Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

Clarabel wrote: »
    If it quacks like a duck but walks like a goose...what is it?

This looks like nettle, that's just over a week's growth. But no stings. Is it nettle?

Lamium/Dead-nettle for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Geum urbanum, Wood Avens - wildflower

So safe enough to plant in wildflower area. Not gonna turn invasive?

I've pot plant it to see what happens with the seed head.

I've had other non invasive buttercup come up (no creepers on well established plant) but these leaves look different

It prefers some shade, usually grows well, I wouldn't say invasive, and very easy just to pull out if you want rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Any thoughts on this one?

Quite a woody stem, so likely to be hardy ( to my mind anyway) variegated leaves quite attractive in their own way. Anyways potted up a cutting to see what grows but if we can name it before it becomes a day of the Triffids issue would be nice
    20200604-194536.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭standardg60

Clarabel wrote: »
    If it quacks like a duck but walks like a goose...what is it?

This looks like nettle, that's just over a week's growth. But no stings. Is it nettle?

Everything about that says nettle to me.
    Growth may still be a bit young to carry a sting.

• Advertisement

Spook_ie wrote: »

Quite a woody stem, so likely to be hardy ( to my mind anyway) variegated leaves quite attractive in their own way. Anyways potted up a cutting to see what grows but if we can name it before it becomes a day of the Triffids issue would be nice
    20200604-194536.jpg

I'll start the ball rolling with Birch.
    Can you take a pic of the woody stem?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'd exclude birch altogether, personally.

New Home wrote: »
    I'd exclude birch altogether, personally.

Be it on your own head New Home :-)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

But that would be sore, especially with the flowerpot!

But that would be sore, especially with the flowerpot!

Ha, good comeback!

Viruses (which this plant is afflicted with) can do strange things as we all know.

• Advertisement

I thought it was just a lack of minerals... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

I thought it was just a lack of minerals... :o

I've seen better looking seedlings that I've given a dose of Roundup :D

GinSoaked wrote: »
    I've seen better looking seedlings that I've given a dose of Roundup :D

Murderer!!!

Murderer!!!

No serial killer :pac:

That's even worse... :(

Spook_ie wrote: »

20200604-194536.jpg

Could it be a Sorbus? Maybe Swedish Whitebeam, it does look unwell though.

My thoughts exactly but I've seen tens of thousands of birch seedlings but I'm not sure I've ever seen any Sorbus x intermedia seedlings.

You might be on to something. This is it, in its autumnal colours (according to the internet): the leaves have a very similar pattern to that of the leaf at 9 o'clock.

frf2wTgqVHadd6e8mpx8dzWjIrTC5PYRbJ5D6YSu.jpeg

The only thing is that the sapling here seems to have leaves with pointier "tips".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I'll bear these thoughts in mind, unwell perhaps, it was just randomly growing in a weed patch that I dug up. I've given it a dose of rooting gel and potted it up so we'll see what grows ( or not )

Give it some fertiliser, too, please. :)

Any chance that you could post a picture of the stem, please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭grinder23

Any idea of this

Sedum?

Yes, Sedum telephium, Orpine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

any ideas what type of tree this is
    amazing purple and green leaves and flowers are bright yellow
    also is evergreen

IMG-0238-EFFECTS.jpg
    IMG-0239.jpg

The leaves resemble those of a mimosa pudica or even an acacia dealbata, but I've never seen them that colour. Gorgeous, whatever it is.

Mimosa of some sort, looks a little bit like a Chocolate Mimosa Tree, but that has pink flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Excellent thanks
    Its an amazing tree and yellow flowers/balls are stunning in spring. I wonder if it would grown in my garden (a bit windy so I am not sure if it would last)
    Seems to be an Australian species tree but this one is thriving a few miles out the road from me in the local Tennis Club - however that is much more sheltered than my garden!

I'm not too familiar with that tree, I do know from personal experience, though, that acacia dealbata is NOT all that hardy at all, if you don't protect it very well from the frost and keep it nice and snug it will die on you. Many years ago I had a very large one that was growing in a huge pot in a very sunny, sheltered corner between the house and the granny flat, it grew very tall (it was up to the roof of a 2-storey house!!) and we couldn't find a fleece big enough to protect it (or a way of actually getting that high up to cover it with the fleece), and it didn't last the winter. I was really sorry to see it go. This could be different, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭macraignil

Excellent thanks
    Its an amazing tree and yellow flowers/balls are stunning in spring. I wonder if it would grown in my garden (a bit windy so I am not sure if it would last)
    Seems to be an Australian species tree but this one is thriving a few miles out the road from me in the local Tennis Club - however that is much more sheltered than my garden!

I tried to get an Acacia baileyana growing in the garden here in north Cork. Planted it out last autumn and it stayed green up until about February when it suddenly went brown and dead. It was a young enough sapling that I got for 2 or 4 euro at a plant market meeting in Kildare but still a bit disappointed it failed to settle. Might have been a bit too exposed to the east side of where I planted it.

Advertisement