Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

macraignil wrote: »
    I tried to get an Acacia baileyana growing in the garden here in north Cork. Planted it out last autumn and it stayed green up until about February when it suddenly went brown and dead. It was a young enough sapling that I got for 2 or 4 euro at a plant market meeting in Kildare but still a bit disappointed it failed to settle. Might have been a bit too exposed to the east side of where I planted it.

Don't know what it was like this winter in North Cork but in West Waterford we had one of the mildest winters I can remember in 25 years here. I only just commented this morning to my wife that our Solanum laciniatum (kangaroo apple) had survived outside. So if that can make it through and Acacia baileyana can't I don't hold out much hope for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

They dont like the wind at all. And their roots stink. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭standardg60

New Home wrote: »
    I'm not too familiar with that tree, I do know from personal experience, though, that acacia dealbata is NOT all that hardy at all, if you don't protect it very well from the frost and keep it nice and snug it will die on you. Many years ago I had a very large one that was growing in a huge pot in a very sunny, sheltered corner between the house and the granny flat, it grew very tall (it was up to the roof of a 2-storey house!!) and we couldn't find a fleece big enough to protect it (or a way of actually getting that high up to cover it with the fleece), and it didn't last the winter. I was really sorry to see it go. This could be different, though.

Yep if the temp. goes below -10 they are done for. Also had a lovely one growing in my garden but the winter of 09/10 demolished it. It made a valiant attempt at resprouting from the trunk the following year but 10/11 finished it off.

That is a fabulous baileyana 'Purpurea' btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Anyone know what this is? I saw it growing by the shores of Lough Cullen the other day, about 5-7 inches tall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

MacDanger wrote: »
    Anyone know what this is? I saw it growing by the shores of Lough Cullen the other day, about 5-7 inches tall

One of the native orchids. Did it have a scent? Could be the fragrant orchid. Normally blooms a bit later in the year, but it has been very fine.

http://www.irishorchidsociety.org/ireland/

• Advertisement

It's a Marsh Orchid, Dactylorhiza sp. Difficult to id more precisely, possibly Irish Marsh Orchid, one of our very few endemic plant species.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

Can anyone name these shrubs. I have mostly paved garden with a small patch of grass about 4.5ft x 20ft and was thinking of doing something similar to the attached. I cant embed the pic for some reason.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Speedsie wrote: »
    One of the native orchids. Did it have a scent? Could be the fragrant orchid. Normally blooms a bit later in the year, but it has been very fine.

It's a Marsh Orchid, Dactylorhiza sp. Difficult to id more precisely, possibly Irish Marsh Orchid, one of our very few endemic plant species.

I've one of those in an old growbag, it sprouted spontaneously a good few years ago. It's just starting to bloom now, and my garden is a suntrap! Lovely to see one so muxh kore ahead than mine. :) (Mine has two stems, though, so there! :))
    515853.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

I've one of those in an old growbag, it sprouted spontaneously a good few years ago. It's just starting to bloom now, and my garden is a suntrap! Lovely to see one so muxh kore ahead than mine. :) (Mine has two stems, though, so there! :))

Funnily enough they will do that but not grow where you want them. Its all to do with a symbiotic relationship orchids have with mycorrhiza https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orchid_mycorrhiza

A mate used to try and grow hardy orchids but they came up much better in with other plants he had potted up.

If you have the mycrorrhiza in that old growbag you could take out a little of it and spread it on the top of some fresh compost in clean pots then leave the pots near the flowers; might be a good chance of growing some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,481 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Can anyone name these shrubs. I have mostly paved garden with a small patch of grass about 4.5ft x 20ft and was thinking of doing something similar to the attached. I cant embed the pic for some reason.

Its difficult to say from the pic, but it appears to be a mix of small leaved shrubs such as box, lonicera nitida, euonymous, berberis, hebe and some dwarf conifers, but the pic isn't very clear.

Some of these will naturally grow compact but others will need careful and frequent trimming to keep tidy and to size - that border represents quite a lot of work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

I think these are the last of the unknowns in the garden.

This is showing no signs of flowers. The leaves are leathery, and tough, scratchy.

This one is annoying me. It's sending those tendrils everywhere. They don't appear to be taking hold though. I tried to put them in a pot to see if they'd take root and they didn't.

No sign of any flowers either....

I'm excited to see the flowers on these.

As an aside, those daisy's are prolific and pretty but so messy!!! Tall, gangly.

And an update.

They are tall....but still no flower sign. No sign of propagation or invasion.

Clarabel wrote: »
    This one is annoying me. It's sending those tendrils everywhere. They don't appear to be taking hold though. I tried to put them in a pot to see if they'd take root and they didn't.

Looks like a common creeping buttercup, not tendrils but runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Speedsie wrote: »

Not sure on the scent but I'll check this weekend if I'm back there. There were loads of them around

I'm excited to see the flowers on these.

As an aside, those daisy's are prolific and pretty but so messy!!! Tall, gangly.

Looks like Oxeye daisy or dog daisy, very common but very pretty, I love them. http://wildflowersofireland.net/plant_detail.php?id_flower=84&Wildflower=Daisy,%20Oxeye

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The pinky ones would be some kind of pelargonium. The ones with trailing leaves could be trailing buttercup. The tall ones near the daisies with pinkish buds, I've no idea, I can't see them well from the phone.

looksee wrote: »
    Looks like a common creeping buttercup, not tendrils but runners.

Runners that's the word!

I'm surprised the runners aren't rooting though.

The pinky ones would be some kind of pelargonium. The ones with trailing leaves could be trailing buttercup. The tall ones near the daisies with pinkish buds, I've no idea, I can't see them well from the phone.

Aye the pink ones are pelargonium, it's the green foliage next to them that I'm after. There's no sign of any flowers on it.

Okay consensus seems to be buttercup, I'll pull it up and pot it in case the flowers aren't yellow...

• Advertisement

The tall ones with the pink flower buds could be clarkia, but I'm not sure what variety. I'll keep looking for the other rough looking ones, they look familiar, I think my mother had them (or rather, they grew!).

515853.jpg

This one is Common Spotted Orchid, Dactylorhiza fuchsii, probably our commonest orchid

And an update.

They are tall....but still no flower sign. No sign of propagation or invasion.

Yes, these are Persicaria campanulata, Lesser Knotweed, that sight in my garden would bring me out in a cold sweat!

I don't think this is Creeping Buttercup, that usually has three lobes, not five. Maybe a hardy Geranium?

I don't think this is Creeping Buttercup, that usually has three lobes, not five. Maybe a hardy Geranium?

I would tend to agree, though both the geranium and the buttercups leaves vary a bit and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference in a pic. Herb Robert stems look rather like that but the leaves are completely different. They look rather like runners of buttercups, but I think you might be on to something with the geraniums. I'd expect either to be in flower at the moment.

It's definitely something that was given to me.and I planted. I was hoping it's a geranium but it's not flowered yet which I thought it would have by now.

However I have more clues.
    There are two plants which look like they come from the same crown....

Green thick stems, quite frilly leaves. Looks like a group of 3 leaves with 3 points.
    Thin red stem looks like a 5 point leaf to me

The hardy geraniums have 3 pointed leaves, well the 2 varieties I have in the garden anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭finla

That first picture is 100% creeping buttercup. It's coming up between the roots of your geranium, it's what they do. It will completely take over if allowed.

The 3 3 leaf is definitely a creeping butter cup. 100% confident of that. Identical pictures to Google

There are two species there, Yes the Creeping Buttercup is the one with light green, hairy stems and stolons. As said, a pest. The other I do think is a Geranium. I took a look at some growing near me, and they are sending out similar. It is surprising that there are no flowers with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭standardg60

I think these are the last of the unknowns in the garden.

This is showing no signs of flowers. The leaves are leathery, and tough, scratchy.

That could be a Gerbera

Advertisement