Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

GinSoaked wrote: »
    If you crush the foliage is there any distinct smell? You can identify Thuja plicata for example by its dried pinapple smell Tsuga heterophylla by its dry sort of bitter smell and Tsuga canadensis by a strong smell of lemons.

Haha you’re right! A fantastic smell of citrus - and I’m leaning to lemons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

Some form of Lawson Cypress..Chamaecyparis lawsoniana.

Btw Cupressus is 'cypress'
    Chamaecyparis is literally 'false cypress'.

Hope that clears it up :-).

I think you might be the winner!
    All suggestions look quite alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭standardg60

lawsoniana 'glauca' i'd imagine.

You could just trim it if it's taking up too much space, they respond well to trimming as long as you don't trim them back too far.
    Ie. always leave healthy green/blue growth on each branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Gemancy

Hi all. Just wondering if anybody can identify this weed? I think it might be some kind of fern. We set up 2 veg beds by building frames, laying down cardboard to smother weeds and filling with compost (no dig method).

All was going great until I spotted these interlopers among the onions and turnips!!!

Any advice?
    Thanks, G

Gemancy wrote: »
    Hi all. Just wondering if anybody can identify this weed? I think it might be some kind of fern. We set up 2 veg beds by building frames, laying down cardboard to smother weeds and filling with compost (no dig method).

All was going great until I spotted these interlopers among the onions and turnips!!!

Any advice?
    Thanks, G

Yes, looks like Bracken. Has thick rhizomes like electrical flex, up 2 feet below ground. You will need to get rid as soon as you can.

• Advertisement

Yes, looks like Bracken. Has thick rhizomes like electrical flex, up 2 feet below ground. You will need to get rid as soon as you can.

Thanks a mill, any suggestions for best method?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Gemancy wrote: »
    Thanks a mill, any suggestions for best method?

Just snap the stems as the plants come up. Then when the beds are empty dig dig and take out any roots you find, they will be fairly obvious. However they could be coming up from a long way down below the original soil level.

Just snap the stems as the plants come up. Then when the beds are empty dig dig and take out any roots you find, they will be fairly obvious. However they could be coming up from a long way down below the original soil level.

Thanks for the reply. Il keep doing that, it's a kind of creepy weed if that doesn't make me sound too insane!! The roots are what im worried about. We just laid a concrete base for a polytunnel about 6 ft away from the bed, I'm worried in will invade that now too. If I laid polythene on it for a few months and delay planting till next year would you think that would be enough to kill it off?

You can get rid of bracken just by knocking it over as soon as you see it. Its no big deal if you get it as soon as it emerges. It will be a couple of years maybe more before you see the back of it but then new shoots are so easy to damage that its not worth doing anything else.

Its a real pain but won't lift flags or damage footings unless you have masses of roots underneath. If it was on site then you would have noticed it before if not you probably brought in a small amount with new topsoil.

Trizo wrote: »
    Hi all ,

Have been wanting to grow comfrey in the garden and by luck i think there is some already growing , maybe someone can confirm if the belolw pictures are indeed comfrey ?

pic 1
    pic 2

If so would it be possible to tell if its the bocking 14 type or just wild/common comfrey ? or will i just have to wait and see if it spreads eveywhere :D

Having cleared some of the garden recently it became more visible , it does have the pink/purple flowers also

Many Thanks

It is Comfrey alright. I couldn't tell you if its Common or Russian from the pic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Can someone ID this perennial?

Its woody main stem broke in the storm so I want to see if it can be salvaged by taking cuttings or something.

Its a Euphorbia

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

I agree. Common name is spurge. I have one in my garden that is very similar. Be careful with the sap from inside the stem. It can cause quite a good deal of irritation to your skin if it comes into contact with it.

I was being a bit vague when I said it was a Euphorbia because there are quite a few with purple leaves like that. I think it may be a purple form of Euphorbia amygdaloides

I was being a bit vague when I said it was a Euphorbia because there are quite a few with purple leaves like that. I think it may be a purple form of Euphorbia amygdaloides

It’s worth a shot taking some cuttings I suppose

Holy Diver wrote: »

Hard to get rid of they normally produce a lot of seed (about now) and they often spread around.

Seedling ID please

I picked it from between patio slabs a few weeks back as it looked unusual...

Seedling ID please

I picked it from between patio slabs a few weeks back as it looked unusual...

Beech, purpling is probably just nutrient deficit (phosphorus )/ general stress.

Beech, purpling is probably just nutrient deficit (phosphorus )/ general stress.

You never know could be a new form, Fagus Sylvatica "Holy Diver"

And here’s me thinking I was treating it with love and attention!!

• Advertisement

Or maybe it's just a purple beech!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

They put up shoots around the parent plant and can be quite invasive, don't know if it grows from cuttings.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Anyone narrow this down from just "Iris" nice variegated leaves but somewhat generic flower

20200524-142929.jpg

Iris pallida 'argentea variegata' most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bm 83

Can anyone identify this weed and how best to get rid of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

bm 83 wrote: »
    Can anyone identify this weed and how best to get rid of it?

This is Black Medick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Out of focus but should be easy for someone to ID.

35cNc.jpg

Out of focus but should be easy for someone to ID.

35cNc.jpg

Honeysuckle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

Possibly Woodbine/common honeysuckle? I actually have something looking remarkably similar in my back garden, about 1 metre from a mature honeysuckle plant so I suspect it came from there. Could well be wrong though but someone here will know!

Do you or a neighbour have any honeysuckle plants?

Advertisement