Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Chrysanthemum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭messin doorman

Anyone know this lovely yellow plant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Wallflower

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Is this red thread - huge patches of my lawn appear to be infested by it?

Any suggestions as to treatment?

https://imgur.com/m6F0DI3

Thanks

• Advertisement

RonanC wrote: »
    Is this red thread - huge patches of my lawn appear to be infested by it?

Any suggestions as to treatment?

https://imgur.com/m6F0DI3

Thanks

Take a really close look at those patches then see if its anything like Red Thread https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=268

Good picture here https://www.thespruce.com/dying-patches-lawn-with-reddish-fibers-2152748

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

What's this?

What's the best way to prepare seeds from it... When + how?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no pic attached?

Any thoughts?

What's the best way to propagate seeds from it... When + how?

513604.jpg

Honestly?

Honesty - Lunaria annua.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It's what my Granny used to call a money plant (yes, Honesty is right). The "leaves" with those dots will dry and turn papery, that's where the seeds are. IIRC, the seeds just grew where they had fallen.

New Home wrote: »
    It's what my Granny used to call a money plant. The "leaves" with those dots will dry and turn papery, that's where the seeds are. IIRC, the seeds just grew where they had fallen.

Ahhh now I remember . money plant... Thanks

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Honestly?

Honesty - Lunaria annua.

Cheers

Honesty is a biannual so don't go saving the seeds, let them fall and grow into new plants to produce flower next year. In other words don't save the seed to plant next year or you'll end up missing out on a year of flowering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

I’m sure this is an easy one for people. I hate this tree - always have. Any idea what’s it called and is the wood worthwhile to keep when I fell it.

Thanks all.

All I can say is it probably comes from Australia or perhaps New Zealand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Cypress tree. Technically a soft wood but a harder one if that makes any sense.

A cypress? Doesn't look like one to me, to be honest... then again, I can't see the picture properly and it's upside down, too, for me...

A cypress? Doesn't look like one to me, to be honest... then again, I can't see the picture properly and it's upside down, too, for me...

Actually you might be right. Cedar. Could be more like it. Check if it has small pea like seed pods

Thank you both. Will try and get a better picture.

Had a good of cypress trees. It looks like it but I’m not sure it is.

• Advertisement

Now, cedar sounds more like it... It's a shame the op doesn't like it, I think it's a stunning specimen, myself.

I'd be inclined to agree. But it could be blocking light.

I'd be inclined to agree. But it could be blocking light.

I feel a little bad that I don’t like it but I just don’t like them. I’ve seen them in large forests or aboretums and they’re not so bad - probably in the right setting they might be nice.

Looking to fell soon. And wondering if I should bother keeping the wood. I’ve read that it might be worthwhile as a fire starter but not much heat. Might be good for outside fire pit.

Cedar wood (Lebanon cedar, I think, I'm not sure which kind this is), is great to keep moths away from wardrobes and has a gorgeous grain.

Maybe ask someone in here?

Also, please, PLEASE, PLEASE wait a few more months, at least until September - it's nesting season now, please don't chop it just yet, such a mature tree could have dozens of nests in it.

Definitely nothing as nice as a cedar. Some type of cypress. Cedars have needles and that looks to have scale like leaves. A leaf close up should identify it for sure but I was never any good on individual cypress tree species.

If you crush the foliage is there any distinct smell? You can identify Thuja plicata for example by its dried pinapple smell Tsuga heterophylla by its dry sort of bitter smell and Tsuga canadensis by a strong smell of lemons.

Ah, ok, that type of cypress. I always think of these, when I see the word cypress.

Still could be that type there are also a few others thats why you need to look hard at the leaf scales unless there is some give away like a strong smell from the crushed foliage.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

Hi all ,

Have been wanting to grow comfrey in the garden and by luck i think there is some already growing , maybe someone can confirm if the belolw pictures are indeed comfrey ?

pic 1
    pic 2

If so would it be possible to tell if its the bocking 14 type or just wild/common comfrey ? or will i just have to wait and see if it spreads eveywhere :D

Having cleared some of the garden recently it became more visible , it does have the pink/purple flowers also

Many Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭standardg60

karlitob wrote: »
    I’m sure this is an easy one for people. I hate this tree - always have. Any idea what’s it called and is the wood worthwhile to keep when I fell it.

Thanks all.

Some form of Lawson Cypress..Chamaecyparis lawsoniana.

Btw Cupressus is 'cypress'
    Chamaecyparis is literally 'false cypress'.

Hope that clears it up :-).

Advertisement