. Just chop it out.

Another couple for the brains trust

Geranium robertianum? It's a bit more pink/red than the camera suggests (it's crap at capturing true reds for some reason)

34Tbp.jpg

Something tree like that exists as a phalanx of shoots.

34Tbq.jpg

That may well be Geranium palmatum, i've only ever come across it once growing here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Any ideas what this is?
    I dug out of veg patch a few years back when only an couple of inches tall and said I’d pot it and see where it went

Advertisement